Internet Explorer 7 came out on Wednesday (October 18, 2006). Here’s how to add the ESV to the list of search engines you can use directly from the browser.
- Open Internet Explorer 7.
- Go to http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/. (Now’s a good time to make use of tabbed browsing if you’re reading this blog in IE7. Right-click the previous link and choose “Open in New Tab” or click the link using the scroll wheel on your mouse. Now the blog is in one tab and the ESV text is in another. Switch between the tabs as necessary to follow these instructions.)
- Click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.
- Hover over “Add Search Providers” and choose “ESV Bible” from the submenu.
- Click the “Add Provider” button in the dialog box that appears.
- Now choose “ESV Bible” from the dropdown menu next to the search box whenever you want to search the ESV.
If you ever want to remove it, choose “Change Search Defaults…” from the same dropdown menu you just used.
This feature is IE7-specific at the moment, but the forthcoming Firefox 2.0 browser will have something similar. (We currently have a plugin for Firefox 1.5 and below.)