The main ESV Bible web site receives over 100,000 unique visitors a month, up from 1,000 visitors a month when it launched in July 2002. Over the past five years, Crossway has led innovation in Internet access to the Bible. Key events include:
- February 2003: Crossway launches a Bible web service API, allowing other web sites to display the ESV text on their sites and create innovative “mashups.”
- July 2003: Crossway makes the ESV available as an RSS feed, becoming the first Bible publisher to embrace RSS.
- April 2005: Crossway begins the ESV Bible Blog, which is regularly updated with news and links about the ESV.
- January 2006: Crossway allows people to hear any verse or combination of verses in the ESV streamed over the Internet. This feature is still unique among Bible web sites, which typically require listening to complete chapters from the Bible, not individual verses.
- May 2006: Crossway launches its first mobile-friendly web site.
- May 2006: Crossway makes its devotions available in iCal format for integration with Google Calendar.
Crossway just published another press release that discusses an iPhone book-browsing application. It lets you browse and search the full text of many of Crossway’s most-recent books. Try it at http://www.crossway.org/m.