Home > Crossway Blog > Make Use of the Inside Flap of Your Bible

Make Use of the Inside Flap of Your Bible

Billy at Joy in the Journey shares, as a pastor, what he places on the inside flap of his Bibles: ten counsels from the book The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper (based on Jonathan Edwards’s preaching):

After my first reading of this book, the final “10” counsels revolutionized my philosophy of preaching. I was behooved to summarize each point with one or two sentences and typed them out onto a word processor. Then, I printed the document out in a smaller form which fit the measurements of the inside flap of my Bible’s front cover. I used stick glue to neatly fit the paper into my Bible’s cover where I could carry these admonitions with me everywhere I spoke, taught, or preached. Anytime I had the opportunity to preach or teach the Word, I would read these points over and over again letting their wise counsel seep deeply into my being. This technique has so changed my preaching that you can literally track my preaching methods before and after reading Piper’s book. Since that first copy and paste endeavor, I have placed that same handout into four different Bibles spanning from my full size NIV Thompson Chain Reference to my ESV Thinline.

We know that other people write Bible verses they use to help share Christ with others.

What do you use the inside flap of your Bible for? Comments are open (temporarily) on this post if you’d like to share. Comments are now closed. Thanks to everyone who commented.

October 22, 2007 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible Study,Life & Doctrine,The Christian Life | Author: Crossway Staff @ 8:37 am | (10) Comments »

10 Comments

1. There are some very special memories and sermon sayings written on the inside and back flap (and other blank pages next to them) of Bibles I have used in the past. They are like a journal of things God used as spiritual stepping stones in my life.

Comment by Wayne Leman — October 22, 2007 @ 9:47 am

2. I place there what God is currently challenging me about in my life. I need to be reminded and challenged to actually do something about it.

Comment by Glenn Piper — October 22, 2007 @ 9:47 am

3. I write the names of God. Especially when they truly mean something to me. Names like Deliverer, Stronghold, High Tower, Strength, My Song, My Hope, King, Savior, Messiah, Fortress, My Friend, Father, Comfort, and My Song.

As I go through trials or joys, sometimes a new name will come to me that exemplifies who He is and what He has done. When I have dark times, I refer to Him as my Light. In times of joy, He is my Song.

Comment by matthew — October 22, 2007 @ 9:49 am

4. It took me several years to even write or highlight in my Bibles. I don’t know why, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. However, when I felt led to make this little “preaching help” and put it in my Bible, I just couldn’t resist. It has been tremendously beneficial and the Lord has really used these principles to shape and sharpen my preaching. It is also encouraging to read the other ways within the body of Christ that different believers make the most of their inside flaps for the glory of Christ and the good of their spiritual growth. Thanks ESV blog for highlighting my post. Grace and Peace.

Comment by Billy Marsh — October 22, 2007 @ 10:44 am

5. This past year on my 40th birthday, I wrote 27 resolutions for my life (inspired by Jonathan Edwards). These are written on the inside cover of my Bible as a daily reminder. Don’t worry, I won’t take the time to mention all 27 here.

Comment by Rod Carroll — October 22, 2007 @ 3:53 pm

6. For the past couple of years, I have had the Tanak Ordering of the Hebrew Bible on the front inside flap of my Bible. This has helped me see some of the intertextual references and facets of the canonical shape of the Hebrew Bible that I would have otherwise missed.

Comment by Ched — October 22, 2007 @ 8:12 pm

7. I have a “cheat sheet” with all of my marking symbols for inductive study on the inside flap of mine. It helps me remain consistent in my markings throughout my Bible during various studies.

Comment by Scott — October 23, 2007 @ 7:00 am

8. Hope this isn’t too off topic but does the glue stick last a long time? Are there any disadvantages to using glue stick? Thanks.

Comment by ScriptureZealot — October 23, 2007 @ 11:47 am

9. ScriptureZealot,
    Yes, the glue stick lasts a long time. It works well because if you every wanted to take the sheet off, it probably does the least amount of damage to your Bible. So far, I haven’t had any of the sheets that I’ve glued into my inside flap come off.

Comment by Billy Marsh — October 23, 2007 @ 11:53 am

10. I use the cover to write the names and contact information of the new people I meet at church each week as well as prayer needs I agree to pray for.

Comment by Jacob Hantla — October 25, 2007 @ 7:44 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.