Home > Crossway Blog > Biblemap.org Direct Links

Biblemap.org Direct Links

As we’ve drawn your attention to in the past, BibleMap.org integrates Google Maps and the ESV text to create an interactive Bible atlas. We interviewed Tim Kimberly about it back in 2007.

BibleMap.org recently added two major features to enhance the usability. Users are now able to link directly to any location or chapter, allowing bloggers, pastors, teachers, or general students of the Bible to send people directly to a biblical location or chapter on Google maps.  Also, as you browse the site it now continues to regenerate the URL so you can easily send people directly to a biblical location.

Here’s the format for the links:

or

January 21, 2009 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: James Kinnard @ 9:42 am | (8) Comments »

1. I do not agree that the ESV is a good Bible translation.
    Recently I have been doing Bible comparisions.
    Here is why I don’t like the ESV.

This is a comparision of the KJV and the ESV
    from the passage Acts 8:36,37,38

___
    ESV

Act 8:36
    And as they were going along the road
    they came to some water, and the eunuch said,
    “See, here is water! What prevents me from
    being baptized?”

Act 8:37
    Omitted from the ESV.

Act 8:38
    And he commanded the chariot to stop,
    and they both went down into the water, Philip
    and the eunuch, and he baptized him.

___
    KJV

Act 8:36
    And as they went on [their] way, they came
    unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See,
    here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

Act 8:37
    And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine
    heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I
    believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Act 8:38
    And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and
    they went down both into the water, both Philip
    and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Why does the ESV take out verse 37?
    The verse that talks about believing that Jesus
    Christ is the son of God. A very big part of the
    salvation plan.

I would really like to know what your answer is.

Comment by Melanie M. — February 10, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

2. Melanie M.,

I looked up Acts 8:37 in the ESV (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ac+8:37) and other versions (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Act&chapter=8&verse=37), and it seems that many modern translations have removed it since it didn’t appear in the earliest known manuscripts. When some ancient manuscripts have a passage and other ancient manuscripts lack a passage, translators have to make a judgment about what they think was most likely in the original autograph.

Comment by Justin Calvarese — February 28, 2009 @ 5:27 pm

3. The New American Standard uses brackets to indicate a verse is not found in most manuscripts. This provides the reader with this information without being so all-knowing as to remove it. I am more comfortable with that.

Comment by Donna Lee — March 19, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

4. If the ESV is supposed to be a direct link from the KJV and more importantly the Geneva Bible, why not keep Acts 8:37 since those two Bibles maintain that verse. It does to me seem, that important, to keep such a profound statement of the gospel as opposed to outright omit it. I also don’t like how Isaiah 45:7, 1 John 5:7 and many other versus were reworded or partially omitted when compared to the Geneva and King James Bibles. Any feedback?

Comment by John C. — October 31, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

5. I find it interesting there is no response from Crossway.

Comment by Jamie — August 19, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

6. Simply desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is simply cool and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

Comment by игровые автоматы играть бесплатно — March 24, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

7. There is visibly a bundle to realize about this. I assume you made some nice points in features also.

Comment by bonus slotlari — April 22, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

8. You could definitely see your skills in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

Comment by игровые автоматы играть — May 27, 2013 @ 6:06 pm