Home > Crossway Blog > ESV Available for Free on Amazon’s Kindle

ESV Available for Free on Amazon’s Kindle

kindle_esv_gen11

Coinciding with Amazon’s release of the Kindle 2 , we are pleased to announce free access to the ESV text for all Kindle or Kindle 2 users.

You can find and download the ESV Bible by searching for “ESV” in the Kindle Store.

Update: The above offer for free download has expired.

February 24, 2009 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: James Kinnard @ 9:25 am | (18) Comments »

1. I don’t regret paying for my copy when I first received my Kindle(1) last year. It has been a very helpful tool.

Comment by Jerry — February 24, 2009 @ 10:49 am

2. Great stuff. Can’t find anything similar for free on the iTunes store for the iPhone. Seems that iPhone users need to pay for it, while Kindle users don’t. Is that correct?

Comment by Murray — February 24, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

3. Murray, thank you for your question. You’re correct in noting the various ESV iPhone applications are available for purchase.

However, adding the ESV mobile URL to your iPhone homescreen is a free option, which I believe works really well. That address is http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/mobile.

That said, we are constantly developing tools to make God’s Word more accessible so stay tuned…

Comment by James — February 24, 2009 @ 1:26 pm

4. OK, NOW I really want a Kindle! I bet I would still get funny looks from fellow churchgoers when I pulled out the Kindle to follow along w/the sermon though! The first time I did this w/a PDA some years back, everybody thought I was playing w/my “little computer” instead of listening to the sermon!

Comment by glenn — February 24, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

5. Murray,

For the iPhone give the YouVersion app a try (it’s simply called Bible by LifeChurch.tv). It’s a free app and can use the ESV in online mode … the app does support offline versions, but the ESV isn’t among them. I’ve used it a little so far and it seems like a good choice – it could use a nicer icon though :).

Comment by Denis — February 24, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

6. How very nice of you to give away the ESV for free on the Kindle. How about giving away the kindle as well? haha. jk. kinda. ;-)

Comment by spudart — February 24, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

7. from parchment to eBook file… that’s pretty cool

Comment by coffee — February 24, 2009 @ 9:11 pm

8. Uh-oh. I now have a solid justification for buying a Kindle – now to justify the expense….

Comment by brad — February 25, 2009 @ 5:02 pm

9. I think it is great that you are offering the ESV text for free electronically in so many different places. The ESV is the best translation that I can read for free on my computers (BibleTime and BP Bible) and my PDA (Nokia N800- Rapier). It is now my preferred translation and I own a physical copy of it.

Of course, I don’t have a Kindle. I have thought about it, and I will definitely use the ESV on it if I ever get one. However, my N800 works well enough for me for now.

Comment by Jake — February 25, 2009 @ 10:12 pm

10. The ESV Bible was the very first thing I put on my Kindle the moment it arrived. I would have been happy to pay for it, but I was delighted to receive it free. The Kindle is a great tool for me as I have some arthritis in my hands and holding the ESV in my hands during a church service can be a bit painful. The ESV on the very lightweight Kindle is a perfect solution to this problem.
    Thank you for the wonderful work you have done in producing this Bible. I am constantly amazed at the maps, charts, articles, etc., that add so much to my study of God’s word. It is a great blessing from God to His people.

Comment by Lorraine — March 2, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

11. Thanks for giving the ESV away for free on the Kindle. I have an ipod touch but no Kindle at this time. I plan to use the kindle app to read the ESV when I am not near a wifi connection.

Comment by Mark M — March 4, 2009 @ 10:04 pm

12. Does the ESV on the Kindle include the cross-references, and can those be navigated like they can be on the online ESV Study Bible? I’ve never seen a Kindle, but would like to buy one. How easy is it to jump from one place to another, like one would have to do during a sermon?

Comment by Brad — March 27, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

13. It looks like the ESV is no longer free. It now shows for $7.99.

Can this be corrected?

Thanks,
    Charles

Comment by Charles — June 8, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

14. I noticed the same thing as Charles. Is the ESV no longer free?

Comment by Paul — June 23, 2009 @ 3:07 am

15. How about making it available for Barnes & Nobles nook?

Comment by William — January 14, 2010 @ 3:08 am

16. Have you checked out the various Kindle Bibles that have been prepared by osnova (http://osnovapress.wordpress.com/)? They incorporate what he calls Direct Verse Jump navigation to make it far easier to navigate to a particular verse on the Kindle. So far, he’s done KJV, ASV, NET, and a few others, but it’d be great if Crossway would be willing to work with or pay him to create a similar version for the ESV…

Comment by Eric — January 22, 2010 @ 2:29 am

17. Thanks for providing this! Like Lorraine above, it was the first thing I put on the Kindle2 when it arrived. I’ve been using it for awhile now and have just noticed that there might be a obvious text error at Psalm 106:4. Or is that just on my reader?

Comment by Wei-Han — June 20, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

18. Wei-Han,
    Thank you for you comment. I’m not seeing the text error you are referencing, but you may be looking at an older file. Did you receive the file update with the improved navigation a few months ago? If you didn’t, I would suggest writing to Amazon’s Customer Service to request the updated file. In addition to the improved navigation, we have also corrected some errors that were found in the previous file. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Comment by Liz Young — June 21, 2011 @ 9:18 am