Home > Crossway Blog > Help Us Choose a Cover for “Leaders Who Last”

Help Us Choose a Cover for “Leaders Who Last”

This coming February Crossway will be publishing a new book by Dave Kraft called Leaders Who Last, and we’d like your vote for the book’s cover. Here’s a short description:

If the Christian life is like a race, we must admit that too many Christian leaders stumble, burn out, or veer off the track. Clearly, it’s not automatic that a leader will finish well.

Based on Dave Kraft’s thirty-five years of leading, teaching leadership, and coaching dozens of Christian leaders, Leaders Who Last moves through three stages of leadership: foundations, formation, and fruitfulness. Concise, anecdotal, and packed with wisdom, this book will help you aim your ambitions, refine your character, and position yourself to be an effective leader who endures.

Please vote for your favorite cover below (and feel free to leave any comments). Thanks for taking the time to participate in this survey. We value your input!

September 29, 2009 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Crossway Staff @ 2:21 pm | (10) Comments »

1. #3 makes me think. I want to turn to page 13 and find out more.

I don’t like #2, maybe I’m too old (38) but it didn’t hit me.
    #1 is okay … a little plain, but I get it.

Comment by Tim Schaaf — September 29, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

2. Definitely no.1, although I would like to see more of runners torso.

Comment by dallas — September 29, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

3. I like #2, although it might look like the guy shoved the other runner down. Ambition!

Comment by nate downey — September 29, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

4. 1 is the best. Clear, not confusing, and to the point. Running the race of faith is a Biblical idea, and beating burnout seems to come with the territory.

2 is not clear. It looks too sexual, and the tall man’s head is lopsided (arms not real looking). Don’t choose this unless you’re going for Brokeback Mountaineers.

3 is not clear either. Confusing, like a graveyard. When I think of leaders, I don’t think of graveyards. It’s mixing the metaphors of winning a race and dying. My grandma just died, and everybody dies. Dying is not losing the race. To live is Christ and to die is gain.

Honestly, you should either come up with a better title, or governing metaphor for this book, because none of the covers really seem to make me interested in buying a book on leadership. What age/demographic is this targeting? Teenagers? High school students attending FCA or Young Life?

Comment by Rick — September 29, 2009 @ 3:55 pm

5. I like #3 for the same reason as Tim Schaaf above. It makes me think and paints a clear picture. What is on page 13?

Comment by Tom Antis — September 29, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

6. I picked number three as well, but I would like number one better if you pinned a real label onto a real real shirt on a real torso and photographed that, maybe with a bit of sweat running down the neck. The image of the label on the scan of the fabric is too flat and static…

Comment by Peter — September 29, 2009 @ 4:09 pm

7. I actually didn’t pick one, because I didn’t like any of the three. I agree with Peter about #1 – it looks like a poorly done photoshop as it is, and I’d rather see a real picture. And it reminds me of jr. high gym class (something about the red ‘wifebeater’), not the picture of a true leader.

I like the graphic styling of #2, but agree with Nate that it looks like foul play is involved and with Rick that it has sexual overtones.

From far away #3 looks great, but my first thought on closer look – along with Rick – was that those are gravestones. I’m not sure that’s the image you want. And the grunge look is kind of trendy, but it’ll date the book in a year or so. Grunge is not here to stay.

Comment by Kathy — September 30, 2009 @ 5:29 am

8. I would do #1 if you can do it with real photography instead of computer graphics. Otherwise do #3.

Comment by Ben — September 30, 2009 @ 5:58 am

9. 3 with “be the other 33%” in the empty space, minus the reference to the page number it’s tacky.

Comment by Brian — September 30, 2009 @ 8:18 am