Home > Crossway Blog > Free on Kindle – In My Place Condemned He Stood

Free on Kindle – In My Place Condemned He Stood

9781433502002In My Place Condemned He Stood by J.I. Packer and Mark Dever is now available for free on Kindle this month. Download your copy here.

(*Please note that we are pursuing similar partnerships with other eBook providers as well and look forward to future opportunities).

J.I. Packer on how we have lost our grip on the Biblical Gospel (excerpt from chapter 4):

Without realizing it, we have during the past century bartered the gospel for a substitute product which, though it looks similar enough in points of detail, is as a whole a decidedly different thing. Hence our troubles; for the substitute product does not answer the ends for which the authentic gospel has in past days proved itself so mighty. Why?

Whereas the chief aim of the old was to teach men to worship God, the concern of the new seems limited to making them feel better. The subject of the old gospel was God and his ways with men; the subject of the new is man and the help God gives him. There is a world of difference. The whole perspective and emphasis of gospel preaching has changed.

From this change of interest has sprung a change of content, for the new gospel has in effect reformulated the biblical message in the supposed interests of “helpfulness.”

To recover the old, authentic, biblical gospel, and to bring our preaching and practice back into line with it, is perhaps our most pressing present need.

January 4, 2010 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Crossway Staff @ 8:17 am | (8) Comments »

1. Awesome…Thanks!

Comment by Chris Bell — January 4, 2010 @ 8:33 am

2. Awesome, it would be great to have this same offer on the nook (or at least available as an epub from the blog)!

Comment by David F. — January 5, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

3. Pair this with the free Kindle app that Amazon is offering and you’ve got a free ebook!! – http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

Comment by Warren — January 5, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

4. I’m not sure why, but when I clicked on the link this was advertised on the Amazon site for $2.00. Is this to cover international delivery, perhaps?

Comment by Paul Clutterbuck — January 6, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

5. I echo David F. It would be nice to see these books offered in epub for the wide range of e-readers and not the kindle alone. I use a nook and cannot use kindle formats. Epub or pdf would make these resources available across a wider range and not just for one device alone.

Comment by William — January 25, 2010 @ 12:23 am

6. [...] excerpt was taken from a book Titled “In My Place Condemned he Stood” by JI Packer and Mark [...]

Pingback by What is the “Peace of God?” — February 7, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

7. Shame on you offering in my place condem9ned he stood free on kindle and not keeping your word

Comment by ron woodrum — April 1, 2014 @ 3:21 pm

8. Ron,

This announcement was posted in January of 2010. The free offer was only available for one month.

Thanks,