Home > Crossway Blog > Now Available: ESV Bible for the iPad

Now Available: ESV Bible for the iPad

screen-shot-2010-04-03-at-102303-am

We’ve been working to get the ESV ready for the launch of Apple’s iPad. We are pleased to announce that the ESV iPad app, the “ESV Bible,” is now available for free in the iTunes store.

ESV Bible currently offers the same features as the iPhone App but has been optimized to take advantage of the iPad’s new interface.

April 3, 2010 | Posted in: Digital,ESV,General,Study Bibles | Author: James Kinnard @ 10:42 am | (51) Comments »

1. When can we expect an Android app? Thanks.

Comment by Jerry — April 3, 2010 @ 11:27 am

2. I’ve been using olive tree esv on my iPod for a while, and it’s really good. When I found the free esv bible from crossway, I was so surprised! It’s so easy to read and use! The UI is really transparent, so it makes reading the focus. I downloaded the esv app onto the new iPad today and found it already optimized for the larger screen! Esv on the iPad seems to me to be the best Bible reading experience I’ve ever seen on a screen! Thanks so much for making it available today! We will be using it in church tomorrow.

Comment by Matt Hawes — April 3, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

3. Is there a way I can:

(a) hide section headings
    (b) hide sub-headings
    (c) hide verse numbers
    (d) hide chapter numbers
    (e) hide footnotes

I find reading with these options hidden to be incredibly helpful at times.

Comment by Turgs — April 10, 2010 @ 12:01 am

4. I had been useing crossway bible which required in teensy accses and when I was on a trip and wanted to read I couldn’t till I found this one and I love it it is much easier to use and read!

Comment by Nicole — April 13, 2010 @ 9:49 am

5. Turgs:

Thanks for these suggestions! At this time these functions are not available, but we will keep them in mind for future updates.

Thanks again! Yours for the Gospel, The Crossway ESVOnline Team

Comment by bkrueger — April 19, 2010 @ 6:49 am

6. If anyone’s interested, I just posted my review on This Lamp: http://thislamp.com/?p=715

Comment by R. Mansfield — April 22, 2010 @ 11:00 am

7. Wow! I really love the ESV app on my iPad. Great work. Is there a chance that the ESV Study Bible might be released as an app also?

Comment by Jeremy — April 23, 2010 @ 7:21 am

8. R. Mansfield:
    Thanks for the great review!

Comment by bkrueger — April 23, 2010 @ 9:27 am

9. Jeremy:
    This news just in from the Crossway app-labs: If you think the ESV HD app is great, make sure you look out for the ESV PLUS app coming soon.

Comment by bkrueger — April 23, 2010 @ 9:32 am

10. Perhaps I’m missing this feature, but sync of notes, history and highlights between the iPad and iPhone apps would be really great. Also, multiple colors for highlighting would be nice. Again, really like what you’ve done so far.

Comment by Jeremy — May 6, 2010 @ 7:15 am

11. I’m really loving the app, but I’m getting a weird authentication error when trying to post verses to Twitter? It tells me that Twitter has rejected my username/password, but the verses are getting posted? Just thought I’d let you know!

Comment by Nile — May 15, 2010 @ 11:26 am

12. Wow, really impressed with what you’ve done here. Scrolling is great, and being able to access offline is amazing! Thanks for opening up such a great translation to so many users.

Comment by Dave Arkell — June 2, 2010 @ 11:16 am

13. I just downloaded the iPad app and so far it looks great. Will there be a version available for those of us with the ESV Study Bible?

Also, I have a browser question related to the iPad.

When I view the http://www.esvstudybible.org/online sight in Safari on my MacBook Pro or iMac 24 I get the listen prompt. When I view the same sight in Safari there is no listen prompt. I don’t know if that is a Safari problem, iPad problem or Crossway problem.

Comment by Johnny Sewell — July 3, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

14. Mr. Sewell,

Thanks for your interest in the ESV Study Bible and ESV digital. In response to your question, yes, there will be a ESV Study Bible iPad version available in the next couple of weeks. With regards to the listening issue, our tech staff suggests that this may be a Safari issue. We will be looking into this possible error. For the time being, we recommend utilizing the “listen” capabilities of the ESV Online (www.esvonline.org).

Thanks again!

Comment by bkrueger — July 16, 2010 @ 9:46 am

15. Love ESV for iPad and can’t wait to get the study bible version!

Only bug driving me crazy is highlighting. It doesn’t select words well. Sometimes it selects 4-5 words after that I don’t want to select. Pls look into this.

Thanks.

Comment by Josh Perkins — July 19, 2010 @ 7:50 am

16. Hi,

Will the online study bible be available as a downloadable app for the IPAD. I use this so much online but I would love to be able to use it on my Ipad and sync what I work on from the IPAD to the online site and vice versa. Thank your for your dedication and hard work on the ESV and these applications. They have enriched both my life as a pastor and the lives of my church family. God Bless you in all that you do.

Gary Butler

Comment by Gary Butler — November 8, 2010 @ 9:21 am

17. Gary — great question. We do have a study Bible as a downloadable app for your iPad: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/esv-study-bible/id383313652?mt=8

Is that what you were looking for?

I’ll ask about whether this app can be synced with the ESV online …

Comment by Ted Slater — November 9, 2010 @ 9:29 am

18. Gary — good news. I’ve just spoken with one of our developers, and he’s confirmed that the mobile app will sync with the ESV online. They’re working on that feature, and expect to make it available by February 2011. Ah, now the long wait … :-)

I have to add that I appreciate your service as a pastor, Gary, for pouring your life into serving those the Lord has placed under your care. May the Lord richly bless your family and your congregation.

Comment by Ted Slater — November 9, 2010 @ 9:59 am

19. Love the Study + iPad app. It’s probably my most-used app. Maybe I’m missing it, but is there any way to reverse the colors (ie. white text on black background) for use in my darkened church sanctuary? I’d love to use this in church, but feel self-conscious when the iPad lights up the room like a Maglight.

Comment by Josh Bishop — November 21, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

20. I’ll look into that, Josh. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment by Ted Slater — November 22, 2010 @ 10:56 am

21. Just purchased the Study+ app and really enjoy the appearance etc, but I cant get the highlight option to work. Is there something I can do to get this working?

Comment by Glenn — December 2, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

22. Regarding the highlighting option again- this options works on my iphone but not on my ipad. Any reason for that?

Comment by Glenn — December 2, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

23. Glenn — thanks for the bug report. Our developers will get on it right away.

Comment by Ted Slater — December 2, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

24. it appears to be sorted now thanks

Comment by Glenn — December 2, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

25. Glenn — are you saying that the glitch has worked itself out? Was something configured differently between your two devices?

Comment by Ted Slater — December 3, 2010 @ 8:35 am

26. For some reason the highlight function works at some times and not on others. For instance it worked 20 min ago but now has stopped????

Comment by Glenn — December 13, 2010 @ 1:47 am

27. Nothing was configured differently.
    What action can I take to fix this?

Comment by Glenn — December 13, 2010 @ 2:16 am

28. Is there a way to change highlighting colors? Great app, btw.

Comment by Mike lawyer — December 17, 2010 @ 2:20 am

29. Mike — At this point, there’s but one highlighting color. I’d love to hear how you might use additional highlighting colors.

Comment by Ted Slater — December 17, 2010 @ 9:08 am

30. Hey guys, the highlight bug is still a problem. It seemed to have started right after iOS 4.2 was released for the iPad. I can fix it by rebooting the iPad, but the problem comes back several times a day.

BTW, is there a way to highlight only a few words in a verse? Sometimes I only want to draw attention to one phrase or word. Is that a feature in the study bible?

I love this app. You guys did a great job. I have found myself in the Word way more now that I always have it with me. And I don’t have to cram my notes into the margins anymore!

Comment by Tim Stewart — December 27, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

31. The highlight and favorites still do not work for no apparent reason. I highlighted one verse, went to another one and tried to highlight it and got nothing.

Any ideas when this bug might be fixed? Does anyone know if the same problem exists in the study bible version?

Comment by Darin — January 6, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

32. Darin et al. — good news! That is a recognized bug, and our developers have been working hard to fix it. We’re expecting to roll out the new version, sans bug, this weekend.

Comment by Ted Slater — January 6, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

33. I love this app. The only thing that would make it better for me is to have a way to select a book or chapter without having to scroll down, and also the ability to select a verse as well. I seem to spend a lot of time scrolling either through the book/chapter list or through the chapter I’ve selected as I try to get to a specific verse. I really like the way the Olive Tree 4 iPad app let you select book, chapter and verse. There was a button for each on the top bar. When the book button was selected, all 66 books of the Bible were visible — no scrolling. The same was true of chapters and verses as well. The new version makes it a little more difficult.

Comment by Jeff — January 14, 2011 @ 12:14 am

34. This is by far my favorite app! It is so smooth and easy to use.

I have a feature request: I would love to be able to make notes on just a word or a phrase, or to be able to have my note span several verses. (and then be visible as pertaining to any of the verses.)

Also, I echo the previous request for the option to be able to highlight just a portion of a verse.

Thanks!

Comment by Diana Murphy — January 17, 2011 @ 9:34 am

35. I can’t seem to get my notes and bookmarks to sync between the iPhone and iPad. Am I doing something wrong or will this be updated?

Love the ESV apps. Thanks.

Comment by Stan — February 13, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

36. Stan — our developers are working on providing that functionality. Look for syncing between iPhone and iPad — and ESVBible.org — a bit later this year.

Comment by Ted Slater — February 14, 2011 @ 8:59 am

37. Will there be an option to highlight a word or portion of a verse? Similar to what you can do in iBooks. I find this to be helpful when practicing bible study techniques (i.e. highlighting repeated words in scripture). Thank you.

Comment by Traun Brodhead — April 27, 2011 @ 7:20 am

38. Yep, the iPad app does have this function.

Comment by Angie Cheatham — April 27, 2011 @ 11:22 am

39. Thank you so much for sharing.

Comment by shibu lekshman — May 21, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

40. Another suggestion: when the iPad is in landscape mode, could the screen be split between the text and study notes or my notes? When taking notes from a sermon, it is a pain to keep closing and reopening a note, in order to read the text. The text doesn’t fill the page anyway…

Thanks!

Comment by Diana Murphy — June 19, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

41. I use the ESV Study Bible on my iPad 2 and sometimes the function used for highlighting, making notes, dictionary, etc. would stop working. Is there something I can do about this? Also, is there any way to back up my notes? Great job, guys – I really enjoy using the study Bible with all these great funtions!

Comment by Marike — February 7, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

42. Marike, unfortunately we don’t have a way to back up notes at this time, although we’re looking into what that would involve. Are you using the ESV Study Bible mobile app (called “ESV Study +”)? Or are you accessing ESVBible.org via mobile safari?

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 7, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

43. Andrew, I’m using the ESV Study Bible that I downloaded on my iPad 2 with iBooks.

Comment by Marike — February 7, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

44. Marike, that’s an interesting problem. There shouldn’t be any problem with the ESV Study Bible file itself – it sounds like it’s a problem with the iBooks app. You might try contacting Apple to see if they have any ideas. They also might have information on ways to back up your notes in iBooks. Hope they’re able to help!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 7, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

45. I have access to the esv study bible online. I like the iPad app idea, but it looks like I have to pay for the app? So it would be like I paid twice for the study Bible. Is there a way to get the app free since I am a ESVSB online user?

Comment by Vincent Ramirez — July 13, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

46. Vincent, thanks for your comment. While both the online ESVSB and the iPad app contain the same study Bible content, it’s best to think of them as two separate products. There are two primary reasons we don’t offer the iPad app free to ESVSB online users: With the boundaries Apple sets for developers this would be prohibitively difficult. Additionally, mobile apps require a lot of resources to produce, and to continue to support free services like ESVBible.org we need to try to recoup some of the cost. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — July 16, 2012 @ 9:22 am

47. Thanks Andrew!

Comment by Vincent Ramirez — July 17, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

48. To do that, connect your ipad with your reckoner which ipad has some cyberspace connecter entropy.
    This gives you some canonic options for communion Photos to use the app’s preloaded word of honor template or get other templates from Pages, or Microsoft tidings text file via the Ipad’s email app.
    However, Mechanical man-based tablets a cast-load of iPhone 5s.

liaison and get the Best evolution China Times, which claims
    that the so-called “iPhone maths,” with 4.8-inch exhibit
    and 12 megapixel television camera, will be released in June.
    Can I get trading has fall a farseeing way.

Comment by ipad — February 6, 2013 @ 6:21 am

49. really like esv app for android. any way to get black backgrould with white text? sems only font option is size

Comment by bill terhune — April 1, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

50. I’ve just updated the latest ESV Bible app iPad and now it won’t work… :(

The moment I open the app, it quits. I’ve tried deleting it off my iPad and reinstalling it again. Still doesn’t work.

The horrible thing is now I’ve lost all my valuable notes and also Bible verses which I have favourited.

Would you be able to advise me what to do next (since the app does not work full stop) and is there any way to recover my notes, favourites, etc.?

Many thanks!

Comment by Hannah — January 17, 2014 @ 8:48 am

51. Hannah – I apologize for the problems you are experiencing! I’ve just emailed you with a response.

Comment by Lizzy Jeffers — January 17, 2014 @ 2:49 pm