Home > Crossway Blog > Introducing the New ESV Online!

Introducing the New ESV Online!

screen-shot-2010-04-14-at-120441-pm

Wheaton, IL (May 13, 2010)—Crossway is pleased to announce the new ESV Online. A key part of Crossway’s ESV Digital initiative, the ESV Online is a powerful and convenient tool giving access to the ESV Bible and other resources for understanding and applying God’s Word.

Free access to the ESV Online is now available by signing up at www.esvonline.org. Users are able to customize their own interface, highlight and mark verse numbers, add bookmark ribbons, search the ESV text, and manage personal notes. The free version also includes a variety of daily reading plans and devotional calendars.

Want to try the highly acclaimed ESV Study Bible free? For a limited time, everyone who signs up for an ESV Online account will receive a free 30 day trial access to the ESV Study Bible. Current Online ESV Study Bible users will be contacted via email over the coming weeks and will have their accounts migrated to the ESV Online site with access to all the study notes and resources. The Study Bible module is also available to purchase within the ESV Online platform or for free with the purchase of any print edition of the ESV Study Bible.

In addition to the above, Crossway is developing many more ESV Online modules to enhance the study of God’s Word. Stay tuned for the release of Greek tools, MacArthur study notes, commentaries, Bible Audio recordings in numerous languages, and much more!

Coming this summer, ESV Online users will be able to sync their account with mobile ESV Bible apps so personal highlights and notes can be accessed and updated anywhere.

Crossway also invites ESV Online users to offer their thoughts and suggestions for future improvements and new ESV Bible resources. We look forward to serving you with ESV digital initiatives and the development of innovative tools—to make the ESV Bible accessible to everyone, everywhere, every way.

May 13, 2010 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Crossway Staff @ 10:59 am | (42) Comments »

1. I already have an ESV Study Bible account online, and I have a newly created account with ESV Online. How do I link the two?

Comment by Ben Tsai — May 13, 2010 @ 11:33 am

2. Will crossway release a mobile version for Android?

Comment by Peter — May 13, 2010 @ 11:59 am

3. Can you PLEASE put in an interlinear text as well? How about parallel bible text to compare to? Maybe you could integrate it with biblegateway like the NET bible did?

Finally, could you please make an easy way to import an export someones existing bible notes?

Comment by Jon — May 13, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

4. The new ESV Online is truly awesome! Now there’s access to the ESV Study Bible and so many extras. One of the great benefits is the ability to search ESVSB notes, charts, illustrations and articles in addition to Scripture text.

The English Standard Version (ESV) stands along side the New American Standard Bible (NASB) as the best English translation. The ESVSB is the best study Bible of its kind and stands with the Thompson Chain as one of the two best ever made.

May God bless the study of His word!

Comment by Tim M. Kucij — May 13, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

5. I noticed some charts and articles in the ESVSB still do not populate when the icon is clicked. I’m sure they’re in the works.

Again, wonderful job. How precious it is to have such a powerful vehicle to study God’s infallible word!

Comment by Tim M. Kucij — May 13, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

6. Peter– Yes we will! Coming later this year.

Comment by bkrueger — May 14, 2010 @ 9:23 am

7. Wow Guys. this is really awesome. As a person who just switched to iPad I am loving this. Now, if you will just get the iPad and the new ESV Online as one app that would be awesome. I am looking at having a bible that will have highlights as well as my notes and to have access to the study bible notes that would be wonderful. I have an ESV Study Bible but is kind of big to preach out of. I am looking to do my preaching off my iPad.
    Thanks again for all that you guys are doing. LORD BLESS YOU ALL!

Comment by Kevin Grady — May 14, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

8. Any plans on including the ESV reading plans with the ESV iPhone app? It works very well at ESV Online – it would be great if my reading plan would sync with the ESV iPhone app as well!

Comment by Andrew — May 14, 2010 @ 5:59 pm

9. Well it’s be great if Crossway could introduce the ESV Stidy Bible as an app on the iPhone and the iPad, with those who bought the hard copy getting access to the app for free, perhaps by a one-off online authentication, where you sign in the first time you launch the app and following that, the app starts downloading the content to store offline once it’s verified.

Comment by Shawn — May 15, 2010 @ 11:47 am

10. My previous comment about resources not populating when the icons are clicked seems to have been an Internet Explorer issue. Everything works well with Google Chrome.

I did notice that when listening to the ESV that there’s a skip in Esther. The first six verses of Esther 7 are skipped.

Nevertheless, I am enjoying this tremendous study tool immensely!

Comment by Tim M. Kucij — May 15, 2010 @ 10:15 pm

11. Yes, we are working towards including reading plans in the ESVPlus app and potentially the ESV app as well. On the ESVonline side of things, we are also working on future enhancements like Reading Plan tracking which we hope to eventually also make available on our mobile apps.

Comment by bkrueger — May 17, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

12. Will you be adding the ESV Literary Study Bible notes to the ESV online?

Comment by Jamila — May 19, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

13. Don’t know where to leave this,but 1Sam 13:1 is missing Saul’s age and rule length
    Reader also doesn’t say. Using Cross connect. Android app

Comment by Austin — May 19, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

14. This is GREAT!!!! Thank you Crossway!!

Some comments (I am very excited of the direction you are going!!!!):

1. I love the idea of being able to sync notes, etc., across platforms (finally a solution for my cross platform workflow of OS X, mobile, Ubuntu)…all in a browser and mobile app! You get all of my votes!

2. Is there a way to combine the ESV Literary chapter notes (I have purchased access to the Literary online and ESV Study Bible online) — it would be great to combine these!

3. I hear that there is a chance of devotionals being added — that would be awesome, and even would be great if we could add our own RSS feeds (i.e. to link to MacArthur’s GTY daily reading plan, devos, etc.)

4. If this new platform would open up to other commentaries…paid modules I mean…that would be such a cool thing!

Thanks so much!!

Comment by Ken Z — May 20, 2010 @ 3:08 am

15. Jamila- Thanks for your inquiry. The Literary Study Bible does have its own website currently that you would be more than welcome to check out (esvliterarystudybible.org) while we work on making the notes available with the ESV Online.

Comment by bkrueger — May 20, 2010 @ 9:57 am

16. Austin– Thanks for your comment. See the ESV Study Bible note on this verse for further explanation.

Comment by bkrueger — May 20, 2010 @ 10:04 am

17. “Crossway is developing many more ESV Online modules to enhance the study of God’s Word. Stay tuned for the release of Greek tools, MacArthur study notes, commentaries, Bible Audio recordings in numerous languages, and much more!”

Is there any chance that there will be an online version of the Apocrypha?

Comment by Philip — May 20, 2010 @ 8:19 pm

18. Philip: Thanks for reading our blog and leaving a comment! We do not have any plans to add apocryphal writings to our site.

Comment by bkrueger — May 21, 2010 @ 8:15 am

19. ESV folks – please please – put in a feature to email oneself a verse note and the related verse the note is one. Folks have other bible software programs and files they like to store their data in, and emailing it from the website to one’s own account would be a very useful feature to have. I use this feature quite a bit in CadreBible (a google Android bible application). So in addition to the Save and Cancel buttons on the left side of the screen (when adding a note), please include a “Email” option.

Comment by Jon — May 21, 2010 @ 8:33 am

20. Ken: Thank you for your kind words! It is our joy to provide user-friendly God-focused resources.

Here are some quick answers:
    1. Thanks. Syncing will continue to be developed as we release additional features.
    2. Eventually, you won’t need two subscriptions to access both sets of notes. For the time being, however, you need to maintain your other two accounts. Oh and don’t forget to check out our newest study bible!! http://www.esvmacarthurstudybible.com/
    3. Outside RSS feeds are a great idea for future additions. Thanks for this thought! At this time though, a few devotionals and reading plans have been made available.
    4. Cool things come to those who wait. Paid modules for additional resources are being put together and will be added soon.

Comment by bkrueger — May 21, 2010 @ 8:53 am

21. I love it, but where is the great font that you had before?

Comment by Larry — May 21, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

22. Thanks bkrieger!

My only dilema, which many others will find themselves in as well, is the lack of cross-pollination (for lack of a better word) of electronic licenses from all of the available resources out there for bible software.

I would love to see the many companies be able to come together, and offer us licenses that can be used on any platform (whether than be operating system of bible engine software). I have bought several commentaries multiple times because of moving from one platform to another….

I am a Mac user, and I have much investment in Logos, but their Mac app is coming along very slowly (not usable unless I have time to be a beta tester), but I have to study the Word (cannot wait a year for Logos to catch up)….so I am finding myself again looking to other sources.

Maybe that is just a dream :)

Anyway….I just love the approach you are taking here!!!

Comment by Ken Z — May 22, 2010 @ 12:21 am

23. I just bought the esv bible at Barnes and noble that came with online registration. How do i register online with this code? I tried entering my email address on register box and then my password but did not receive a email. Is that the access code password or my own password. If it is the Access code password do you put the – in the middle with the code when you enter it. Thanks Adam

Comment by Adam Simpkins — July 12, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

24. I don’t understand why ESV would lock into a narrow theol. position with something like MacArthur notes.

Just like the Study Bible has hints at times of catering to particular atonement emphases.

and the print editions steps to salvation are very archaic in approach.

I hope ESV stays broad enough to represent the evangelical world.

Comment by Lyle MOok — August 16, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

25. Lyle – Thanks for your thoughts. Our intent is not to “lock into a theological position”, but rather to serve those who use the MacArthur Study Bible and have requested it in the ESV. It’s similar to how we have licensed the ESV translation to Reformation Trust for use in the Reformation Study Bible, or to Moody Publishers for the Ryrie Study Bible.

Comment by James — August 18, 2010 @ 9:08 am

26. Will you provide an option that will enable / disable RED lettering? Otherwise this an awesome application. There was a great deal of thought put in the format. Great job. I would even pay for a plugin for RED lettering and I’m sure ther are others just like me.

Comment by Timothy — September 28, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

27. I would like to catch up on some earlier editions/episodes of the ESV daily reading bible podcasts that I missed from the iTunes store source. Is that possible ? Can you send me a link to the place I could source them please?

Thank you!

Comment by David Wallace — November 24, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

28. David — we’ve included the entire Daily Reading Bible audio (and text) here:

Enjoy!

Comment by Ted Slater — November 29, 2010 @ 8:34 am

29. Any thoughts on what’s going to be released in time for Christmas? If you guessed “an ESV Android app,” you’d be correct.

How much are we charging for it? Nothing. It’s a gift.

You know what you can do to show us your appreciation? Share it with your friends — through your blog, through Twitter, through Facebook, through emails, through water cooler chat, through messages on blimps. Share the love.

Why are we giving away for free something that’s taken countless hours to bring into being? In all truth, we love God’s powerful Word. And it’s an honor to make it freely available through all the world, through all technologies.

If you have any comments or questions, leave them here or send them directly to me at tslater [at] crossway.org

Comment by Ted Slater — December 14, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

30. Is there a way I can use the online code I got when I purchased my study bible to activate the esv study bible app for my iPad? I would love to be able to use it!

Comment by Brandon — April 7, 2011 @ 12:46 am

31. Brandon, we’re looking into this as a future possibility, but the technology and restrictions Apple places on its app store make it quite complicated, and right now impossible. I’m afraid for now you’ll need to purchase the ESV Plus app separately for your iPad. We’ll make sure to let people know if/when we’re able to start making progress on this front!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 7, 2011 @ 7:34 am

32. Is there overload at the esvonline website causing it to load very slowly or am I doing something wrong? Have had difficulty logging in the last 2 times I’ve tried…

Comment by chris y — April 18, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

33. Chris, we apologize for your recent difficulty in logging onto your ESV Online account. occasionally websites’ performance are affected by server traffic, maintenance, and other issues. Our developers have been working on our ESV platform to improve its functionality, and it’s possible their servicing of the site made it temporarily difficult for you to log in. I would recommend trying different web browsers (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc…). If the problem consistently persists over a period of time, please let us know!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 19, 2011 @ 8:31 am

34. Is the “notes sync” feature available yet? I’ve got a ton of notes on my iPad, and I want to be able to sync them with the notes on my online account.

Comment by RSJ — April 25, 2011 @ 10:25 am

35. Also keenly awaiting notes sync from ipad!

Comment by Phil Campbell — June 27, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

36. Please publish a Parallel ESV/Biblia Sagrada (Portuguese) soon! There would be huge demand here in the US and in Brazil!

Comment by Tavis — July 20, 2011 @ 10:53 am

37. Thanks for the info, very useful

Comment by Rosette Kroell — December 7, 2011 @ 1:55 am

38. It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Przeprowadzka — April 5, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

39. none of the buttons are working on the new site for me??

Comment by Justin — November 2, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

40. Justin, I’d encourage you to try again. We’ve had a lot of traffic on our new site today, so it might have been a temporary hiccup. Please let me know if it continues to not work. Thanks!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 2, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

41. I bought an ESVB at LifeWay last year but have lost my paper with the link. What do I need to do to get the link which I’ve already paid for?

Comment by Cindy Walker — July 18, 2013 @ 10:20 am

42. Cindy, you can contact our customer service. They should be able to get you a new code. You can write to them at service@crossway.org. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — July 19, 2013 @ 8:25 am