Home > Crossway Blog > ESV Bible + App (with ESV Study Bible) Now Available for iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad

screen-shot-2010-07-30-at-90537-am

Crossway is pleased to announce the new ESV Bible+ App for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. We’re grateful for your feedback and hope you enjoy the suggestions that we’ve implemented. In addition to the current features of the ESV app, ESV Bible + includes:

• All of the ESV Study Bible notes and resources
  • ESV audio with text scrolling
  • An index of Study Bible Articles
  • Snap-Back feature for returning to previous screen
  • New My Notes interface, which will sync with your ESV Online account in the coming months

The ESV Bible + App is now available in the App Store! Be sure to take advantage of the $9.99 introductory price, valid for the next 48 hours. Introductory pricing will continue at $12.99 through Saturday August 7 at which point it will retail for $14.99. Thank you for your feedback, encouragement, and support as we continue to pursue innovative ways to make the Bible more accessible to everyone, everywhere.

July 30, 2010 | Posted in: Digital,ESV,General,Study Bibles,Translation | Author: James Kinnard @ 9:12 am | (141) Comments »

1. Where is the Android love?

Comment by Jerry — July 30, 2010 @ 9:20 am

2. Ditto…any news on the Android version? Possibly need some testers?!?!?!

Comment by Zach — July 30, 2010 @ 9:26 am

3. the price seems a little steep.
    current ESV Study Bible owners can’t get it for free or a discount?

Comment by Bob Turner — July 30, 2010 @ 9:30 am

4. Please develop an Android version. Many of us out here.

Comment by Tim Gibson — July 30, 2010 @ 9:32 am

5. Dear Android Users:

We want to serve you as well and we’ve been laying the groundwork for an Android app. We are redirecting our digital resources for you over the next few months.

Thank you for your patience!

Comment by bkrueger — July 30, 2010 @ 9:38 am

6. Yes I second the Andriod love comment!

Comment by Christian Arnold — July 30, 2010 @ 9:39 am

7. Thanks so much for considering Android. I’ll be first in line when it comes out.

Comment by Richard Sugg — July 30, 2010 @ 9:44 am

8. The App Store does not show the ESV Bible +. It only shows the free version, and other readers copies of the ESV. I want to put it on my iPhone, but can’t find it.

Comment by Bill Haynes — July 30, 2010 @ 9:47 am

9. Excellent… Can’t wait for the Android app! Thank you!

Comment by Jonathan — July 30, 2010 @ 10:20 am

10. This is very exciting. Awesome.

Comment by Josh Moore — July 30, 2010 @ 10:22 am

11. I would love to have this app, but $9.99 for it is a bit unreasonable if I already have the the print verison and currently use the ESV online.

Comment by Jamila Levi — July 30, 2010 @ 10:25 am

12. How long will the wait be until our online account personal notes sync up to the ipad version?

Comment by T — July 30, 2010 @ 10:45 am

13. I just downloaded the ESV Plus app for my iphone and it looks great! Thanks for your hard work. I did notice a few features missing that would be useful for future updates — I couldn’t find charts, diagrams and maps that are in the study bible notes (those that aren’t in the book introductions in the ESV study bible). Also, it would be great if in the future we could sync our highlights with the online ESV site as well.

Comment by Ben Pun — July 30, 2010 @ 11:02 am

14. With Bob – We just dropped the cash for the physical version – any shot at a discount/free download?

Comment by Steve Schlepphorst — July 30, 2010 @ 11:03 am

15. Looking forward to the Android version!

Comment by Kevin Amundson — July 30, 2010 @ 11:03 am

16. Does it include the maps and drawings from the ESVSB? If so, will it allow zooming into them? I have the ESVSB through another app, but it’s a bit clunky. However, I can’t see myself spending the money for this unless I get more functionality.

Comment by Jason Chamberlain — July 30, 2010 @ 11:06 am

17. Thank you so much for this release! This study bible is fantastic and beautiful on the iPad, a truly wonderful piece of work. The best bible application I’ve ever used!

Comment by Zhi Wei — July 30, 2010 @ 11:12 am

18. Hi. I am a VoiceOver user. I recently tried the old ESV Bible app with little success as the screen appeared completely blank. Is this behaviour true of this new app for now? I’d love to try it but I’d rather not pay for something I can’t use. If you would appreciate any help testing the App with VoiceOver, please get in touch.

Many thanks.

Darren

Comment by Darren Paskell — July 30, 2010 @ 11:40 am

19. Thank you! Didn’t have to think twice–I’m downloading it now. I love my Study Bible and I love my iPad app. Now I can have both of them at the same time? Talk about having my cake and eating it too…

Can’t wait for that Android app.

Comment by Josh — July 30, 2010 @ 11:43 am

20. Thank you for your feedback. Keep it coming! Several of you have asked about the ESV Bible + pricing if you’ve already bought an ESV Study Bible or the Study Bible module within the ESV Online.

In order to serve a larger audience with the ESV Study Bible content, we had to create an entirely new and customized application, which we are able to offer for a very nominal price.

Please note however, that if you choose not to purchase the application with its customized features, you can still access the ESV Online content and streaming audio from the internet browser on your mobile device.

Hope this is helpful,

James
    Crossway

Comment by James — July 30, 2010 @ 11:47 am

21. Agreed with the others. There should have been at least one ESV bible app out by now for Android.

Comment by Jeff — July 30, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

22. I have enjoyed my recent download, and want to suggest a feature (or be informed how to)…I would love to be able to see the Scripture and the study notes split onto one screen.

Comment by John Dingman — July 30, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

23. Love it! Really appreciate your work. This will allow me to keep studying the Bible while on the move.

Second the “sync notes with ESV Online” if ever possible.

Comment by Alastair Graham — July 30, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

24. How do you find the maps, charts and images?

Comment by Wes — July 30, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

25. Great app, I own the printed copy and kindle version of the ESV Study Bible. $9.99 is very good price for what you get with this app, I’ve used the free version for a few months now. A lot easier to use than other apps.

Comment by Joe Coker — July 30, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

26. Can’t wait for the Android app!!

Comment by Ryan — July 31, 2010 @ 12:51 am

27. I’m with Bob and Steve. I paid about $100 for my physical copy of the ESV Study Bible. That’s a lot for me. At least drop the price or make it a free app.

Comment by Mark Maguire — July 31, 2010 @ 9:05 am

28. Great application! Hands down the best I’ve seen in Bible software for the iPod/iPad

Some feature requests for future releases:

* Make the study notes and articles searchable
    * Make the tables, charts and maps indexed
    * Make the study notes and articles linkable to the personal notes
    * Sync notes to web app and desktop
    * Tilt scrolling (see instapaper for an excellent example)
    * PDF export of notes

Comment by Jeremy Mayhew — August 1, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

29. +1 for Android (whatz an iphone?)

Comment by Seth — August 1, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

30. I’m loving this app! A suggestion I have for a future update would be to have all the maps and charts in one location like they are on the online version. Thanks so much!

Comment by Tommy — August 1, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

31. It would be nice if I could get “today’s” devotions in the app — that is, just like the ESV Online “Devotions” tab, it would be really helpful to have access to my Bible Reading plan from the app; reading all of today’s passages just be flicking thru. Audio playback for that would be great too!

Comment by Alex S. Leung — August 1, 2010 @ 11:29 pm

32. Wes: All of the maps are embedded in the ESV Study section of the app. Please check out the notes for Acts 2 to see a great example. For your reference, indexed maps will be added to future updates. Thanks!

Comment by bkrueger — August 2, 2010 @ 8:54 am

33. Yeah, it’s totally unfair that I bought a print bible based on the value that resource would bring, and now when I could have the opportunity and convenience to carry around much of that five pounds inside my phone, you’re asking that I pay the equivalent of two cups of coffee at Starbucks to cover the digital application, development, and programmers that created it. The nerve!

Going to download it now. Awesome!

Comment by Michael — August 2, 2010 @ 9:37 am

34. I love the app, but is there any chance we could get backgrounding audio for devices on iOS? Would love to be able to respond to a quick message without killing the audio. Other than that, color me thoroughly impressed with this app!

Comment by Rob — August 2, 2010 @ 11:40 am

35. Any chance we can get backgrounding audio?

Comment by Rob A. — August 2, 2010 @ 11:41 am

36. i’ll wait for it to go on discount or free.
    i’m sure it will be one of those somewhat soon.

Comment by Bob Turner — August 2, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

37. Any chance of including the one-year reading plan with the ESV Bible + iPad app?

Comment by Bobby Havicon — August 2, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

38. Didn’t know where else to submit a bug. When I’m full screen on a verse and highlight -> details and view commentary. It goes to commentary in full screen but I can’t get out of commentary without exiting the app. Other than that, it’s a great app

Comment by Josh — August 2, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

39. With respect to accessing the online ESV Study Bible via a mobile device, at least with the iPad you can do this, but it won’t let you highlight or add comments.

Comment by Bobby Havicon — August 3, 2010 @ 8:56 am

40. Android +1

Comment by tkirsteatter — August 3, 2010 @ 9:59 am

41. I just posted this on the App Store…

This is certainly aeons ahead of other Bible apps, but it still seems a bit cumbersome to use. Takes too many steps to get from Scripture to the Articles and Maps. [Maybe inserting a map icon in appropriate places would be a good idea?] Wish it just flowed a little better and actually felt like I was using the Hardcover ESV Study Bible.

This will never be my sole Bible app as long as it doesn’t have reading plans [What happened to the ESV Reading plan from the Hardcover?!], and neither can I export My Notes, besides copy and paste. Also, what’s the difference between highlighted verses and favorite verses? Looks like redundancy to me. Not sure when I should use one over the other.

Requests:
    1. Even having a two-column mode while in landscape would be nice. Currently, landscape view is incredibly crammed with bars (on the iPhone), unless you’re in ESV reading mode and not ESV Study or My Notes.

2. Transitions between ESV Study, ESV, and My Notes is jarring. How about a simple push transition?

3. Ability to bookmark my place in the Articles. These are such rich documents, but I’d probably never finish them because I’ll never be able to find my place. What if the articles looked like books on a shelf, like the iBooks app? –but were yet still reachable from reading the text?

4. Would love it if it synced my place from iPhone to iPad to Online versions.

Praises:
    1. I do love the fact that it flows into Full Screen mode when scrolling. That and the Browse button are absolutely brilliant and fun to use. This is what it makes it better than the other Bible apps.

I think the bottom line is that this app feels like it was built by a committee who wanted content instead of one or two people who really love writing iPhone apps. Maybe that’s what you get when you’re a publishing house who commissions someone else to build an app of their flagship product. I would encourage the developers to look to Reeder, Instapaper, and Twitter for creative uses of iPhone UI for mostly text-based apps. Cliche, I know, but these are great examples of actual reading apps. Don’t be satisfied with just functional and strive for something truly innovative and great. Try to make this feel like an easy, fun to use Study Bible and not a discombobulated tech manual.

Comment by Rick — August 3, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

42. Just downloaded the app and it looks great. I’ve been waiting for this. The price is more than reasonable. The only thing I’m not seeing that I would love is audio of the daily reading plan. That would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comment by Chris — August 4, 2010 @ 11:18 pm

43. Love the app, but as an ipod touch user, I am bummed that offline audio playback is not available.

Please please please add the ability to download the audio so I can listen on the go!

Appreciate all the hard work on the app!

Comment by Tim — August 5, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

44. Just downloaded this on my iPhone and iPad. Looks and feels great. I too would like to see some reading plans built into the app. Thanks for your hard work.

Comment by Eric — August 6, 2010 @ 9:15 am

45. Would be great if you had 2 panes – one with study notes and the Scripture, when it’s in landscape.

Comment by Shawn — August 7, 2010 @ 5:06 am

46. Loving this app, as I have also enjoyed my ESV Study Bible (and two other Crossway ESV print bibles). I also enjoy having access to the study bible online.

To echo some feature requests above:

1. I miss (or haven’t found) the maps.

2. I am very concerned about having my notes in my ESV+ app “stuck” in my iPad. What if it breaks or I lose it or it crashes? I feel that’s something that would prevent me from relying on this as my primary study and reading tool. To this point: what I want more than anything by way of new features would be to have my notes, highlights and bookmarks sync to the ESV online tool and to my Mac. A second-place alternative would be the ability to save my notes to a text file and/or email them, so that at least I could have a copy somewhere besides in my wonderful, portable, breakable, lose-able iPad.

Otherwise this app is fantastic. I’d purchased the ESV Study Bible ebook for use on my nook and also on iBooks within the iPad. The nook version of the ebook was painfully slow and cumbersome. The speed of the iPad in iBooks helped considerably, but this app is an order of magnitude faster and easier to use.

Now – if I could just back-up and sync my notes…. =)

Comment by David — August 15, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

47. I’d like to see the audio downloadable as well. I do have Max Mclean but much prefer this reader’s inflection.

Also, I’d really like some markup symbols/highlight options that could be applied to individual words in a text rather than just calling out a note on the whole text.

But a great app. Worth every penny and I too have the dead-tree version and the free app version.

Comment by Another David — August 16, 2010 @ 9:58 am

48. Another Android user waiting eagerly here for the Android version of the Study Bible app.

I’m writing on behalf of all Android users in countries where the Market does not offer paid apps. Please make it possible for us to buy it directly from your site, through Paypal and credit cards.

Comment by asqwerth — August 22, 2010 @ 3:11 am

49. Thanks Crossway for the great app!
    I’d love to be able to:
    Categorize highlights/favorites into folders (ie. Mission etc. )
    Download the audio for offline use (possibly an in app purchase?)
    Easier navigation to relevant maps

That’s all for now :). Thanks again!

Comment by Jason — August 22, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

50. I’m really contemplating getting this, as I like to listen as I read along.

I have one big question that I haven’t found an answer to anywhere, though. How fast does the reader read, and is the speed adjustable in the app? My current audiobook (ESV Hear the Word) is way too slow, so I set it for double speed. This sounds a little weird, but moves at a pace much more comparable to my reading speed.

Has anybody experienced any issues with the speed of the audio?

Comment by fitzage — August 23, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

51. I am longing to have the ESV Bible App, especially the ESV Bible + (study bible) for Blackberry Storm 2 9520.
    Please have an option to download ESV Bible App and make payment for ESV Bible + using Crossway site. That means, download apps to Blackberry Desktop Manager and via our USB cable make app transfer and install on to Blackberry device. This is for those who do not have the Blackberry BIS plan for accessing App World for any download and payment.
    Thank you.

Comment by Dino — August 26, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

52. Love the app. Overall i am very pleased and think the pricing is quite good considering what you are getting. There are a few changes that I would like to see.

-Easier transitions between the Study Bible notes, the Bible, and the verse details. The buttons to switch are a little small and I frequently hit the Browse button. I think using some finger “swipes” would be nice to switch the views.

-Better implementation of the maps and diagrams from the text.

-When in the “ESV” view, I would love to see a little mark showing which verses I have a note on.

-Multicolored highlighting

-Reading Plans

-Split-Screen Study notes and Bible Text

-Better landscape screen layout. The “My Notes” and “ESV Study sections are pretty much useless in landscape mode

-Small bug fix. Reading the middle of a chapter….View ESV Study Notes…. From ESV Study notes link to a verse elsewhere in the Bible…..When I return to my initial chapter, the app will move me back to the beginning of the chapter rather than where i left off.

-Would like to go to the section of the ESV study notes for the exact verse I am reading. Currently it will just go to the ESV notes for the 1st verse of the chapter I am reading.

Overall, I love the app and use it as my primary Bible application. I can’t wait until the next update.

Comment by Philip — September 1, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

53. Have any iPad users had trouble with My Notes scrolling? Now that I have been using this great app for a while I have more than a single page of My Notes but can not scroll down to select lower listed notes. Is this a fix that may already be in the works???

Comment by Clark — September 3, 2010 @ 8:04 am

54. Bible reading plans?

Comment by chris ashton — September 3, 2010 @ 11:19 am

55. Guys, is there a plan to release an updated ESV+ app with updated twitter support that supports OAUTH instead of basic auth? Twitter doesn’t seem to work anymore since August 31… just wondering. Great app otherwise.

Comment by David R. — September 7, 2010 @ 8:20 am

56. Love the ESV+ app…I loved the free ESV app and with the study Bible notes in there it works great. Thanks for a great product and thanks for directing your resources toward an Android app. I have an android phone and am eagerly awaiting release of the android app.
    (as a side note, is there any way at all for me as an ESV+ iPad purchaser to get a discount when ESV+ for android comes out?)

Comment by Josh N — September 10, 2010 @ 12:50 am

57. David R: Yes there is an updated ESV+ app in the works with Apple currently. Thanks for your patience!

Comment by bkrueger — September 20, 2010 @ 10:44 am

58. I just downloaded the update (Ver. 1.1). However, there appears to be a bug with the “ESV Study” view. The text in this view is VERY large and only 3-4 words fit on my screen at a time. This worked fine before the update. I am using an iPod Touch 3rd Gen. The text size setting is only for the Bible view. Please let me know if there is any fix to this.

Thanks.

Comment by Philip — September 27, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

59. Amazing app!

Would love to have the esv bible in a year document in there.

Comment by Dave — September 30, 2010 @ 10:28 am

60. I want to echo Philip’s comment of Sept. 27, 4:20 pm. I too am running the current version of ESV+ on an iPod Touch 3rd Generation. I also have the same problem of text in the “ESV Study” view being super-large, it’s practically unusable. I have even deleted it from my handheld and re-installed, but the problem is still there. Other than this, you have an excellent app and I’m thrilled to have it on my iPod. If you can tell me fix this little problem it will be even better! Thank you, and God bless you for your wonderful work.

Comment by John Boquist — October 10, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

61. Used it on my friend’s iPhone, amazing app. I hope you guys come out with an Android one so me and my wife can share in the enjoyment.

Peace.

Comment by Scott V — October 19, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

62. I have the same problem as Philip. There is a bug in the study view. I also only see a very narrow column of huge type with only about 2-4 words per line. Strange. I deleted and reinstalled and got the same problem.

Comment by Frankie G. — October 20, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

63. Two questions:

1. Does the app possess all the functions of ESV online? I’m looking particularly at reading plans, notes, and highlight.

2. Is this a universal app for both the iphone and ipad? Or are separate apps in the works?

Comment by Matthew — October 21, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

64. Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I found out what was causing my problem with the study notes font size being screwed up. It has to do with a setting on my ipod.

If you go to SETTINGS –> GENERAL –> ACCESSIBILITY –> ZOOM, you need to turn the zoom feature OFF.

I finally discovered this after restoring all of the settings on my iPod. Hopefully this fixes it for all of you that are having the same problem. I hope that the next update of the program can fix this as well because I do enjoy using the zoom feature from time to time with other applications.

Comment by Philip — October 27, 2010 @ 11:00 am

65. Android, please. :-)

Comment by Nancy M. — October 27, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

66. Hi Matthew– Thanks for your note! Hope this helps:

1- Both the ESV® (Free) and The ESV® Study Bible+ apps ($14.99) possesses the notes, highlight and share features. The apps both have history & favorite verse save functions that help you track a reading plan that you may be doing.
    2- Both apps are universal.

Comment by bkrueger — October 28, 2010 @ 9:47 am

67. I just upgraded to ESV study bible v1.2 and the audio does not work anymore. Tap on audio function causes the app to exit back to home screen.

Comment by Wilson Teng — October 31, 2010 @ 10:48 am

68. Hey guys, ever since updating to version 1.2 of The Esv bible + on the app store I haven’t been able to create notes which is a big problem!!!..

Can’t just re-install the app either cuz I would lose hundreds of notes!!..

Please help Crossway!!!…

Comment by Mark — November 2, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

69. Thanks so much Philip for posting that fix to the study notes font size bug! That worked. Can’t believe it was that all along. They really should address that bug in the next release. I’m sure glad to have the study notes back in normal size and not in one huge word per line, which made it an unbearable experience. Blessings!

Comment by Frankie G. — November 4, 2010 @ 4:01 am

70. I have been using the iPhone ESV Bible for about a month and it has been a wonderful blessing. Now, I just purchased and downloaded the iPhone ESV Study Bible – I use my hard copy study Bible so much at home, it just made sense to have it on the iPhone too.

First impressions – a wonderful application! Area for improvement – Favorites. I found it to be the case in the prior version too. There needs to be some way to organize favorites. They easily build into quite a lengthy list and become hard to manage.

Suggestions:
    Provide a bar atop the favorites window for two ways of viewing favorites.
    (a)By [Index], which would automatically organize all favorites in the same scripture index you see in Browse (Book names, chapter numbers), and would include a count of favorite verses for each level (book, chapter);
    (b)By [Tags], this would be user-created tags, such as “Fighter Verse,” or “Precious Promise,” etc. Once tags are created it should be easy to assign favorite verses to one or more tags (a particular verse or passage could certainly apply to more than one tag). Tags/categories should be automatically sorted alphabetically. (see the Simplenote app for a good use of tags)
    (c)By [Rating], This would order favorites by the ratings given by the user. A five star system would be great.

Additionally, currently you can only define individual verses as a favorite. It would be very helpful if you could also define passages as favorites (let the user specify the verse range for the passage, which could also cross chapters as needed).

These suggestions are meant to provide users with a ready resource for getting back to those verses and/or passages of God’s word that have blessed them. How many of us would like to quickly fly to the precious promises God has revealed to us. Tags would be a great way of letting users accumulate those promises. They would also be a wonderful way of organizing verses for evangelism, perhaps you would group particular scriptures for atheists, Muslims, etc. The main point here is that we want God’s word in this portable form to be ready tool for encouragement and ministry.

Thanks, and Blessings!

Comment by Dave Englund — December 12, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

71. Any thoughts on what’s going to be released in time for Christmas? If you guessed “an ESV Android app,” you’d be correct.

How much are we charging for it? Nothing. It’s a gift.

You know what you can do to show us your appreciation? Share it with your friends — through your blog, through Twitter, through Facebook, through emails, through water cooler chat, through messages on blimps. Share the love.

Why are we giving away for free something that’s taken countless hours to bring into being? In all truth, we love God’s powerful Word. And it’s an honor to make it freely available through all the world, through all technologies.

If you have any comments or questions, leave them here or send them directly to me at tslater [at] crossway.org

Comment by Ted Slater — December 14, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

72. Yay Android app!!! Thank You so much for producing these applications!

Comment by Geoff — December 14, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

73. Does anyone know if this app works offline? Thanks :)

Comment by Kathryn — December 20, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

74. Yep, the app does function offline as well.

Comment by Angie Cheatham — December 21, 2010 @ 8:33 am

75. I would like to bookmark my place in the study bible for the iPod. Is there a way to do this?
    Also, do you have plans to integrate the bible reading guide into the study bible?

Comment by Tom — January 11, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

76. I love your app and use it often. An additional feature that I’d love to have is the ability to listen to the audio at double speed, as I tend to do with other audiobooks and podcasts on my iPhone. I realize that this feature would be dependent on my network that I’m connected to.

Thank you.
    Michael

Comment by Michael — March 29, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

77. I’m not so interested in the electronic version of ESV as the printed version. I printed out some pages of different versions; MacArthur, Ryrie, Reformed, and the ESV Study Bible. Commentary Helps are a nice addition but all the bibles seemed to have VERY SMALL PRINT esp. in the notes. The Reformed notes seemed interesting but MacArthur and Ryrie seemed in clearer type. Ryrie’s comments seems to be less commital to issues like age of the earth, evolution, etc. and I believe he is strongly dispensational. MacArthur’s theology used to be very “Holiness” centered and he stressed Lordship salvation which did not bode well with Reformed scholars. He may have adjusted some in recent years. One needs to be careful if he is signing on to a built-in Bible interpreter. I’m thinking that maybe condensing the notes and increasing the size of the fonts would be a welcomed move for a future edition. Is there any chance that this is in the works for any of the help versions? Paf

Comment by Paul Francis — March 31, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

78. Paul, this coming July Crossway will be releasing the ESV Student Study Bible. It’s adapted from the original ESV Study Bible, containing some of the maps, illustrations, and charts, as well as a condensed version of the study notes. It also contains a few other features geared specifically toward high school and college students. Still, none of the content is juvenile in tone and we think adults could benefit just as much. We think this will be a nice, more compact option for those wanting something more streamlined than the original ESV Study Bible. I do not believe the type size for the notes will be any bigger however.

We also offer a Larger Print edition of the original ESV Study Bible. It’s pretty hefty, but if you’re reading primarily at home and not carrying it around, I think this could be a good option for you.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 1, 2011 @ 7:24 am

79. Any word as to when we will be able to sync our highlights and notes from our device to our online application? It says “in the coming months.” Do you know specifically. I purchased this app a few months back and have been patiently waiting for this feature.

Other than that, I am extremely satisfied with this app!

Comment by jeff — April 14, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

80. Jeff – Unfortunately, this “cloud syncing” ability is going to take longer than anticipated. It’s very important to Crossway to be able to offer this as soon as we can, but at the same time we’re aiming to build a platform that is adequately scalable and ensures excellent user experience. Thanks for your patience!

Comment by James Kinnard — April 15, 2011 @ 8:50 am

81. James – Thanks for the response. I would rather have syncing ability that works well a little while from now, than syncing ability that doesn’t work well right now. Keep up the good work!

Comment by jeff — April 15, 2011 @ 10:38 am

82. I’m taking your word that this feature will one day be available, so I am going to jump in and buy the product. It is vital that I can eventually be able to have my notes online.

Comment by Kevin — April 21, 2011 @ 6:32 am

83. ignore every complaint. this app is amazing. only competitor is app store has a more difficult user interface. can’t wait for the online sync of notes, thanks guys! perhaps one day, hebrew/greek additions?

Comment by daniel — April 26, 2011 @ 11:18 am

84. Agree with others, love the app but could really do with a way of syncing notes to online version. This would make the app complete!

Comment by Joseph — May 4, 2011 @ 5:23 am

85. this app is ALMOST perfect BUT there is no way I can sync my notes to anything and I have over a year of study notes. I will quote that this is a feature you said: “New My Notes interface, which will sync with your ESV Online account in the coming months”.

Please make this happen! It is a much needed feature for this APP. Please!!

Comment by Stevetombrown — May 30, 2011 @ 7:22 am

86. Purchased the study bible for my iphone about a year back. Now have an android phone and hoping to see the study bible make it to android. Any idea on if/when we’ll see this?

Comment by KevinH — June 2, 2011 @ 2:06 am

87. How about this app for the Mac itself? Is this coming anytime in the future?

Comment by danc — August 8, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

88. Danc, our ESV Study Bible module on ESVBible.org functions as a web app for the Study Bible resources. We haven’t made any plans to turn the ESV Bible + app into a desktop app. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — August 9, 2011 @ 8:54 am

89. Looking forward to the Android version. Please keep us updated on when that might be coming around!

Comment by serge — August 10, 2011 @ 9:32 am

90. Thanks for the standard ESV Android app. Can’t wait for the Android ESV Study Bible app!

Comment by Timothy — September 20, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

91. Android version coming soon?

Comment by ben — October 19, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

92. Does the study bible app on iOS use iOS 5′s twitter integration? I tried posting to twitter from the app, but I had to enter in my twitter username and password in the app.

Comment by Ryan Trask — October 27, 2011 @ 11:50 am

93. Hi Ryan,

No, unfortunately it does not. You’ll have to login with your credentials.

Comment by Angie Cheatham — October 27, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

94. love the app! But… Would like to see Bible reading plans, and the option to but the Bible audio for offline listening. Cloud synced notes will be a bonus.

Thanks for a brilliant app.

Johnny

Comment by Johnny McClean — November 6, 2011 @ 8:17 am

95. Question: What happens to the existing ESV Bible app (the free version) and all the notes I have put in there when I install ESV Bible Plus? I am holding my purchase of ESV Bible Plus until I know that my old notes on the free version will be safely preserved during the installation of the new version.

Comment by David — November 10, 2011 @ 9:12 am

96. Until we have notes-syncing which we are aiming to provide very soon, the notes will not be transferred over to the ESV Study + app. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment by Angie Cheatham — November 14, 2011 @ 8:41 am

97. Hi David, The ESV Study Bible app is a separate app from the free ESV Bible. When you install the Study Bible app the old app is still left on your device untouched.

Comment by Brian Block — November 24, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

98. I’d love to see a native Mac app with study notes. I’d be willing to pay for it! Olive Tree just released theirs and it’s excellent. But their iPhone app isn’t as fast and easy to use as your apps. Any plans?

Comment by JB Bryant — November 25, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

99. [...] etc. You get more features with the ESV+ app, but the free one is quite well-implemented as well.http://www.crossway.org/blog/201…This answer .Please specify the necessary improvements. Edit Link Text Show answer summary [...]

Pingback by The Bible: What are the best Bible apps for Android and iOS? - Quora — November 30, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

100. Is there any way we can back them up via ITunes? Or save them to our computers Hdd? That way they are safe until syncing becomes available.

Comment by Andrew Nelmes — December 15, 2011 @ 12:22 am

101. Andrew, if you back up your iOS device on iTunes it should include your notes, highlighting, etc. For more specific information you can interact directly with our developers on our online forum: http://community.crossway.org/crossway/products/crossway_esvbibleorg

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 23, 2011 @ 2:49 am

102. I recently noticed that the quality of the illustrations varies greatly. For example, I can’t read any of the text on the Herod’s temple illustration near Like 2:27.

Comment by Ralph — January 23, 2012 @ 9:44 am

103. Ralph, I’m guessing it’s because that particular illustration is a two-page spread. The current app format has limitations on the size of images we can display. I’ll talk with our digital media director and see if he has any ideas for a solution.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 23, 2012 @ 10:10 am

104. I’ve had massive issues with the free ESV app. It hasn’t been updated in quite some time now. It crashes every time I search and try going to verses. Does the ESV+ app have this issue too? I’d love buy the app but not if it’s as buggy as the free one.

Comment by JB Bryant — January 23, 2012 @ 10:16 am

105. JB, the app performs fine on my phone – I wonder if it’s an issue unique to your device? I would suggest deleting it and reloading it. If that fails, you can always contact our developers directly through our online forum: http://community.crossway.org/crossway/products. To my knowledge, the ESV + app has not had major performance issues.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 23, 2012 @ 10:31 am

106. Ya, I tried that and it still happens. For example, if I search for “Jesus” and scroll down a few verses, select to expand to more verses within one of the books, the app crashes. I’m on iOS 5.1 beta right now but this was happening on 5.0.1 for me too… I’ll try the link you gave me and report it.

Comment by JB Bryant — January 23, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

107. Is there an Android app for the ESV Study Bible Plus?

Comment by Margaret Yost — February 21, 2012 @ 9:56 am

108. Back in November 2011, it was mentioned syncing would be forthcoming “very soon,” which seems to be the most recent mention in the thread. Any specific updates on syncing since November 2011?

Comment by Doug — September 19, 2012 @ 1:26 am

109. Will the ESV+ work on the iPad Mini?

Comment by Michael — October 26, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

110. This excellent website really has all of the info I wanted about
    this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

Comment by Anonymous — December 14, 2012 @ 6:12 am

111. This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep
    a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
    own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

my website … how to Read books Faster

Comment by how to Read books Faster — December 27, 2012 @ 7:49 am

112. Hello to еvery boԁу, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this website; this weblog includes remarkable and in fact fine data in support of readers.

my blog post: study abroad trip to london

Comment by study abroad trip to london — December 27, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

113. Is the ESV audio for off line use?

Comment by James — January 4, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

114. I have been using the Crossway ESV Bible app for iPad for over a year.

I have taken many notes on the Bible using the notes feature of the app. But after upgrading to iOS 6.0, the ESV app doesn’t work correctly. Is there any way to preserve study notes, or to transfer them to a new version of the app?

Comment by David Roper — February 6, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

115. Do existing study bible subscribers get this for free?

Comment by Ezekiel — March 25, 2013 @ 11:19 am

116. Nice post. I locate out some thing tougher on various blogs everyday. Most commonly it is stimulating to learn to read content from other writers and exercise a specific thing at their store. I’d would prefer to apply certain while making use of the content material on my own weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll supply you with a link on your personal internet weblog. Thank you for sharing.

Comment by moroccos rebel rapper released from prison youtube — April 3, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

117. Please provide a BB version of your Bible study. I use on my Iphone but carry a BB for work and would like to be able to use it without switching phones. Z10 Please and Thank you!

Comment by Cal Schroeder — April 19, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

118. i have your app on my iphone and the physical esv study bible, the book and app are great only negative point i have is that you dont have an app yet for iMac/mac desktops … are you considering or in the process of creating one? it would be great to have it on my computer.

Comment by jane — May 2, 2013 @ 2:10 am

119. Hi. I remember seeing the app on window RT store however the app seems to gone missing suddenly! I really love the app and want it on my tablet as well! Thank you!

Comment by Kaixiang — May 2, 2013 @ 9:57 am

120. When you come to buy a car insurance policy
    these days you are often faced with a wide array of possible add-ons, clauses
    and quotes. Major moving violations such as DUI, reckless operation of a vehicle,
    speeding in a school zone and hit and run, will likely cause a substantial
    increase in the rate. It’s as simple as that.

Comment by auto insurance Wheeling — May 2, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

121. I absolutely agree along with your publish. I’ve lived here for practically 3 years now and also you are so proper about the deceptive numbers. Exciting location to accomplish things and celebration, but boyfriend and husband are few and much among. My one friends have advised me tales which have produced me feel two times about keeping here. After my contract is up in 17 months, I’m outta here.

Visit my page … give in to a woman’S whims

Comment by give in to a woman'S whims — May 3, 2013 @ 6:21 am

122. Thank you a lot! Glad you happen to be here!

Here is my web-site … Order Arrow Sheds

Comment by Order Arrow Sheds — May 11, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

123. This is a great tip especially to those new
    to the blogosphere. Simple but very precise info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

Comment by Boyce — May 20, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

124. Hello, I have purchased the esv bible study for almost £60 and have a free online pass to use the bible online too but shouldn’t this include the actual bible study app within the App Store as well rather than paying an additional £13.99 which is stupid?

Any comments about how to get this app for free will be greatly appreciated.

God bless

Comment by BRiccio — October 3, 2013 @ 11:06 am

125. When I purchased this app, I read “New My Notes interface, which will sync with your ESV Online account in the coming months” and that was a big selling point for me. Well, the “months” has turned into over a year. Can you please provide a realistic time-table as to when we can expect this.

Comment by Jeff — October 9, 2013 @ 7:24 am

126. I can’t seem to post to Twitter through the app. I get an error message that says “Tweet Failed” “Your tweet could not be posted at this time”

Comment by Ric Moseley — October 10, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

127. Ric, you’re right, the tweet feature doesn’t seem to be working… We have an update coming within the next couple weeks that should address this very issue.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — October 17, 2013 @ 10:27 am

128. Jeff, yes, this has been a difficult problem for us. The delays have chiefly come from us having to recently change developers. I’m happy to say that we’re putting the finishing polish on significant app updates for both our free app and the Study + app, which should be ready in the next few weeks. Thanks so much for your patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — October 17, 2013 @ 10:30 am

129. Andrew Tebbe, Thanks for the update! I am very happy with the app, but also look forward to the promised changes! Keep up the good work!

Comment by Jeff — October 17, 2013 @ 11:28 am

130. I have both the free ‘ESV Bible’ app and the ‘ESV Study+’ app. Today I upgraded the ‘ESV Bible app’ to version 1.8 (on my iPod Touch 4th-Gen) and it crashes in 2 seconds after launch. I hope all my notes are preserved. Is there a way for me to revert back to the previous version, which was working perfectly well, or should I wait for the fix? I have stored many important notes that I can’t afford to lose.

Comment by David Chang — December 14, 2013 @ 5:19 am

131. Hi David – Your notes should have transferred, and this is something we’ve confirmed on our own devices here in the office. If you previously backed up with iTunes it’s possible that you still have an older version of the app that you could revert to. But, as you may already know, we’re expecting an update to the free ESV Bible app soon that should fix the crashing problem.
    We apologize for the trouble you’re experiencing!

Comment by Lizzy Jeffers — December 16, 2013 @ 10:43 am

132. Thanks a lot for your response. I had not backed with iTunes, so I will wait for the fix. Thanks also for all the effort being put into the improvement of the app.

Comment by David Chang — December 16, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

133. Hi! I am suffering from the crashing problem mentioned by a few of your contributors before Christmas. Is a fix coming soon?

Comment by John Reilly — January 16, 2014 @ 5:57 am

134. John – I apologize for the problems you’re experiencing! I’ve just emailed you a response.

Comment by Lizzy Jeffers — January 17, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

135. No longer crashes (since a few updates ago) but ‘freezes’ (does not go beyond the How It Works / Get Started page) on iPod Touch 4. I cannot afford lo lose the notes, so I need to be careful about deleting/reinstalling and am waiting for further fixes, but maybe I should botrow someone’s iPhone 5 and try moving it there through the Cloud. In the meantime I using the old ESV Study +.

Comment by David Chang — January 17, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

136. Just in the way of feedback (as I see others have left), I’d love to see the ability (or just the default be this way) to automatically sort favourites by the order they appear in the Bible, rather than in the order they were added.

Comment by Derek — March 2, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

137. Hi,

I have been using the plus app for sometime now, including highlights, notes etc and I love it. However I have been really wanting sync between my iPad and iPhone. I notice the free app now has that. So:

1. Will the plus app be upgraded to include sync etc and the new interface as well? If so, when?

2. If not, can I migrate my notes and highlights back to the free app?

Thanks heaps,
    Justin

Comment by Justin Stafford — March 13, 2014 @ 4:23 am

138. Hi Justin,

Yes, we’re working on an update to the plus app that will bring syncing of notes and highlights. We’re hard at work, and hope to have something soon. We’ll post an update on our blog as soon as we know more. Hope that helps some!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 13, 2014 @ 8:57 am

139. Andrew,

Great thanks so much, I look forward to it.

Thanks again for a great app by the way – I use it every day and have done for years. In fact, I started doing my morning devotions with it on my iPhone and that was proving too small so I purchased an iPad specifically to use this app!

Cheers
    Justin

Comment by Justin Stafford — March 13, 2014 @ 9:52 am

140. are there plans to have the free app & plus app sync between each other to show the same notes & highlights?

Comment by Doug — March 13, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

141. I am enjoying the plus app as well and very much looking forward to sync-ed notes with my online account. I’m also hoping to see the “Gospel Transformation Bible” notes available on the app as well.

I can just see it up on on the menu bar next to “ESV Study” “ESV” and “My Notes” :)

Comment by Tim Ragsdale — March 14, 2014 @ 5:02 pm