Home > Crossway Blog > Drawn to Jesus in “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”

Drawn to Jesus in “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”

Are you and your family planning to see The Voyage of the Dawn Treader this month?

If you’re familiar with The Chronicles of Narnia, you know there’s more to the story than meets the eye. While C.S. Lewis didn’t write The Chronicles as a pure allegory, many characters and events often correspond to the biblical narrative.

In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Aslan tells the two Pevensie children that their adventures in Narnia have come to an end. Edmund and Lucy are upset at the thought of never returning to this country.

“It isn’t Narnia, you know,” sobbed Lucy. “It’s you. We shan’t meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?”
“But you shall meet me, dear one,” said Aslan.
“Are—are you there too, Sir?” said Edmund.
“I am,” said Aslan. “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

Edmund and Lucy’s adventures in Narnia helped them come to know Aslan (Jesus) better, and our adventures in Narnia can do the same for us. But sometimes, we may miss the deeper truths behind the stories.

Christin Ditchfield has a great book to help families enjoy the biblical parallels, principles, and related scripture readings from The Chronicles of Narnia (of course including an entire section on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader). A Family Guide to Narnia can both start intentional conversations about the movie (or the book) or lead into scripture readings and family devotions.

To mark the opening of Dawn Treader (Dec 10), we’re giving away a copy of A Family Guide to Narnia. Just tell us a little about who you’re planning to take to the film, and why, and we’ll announce the winners on Dec 3rd!

November 30, 2010 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Angie Cheatham @ 9:02 am | (18) Comments »

1. I used to read these books as a kid. I didn’t know Christ until i was an adult, so it’s great to revisit the stories and see Christ in them.

I will be taking my wife and our 2 daughters (5 & 3) to see it. They love Aslan! Looking forward to teaching them more about our Lord Jesus through this movie.

I will probably post on my blog as well.

Thanks for the opportunity to win the book.

Comment by Bob Turner — November 30, 2010 @ 9:25 am

2. I plan to take my three grandsons, two of them (twins) are 10 and their younger brother is 8.

Comment by Jerry — November 30, 2010 @ 9:27 am

3. I’m taking my wife. We’re trying to save money, but we decided to do something special for each other and our church has gotten reduced ticket prices. We’re going to watch it in 3D (a first for us). I’m excited about getting to experience this movie together with my wife and my faith family.

Comment by Andrew Wencl — November 30, 2010 @ 10:20 am

4. I have four kids under ten who I plan to take to the movie and I need all the help I can get in trying to shepherd them toward Christ!

Comment by Greg — November 30, 2010 @ 10:38 am

5. I plan to take my friend and her younger sisters, none of whom are believers. My friend is 26, and her sisters are 12, 14, and 16. They have not grown up in a traditional American environment and as such are not familiar with the Chronicles of Narnia or many biblical ideas for that matter.

Comment by Joe — November 30, 2010 @ 10:44 am

6. My 6-yr old twins cannot wait to see the movie. We’re finishing Prince Caspian this week, and then on to read The Voyage!

Comment by Scott — November 30, 2010 @ 10:53 am

7. I plan to take my entire family because we loved the first two Narnia films and it is great to talk about the elements of the film later on. I also have a plan to take a few teenagers from our church as a way to discuss Christ in the film and also open the door to answer questions they have about God.

Comment by Chris Land — November 30, 2010 @ 11:14 am

8. Oh, and let us know if you’d prefer a print book or an ebook (for your iPhone, Kindle, Nook, iPad, computer, etc.) …

This is Ted from Crossway, BTW. :-)

Comment by Ted Slater — November 30, 2010 @ 11:32 am

9. Our family is going to see the movie for our oldest son’s 7th birthday celebration! So there will be two Hamilton parents, three Hamilton boys, and one little Hamilton girl still in her mother’s womb. Joining us will be a family from our church.

We can’t wait to see it! Though we’d rather not see our little ones grow up so fast : )

Jim

Comment by Jim Hamilton — November 30, 2010 @ 11:44 am

10. I will be taking my 4 children, ages 17, 15, 12 and 11. We just recently re-watched Lion, Witch and Wardrobe and Prince Caspian. So excited for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. While my children have each read all of the Chronicles books, I had not until just this past month. I purchased a copy that held all 7 books and worked my way through them. So glad that I did.

I, too, will be posting this on my blog. Thanks so much for making this chance to win a much-anticipated book possible.

Comment by Shelly Duffer — November 30, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

11. Hi Ted,

Were I to win, I’d prefer a print book. Love my Kindle, but still love print books even more. :)
    Shelly

Comment by Shelly Duffer — November 30, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

12. I’ve been reading and rereading the Chronicles of Narnia series since I was little! At one point, I was reading it so much, to the point that my parents hid the books from me. But I loved the books so much that I eventually found them and read them in secret. Now, seeing them come to life in the movies makes me amazingly happy. I’ve been following all three of them from when they were made/announced, and now I’m a Narnia reporter (I find Narnia-related news and send it in to the major Narnia fan sites).
    I will be going to see the movie at least twice; the first time, I’m going to the midnight premiere (in 3D) with several friends from church and a Christian club I attend called AWANA. Later, on Friday evening, I’ll be going again with a group that I organized with about 50ish people (mainly whole families, from church and AWANA). I hope I can see it a few more times after that, and then even more when it comes to dollar theaters!

If I won, I would love to get the book. =D

Comment by Daniel James — December 1, 2010 @ 12:42 am

13. I will be taking my wife and 2 children. It is always great to talk with my children about the analogies in these movies, and the books, which they have read.

Comment by William Dicks — December 1, 2010 @ 2:30 am

14. Ted,
    If I win, I would like the printed copy of the book.

Comment by Chris Land — December 1, 2010 @ 9:16 am

15. I’m taking my wife :) We’ll make a nice little date out of it. Maybe go out for some dessert afterwards.

Comment by Matt H — December 1, 2010 @ 9:55 am

16. We are counting down the days to go as a family! Our son has been fascinated with the Narnia series from the start. He often chooses the movie for Family Movie Night so we are building up to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with a Narnia “marathon”. We love the symbolism and have great discussions regarding scripture and CS Lewis’ writing. Thanks again to Christin Ditchfield for another guide to help us as we teach our son!

Comment by Julie Maren — December 1, 2010 @ 10:03 am

17. Our daughter. She’s been dying to go since the movie was announced. This is one of her favorite books.

Comment by Peter — December 1, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

18. Thanks to everyone who participated! Congrats to Greg (comment 4)! I’ll be contacting you shortly for your shipping info. Have a great weekend!

Comment by Angie Cheatham — December 3, 2010 @ 6:25 pm