Home > Crossway Blog > The ESV Study Bible Shrinking this January

The ESV Study Bible Shrinking this January

This January we’re releasing a smaller version of The ESV Study Bible. It will have the same notes, maps, and layout as the regular Study Bible, but will carry almost half the weight! (We did have to remove some of the articles to make this possible.)

Convenient and more portable, The ESV Study Bible, Personal Size will initially be available in hardcover, a TruTone® cover, and in genuine leather.

Here are some of its features:

• Size: 5.375″ x 8″
  • Single-column Bible text (7.7-point type); double-column notes (6.3-point type)
  • 2,560 pages
  • Black letter text
  • 25,000 study notes
  • 240 full-color maps and illustrations throughout
  • 80,000 cross-references
  • Complete introductions to every Bible book
  • Extensive concordance
  • Printed on finest quality European Bible paper
  • Smyth-sewn binding
  • Lifetime gurantee on all leather and TruTone® editions
  • Free access to the ESV Online Study Bible module with purchase of any print edition

The picture below gives a sense of the comparative dimensions of the ESV Study Bible and ESV Study Bible, Personal Size.

December 14, 2010 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible News,ESV Study Bible,News & Announcements | Author: Andrew Tebbe @ 6:00 am | (55) Comments »

1. “We did have to remove some of the articles to make this possible.”

which articles?

Comment by josh — December 14, 2010 @ 11:07 am

2. We’re working on a blog post on that very question, Josh. We’ll have the published within a couple of days. (Just need to make sure we provide accurate details.)

Comment by Ted Slater — December 14, 2010 @ 11:59 am

3. I heard in a Lutheran addition they left out James.

Comment by Will Adair — December 14, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

4. but it still has all the study notes?

will there be a premium calfskin, or perhaps (please?) lambskin edition?

Comment by James — December 14, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

5. James — Yup, the Personal Size includes all of the study notes. How did we do it? That’s a trade secret. ;-)

We may release the Personal Size in premium calfskin or lambskin at some future date, if there’s enough interest, but at this point we’re only able to offer hardcover, TrueTone®, and genuine leather.

Comment by Ted Slater — December 14, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

6. Hi

I would love a smaller esv study bible, but I am a little worried about the text size. Most personal sized study bibles have text thats way too small for me. What size is the text on the standard ESV reference and the ESV Study Bible?

Alex

Comment by alex — December 14, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

7. Alex — great question!

The standard ESV Study Bible: Single-column Bible text (9-point type); double-column notes (7.25-point type)

This ESV Study Bible, Personal Size: Single-column Bible text (7.7-point type); double-column notes (6.3-point type)

For comparison, our “Large Print” ESV (not a Study Bible) is 12.75-point type, our ESV Pew and Worship Bible is 8.8-point type, our ESV Thinline Bible is 8.2-point type, and our ESV Compact Bible is 6.4-point type.

Hopefully that’s not too much info. :-)

Comment by Ted Slater — December 14, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

8. You could always include a free set of glasses (1.5 mag?) and you can drop the font size again!

Comment by Dave Claridge — December 14, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

9. You mentioned two different trutone covers however the one link takes you to a genuine leather cover. Did you mean one trutone and one leather? Thanks!

Comment by Richard — December 14, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

10. Why not red text? Why does Crossway not print their Bibles with red letter text?

Instead of red, become a leader in the Bible publishing world and use a new color like purple (a royal color). JMHO

Comment by Dan Lunsford — December 15, 2010 @ 2:15 am

11. Dave — excellent idea. We’ll look into it. ;-)

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 9:02 am

12. Dan, we do print some Bibles where the words of Jesus are in red, among them the following:

ESV Thinline Bible
    ESV Classic Reference Bible

I like your idea about printing Jesus’ words in purple. I’ll pass it along to our Bible and Design teams.

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 9:12 am

13. Thanks for catching that, Richard. We’ve fixed the original post, adding the genuine leather version.

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 9:35 am

14. This is great to hear. My sister has been wanting an ESV study Bible because she loves the notes in mine, but she hates the size of it. This will be perfect for her.

Comment by Kevin Amundson — December 15, 2010 @ 10:55 am

15. Pretty excited about this one! Perfect for my wife!

Comment by Bentley — December 15, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

16. Just to double check, because the way it was communicated to me was that this “Personal Size” was going to replace the original first edition study bible. By my reading, that doesn’t appear to be the case. So you will be able to purchase two different versions of the ESV Study bible, the first edition (ALL notes, articles, etc) and the “personal size” with the same content except that some of the articles are removed, correct? Thanks.

Comment by Ronnie — December 15, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

17. Ted,
    Is there a sample page of the personal size text for those who are curious on the readability?
    Thanks

Comment by Paul T — December 15, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

18. Ronnie — that’s exactly correct. We’ll have both editions available for the foreseeable future:

* the larger ESV Study Bible, with larger font, and all the articles, and all the heft
    * the more humble ESV Study Bible, Personal Size, which is more portable

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

19. I’ll try to take a photo of them size-by-side, maybe with something ubiquitous to which you can compare them, like a quarter or an iPhone.

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

20. I am excited about this. I like the PSR and only wished it came with larger text…so this sounds like improved readability. Speaking of readability, thank you for providing black text editions.

As a side note, after spending time with the PSR and ESV study Bible I am convinced that paragraphed text in single column is the best way to go. The narratives and poetry look and read better.

Comment by Matt Morales — December 15, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

21. Please make the personal sized edition available in the UK. It’s a wonderful Bible, but not very portable in its present format.

Comment by Joanne Mead — December 15, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

22. OK, I’ve taken a couple of side-by-side photos with my iPhone, and uploaded them to Facebook:

If you’re not able to view them, you may need to “like” Crossway. Maybe you should “like” us in any case:

Warning: These are not professional photos. Set your expectations low. :-)

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

23. You guys going to be doing a bible giveaway? :D

Comment by Drew — December 15, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

24. Hm. Should we have some sort of contest or something? Do you have any fun ideas on how we could select winners, Drew?

Comment by Ted Slater — December 15, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

25. Red Text: Not to cause a stink but I assumed the reason why some bibles do not print red text is because it would be an exercise in redundancy:

The Word of God being the Word of God.

All Scripture is breathed out by God.

When Christ quoted Scripture as a riposte against Satan during Jesus’ time in the Wilderness, was he not just quoting Himself?

etc.,etc

Comment by Joseph Louthan — December 15, 2010 @ 4:09 pm

26. Thanks for the pics! The size looks good. I like Fat-Hand-sized bibles :)

Comment by Matt Morales — December 15, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

27. Hi Joanne

I’m also in the UK and looking out for the ESV SB in the personal size. I love my esv study bible, but I need to be sitting at a table to read it. Just to heavy to hold. I would love this to be a bible that I could use for everything, enough information and help so that it can be used as a study bible, but small enough to be able to read in bed.

I have been checking Amazon both the US and the UK sites and as yet they are not taking pre orders for the new ESV. However a number of US christian book shops are. I could order from one of them but the shipping costs will be a lot.

Comment by alex — December 16, 2010 @ 2:23 am

28. Hi Alex

I asked Eden.co.uk if they would be stocking it and they said that it would be available to pre-order some time in December. It’s not on their website yet.

I’ve only had my ESV Study Bible a few weeks and I love it!

Comment by Joanne Mead — December 16, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

29. Thank-you for your comments Joseph L. The Red-letter is sort of a “canon within a canon” that doesn’t make a lot of sense. Plus, the red letter fades and becomes more pink or orange letter over time.

Comment by Richard — December 16, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

30. I have the ESV Study Bible on an Android Phone via Kindle and on Kindle for PC too. Its very good value that way

Comment by Mark — December 16, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

31. Great stuff!

I’ve been trying to pre order one here in Ireland but it keeps telling me ‘This order cannot be processed due to the following title(s) have licensing agreements with international distributors in your area. Please remove the relevant items from your cart to proceed with the order.’

Can you explain,

Thanks

Comment by John Fitzsimmons — December 17, 2010 @ 8:48 am

32. I would like to see a single-column paragraph text of the personal size reference Bible, with red-letter text. Or even a single-column Bible without cross references in red-letter.

Comment by Joe — December 18, 2010 @ 10:07 am

33. There is nothing wrong with its current size: it’s size is an argument to get the ebook!

Comment by Preston — December 19, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

34. The ESV Study Bible with the articles in the back are a great training tool and primer for theological study in the church. I use this to teach small group leaders and future elders.

Comment by Michael Clary — December 22, 2010 @ 7:45 am

35. I wish Crossway would do a personal size reference bible in single column paragraph format in Cordovan calfskin or goatskin.

Comment by Ava — January 2, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

36. I would immediately buy this bible if released in calfskin or goatskin. I always liked the ESV study bible, but thought that it was just practically too large for easy use.

Comment by Nate — January 10, 2011 @ 9:37 am

37. It’s not on the docket for 2011, but we’ll see what unfolds after that.

Comment by Angie Cheatham — January 10, 2011 @ 11:28 am

38. Dear Sir,
    Where is your reseller of ESV books, or your affiliates situate in Singapore or Indonesia. Kindly reply and infoem us, because we love to acquire 2 books of it as our church ministry in Indonesia.
    Thanks for your best attention and information.RSVP.

Comment by wesley — January 31, 2011 @ 1:08 am

39. Indonesia –
    Metanoia – Jakarta
    Betania Missions – Semarang
    Momentum Christian Literature – Surabaya
    PT Times – Tangerang, Banten

Singapore –
    Bethesda Book Centre
    Shalom Church / Christian Media
    SKS Book Warehouse
    Tecman Holdings Pte. Ltd.
    Campus Crusade Asia
    Singapore Baptist Bookstore
    Trumpet Praise
    Fellowship of Evangelical Students
    Paperclip Pte Ltd
    TULIP Reformed Book Centre Services Pte Ltd
    B.L.E.S.S. Services Pte Ltd
    Biblical Graduate School of Theology
    Cornerstone Resources Ltd

Comment by Angie Cheatham — January 31, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

40. does anyone know what the binding length is going to be on this bible as it was hard to find a good bible cover for the reg. sized ESV study bible.

Comment by Michael — February 1, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

41. The exact dimensions of the cover for the hard cover edition are 8.3125 x 5.6875. The dimensions for the soft cover are slightly different: 8.375 x 5.825. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 4, 2011 @ 10:46 am

42. Any update as to which articles did not make it into this personal sized edition? Thanks

Comment by Dave — February 9, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

43. Dave–the personal sized ESVSB is identical to the regular Study Bible up until the end of Revelation. That includes all the introductions and other articles interspersed throughout the body of the biblical text. The back matter is where it differs. The personal sized edition features a slightly shorter concordance and is missing all of the back matter articles found in the regular Study Bible. Here is a comprehensive list of articles left out of this edition:

God’s Plan of Salvation
    Biblical Doctrine: An Overview (14 sub-articles)
    Biblical Ethics: An Overview (12 sub-articles)
    Interpreting the Bible (2 sub-articles)
    Reading the Bible (5 sub-articles)
    The Canon of Scripture (3 sub-articles)
    The Reliability of Bible Manuscripts (2 sub-articles)
    Archaeology and the Bible (2 sub-articles)
    The Original Languages of the Bible (2 sub-articles)
    The Septuagint
    How the New Testament Quotes and Interprets the Old Testament
    The Bible in Christianity (5 sub-articles)
    The Bible and World Religions (3 sub-articles)
    The Bible and Religious Cults (4 sub-articles)
    History of Salvation in the Old Testament: Preparing the Way for Christ

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 10, 2011 @ 9:35 am

44. I’m looking forward to a premium calfskin or lambskin, too. Preferably with an overhang.
    A thumb index would be great.
    Also two or three ribbons instead of just one.

Comment by Mika — April 27, 2011 @ 2:36 am

45. Dear Crossway Employees Checking this Blog,

Is there any news on if and when the ESV Study Bible, personal size, will be offered in calfskin or goatskin? And any news on thumb indexing?

Thanks,
    Jason

Comment by Jason — June 23, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

46. Jason,

I’m not sure if we have concrete plans for a premium version of the ESVSB, Personal Size, but we can certainly discuss the idea. As far as thumb indexing, right now we’re not moving in that direction, but we’ll be sure to let you know if anything changes! I know the ESV Ryrie Study Bible, published by Moody, is thumb-indexed.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — June 24, 2011 @ 10:19 am

47. I see the list of articles which are not included in the personal size. Is there a way to access those available online for people who get the personal size?

Comment by Beth — November 9, 2011 @ 12:48 am

48. Great question Beth. The ESV personal size comes with complete access to the ESV Study Bible Online. Once you log in to your online account you will have access to all of the articles. Your account login information was included with the Bible.

Comment by Angie Cheatham — November 14, 2011 @ 8:23 am

49. Hi, is there any chance of thumb indexing in the future for this study bible? If not is there a way I can get it put in?

Comment by Joey Bredesen — April 26, 2012 @ 12:41 am

50. Joey, I’m sorry to say we don’t have plans for a thumb-indexed edition of the Study Bible. After a cursory google search I found a third-party service that seems to do custom thumb-indexing: http://www.rossgage.com. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 26, 2012 @ 9:30 am

51. I love the ESV Study Bible, but cannot get totally comfortable with it because it does not have the words of Christ in red. PLEASE consider
    printing it with red text!

Comment by Gail — October 13, 2012 @ 8:06 am

52. Has anyone tried the http://www.rossage.com website? Will they do one book at a time?

Comment by Bill — November 19, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

53. I am with Gail, above. I absolutely adore my ESV Study Bible. The size is fine for me and it is my favorite Bible, but it is such a huge letdown that words of Christ are not in red, or another distinctive color. This beautiful Bible has such detail, but this one significant feature has been left out. 2949365 208

Comment by Kaira — September 12, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

54. I love your ESV Study Bible – wonderful Bible! But PLEASE, red letter it (or what ever color you choose) and thumb tabs! PLEASE!!!! Then it would not only be “wonderful” but PERFECT!!! Thank you – God bless!

Comment by Amanda Stanush — November 6, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

55. Please do a study bible with Christ’s words in red. I started my Christian life with a red letter bible and it is difficult to read one that isn’t. I love ESV but I can’t find an ESV study bible with red letter.

Comment by David — November 7, 2013 @ 11:40 pm