Home > Crossway Blog > ESV Bible 0.9 Now Available for Windows Phone 7

ESV Bible 0.9 Now Available for Windows Phone 7

You own a Windows Phone 7. You’re looking for a good Bible app, and would rather not spend any money on it.

Look no further.

We have released a beta version of the ESV Bible application, and have made it available at no cost. You’ll find it by searching the Marketplace for “ESV Bible.”

As with our Android beta app, this has limited functionality; more features will be included over coming months. We’re simply eager to get Scripture into the palm of your hand, and are happy to provide this to you ahead of the full 1.0 release.

Once you’ve had a chance to try it out, let us know what you think: what features you’d like to see included, what bugs you’ve found, and so on. We’ll pass your comments along to our developers.

January 18, 2011 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Crossway Staff @ 3:22 pm | (12) Comments »

1. Thanks for adding a Windows Phone 7 version. I was very excited to see this.

Some feedback:
    - the developers should look at the UI guidance from Microsoft. The app should try to adopt more of the practices so that the app is more consistent with other apps on the phone.
    - can you make the icon colour?
    - I’d like to be able to pinch and zoom to change font size
    - in the browse window, it’s a bit slow when I click on a book (using Samsung Focus)

Thanks again!

Comment by Andrew — January 19, 2011 @ 1:09 am

2. Just installed it and the version installed shows 0.5. Also, the feature to go back to the prior chapter doesn’t seem to work in 0.5. I like what I see and hope that some of the hints of annotations and such will be materialized in the future, but it’s a decent first version.

Comment by Peter — January 19, 2011 @ 9:59 am

3. Still v0.5 at the moment.

Excellent typography makes reading within chapter very easy. A very good foundation that unfortunately I’m distracted from by the navigation which feels like it was designed for a different platform.

A single tap to page would be less intrusive than touch scrolling to navigate through the chapter – though obviously both options is handy for keeping groups of verses on screen.

Navigation is slow – both in screen refresh performance and in the interaction required.

White on black option will help users optimizing for battery life.

66 items is a lot to scroll through – think about breaking it into separate pages in a pivot – OT/NT. Not everyone knows how to navigate the bible – perhaps a jump list would target this sector better. Would be useful to be able to jump between recent passages to keep pace with pasages used in a study or sermon.

Comment by John — January 21, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

4. Nice apps, thanks! What I’m searching for is a wp7 customizable Bible, like using my own language eg; which supports loading my bible *.txt or .xml somthing like that. See my Bible txt file screenshot http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3498/27201115330am.jpg

Can someone please help me? I really need it for my daily Bible reading. Thanks!

Comment by hr — February 6, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

5. I would love to download it, but cannot find it when I search for it on your site.

Comment by gina — February 27, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

6. Gina — We appreciate your interest in the ESV Bible app for Windows Phone 7. You’re right, it’s unavailable for download through our site. You’ll have to get it directly through the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. I’m eager to hear how you like it, Gina!

Comment by Ted Slater — February 28, 2011 @ 8:51 am

7. Looks like there is a lot of potential. I hope that the final version has all the features that the iPhone app has today. It is VERY nice to have a Bible app with the full text downloaded to my phone so I don’t have to be online to access the text — very nice!

The UI for navigating to the book list is not very discoverable. The top row does not always display the “browse” link, but if I select the upper left of the screen it does go back to the book list. My recommendation here is to adopt the standard WP7 menu system where these menu items are displayed at the boot and are always available.

The “previous chapter” link does not work at all.

Great job and I can’t wait for an update.

Comment by wes — March 2, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

8. Has the app been removed? It quit working for me (wouldn’t load), I uninstalled it, and when I went to reinstall it, I can’t find it on the marketplace.

Comment by D.J. Williams — July 11, 2011 @ 11:21 am

9. I really appreciate Crossway’s efforts to bring the ESV Bible to WP7. However, as it is, the app needs much improvement.

Few things that I’ve noticed:

- Interface is slow, app loading is not smooth at all.
    - App crashes.
    - After unlocking the screen, you’ll find that the app is back on Genesis 1, and it’s quite slow at performing that action.
    - Rotation renders the app unusable at times.
    - Can’t say anything about the ‘Favourites’, ‘Highlights’, and ‘Notes’ features, as I haven’t used them, but I believe that the ‘History’ feature doesn’t work as it should (As in, it’s not recording my reading.)

For those of you who want to contact the App team directly, I presume that you could write to them at the e-mail provided by the app’s Support page:

appsupport@esv.org

Please, do specify that your inquiry is for the WP7 app.

Anyway, I do hope that was of some help… And would like to see the WP7 app working as well as it does on iOS! :-P

God bless!

Comment by Jorge — November 27, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

10. Jorge,

Thanks for your comments. Our digital media manager says we’re prepping an update based on the recently released “Mango” update for WP7. It should resolve most if not all of the performance issues. While I don’t have a firm timeline for when it will be ready, we’ll let everyone know when it is. Thanks again!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 28, 2011 @ 8:11 am

11. I have a Samsung Focus S. Please allow the app to remember where you were…history does not work.

Comment by Steve Lyles — January 31, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

12. Steve, sorry you’re having difficulty with the app. Probably the best (and fastest) way to get it addressed would be to directly contact our developers via our online forum: http://community.crossway.org/crossway/products/crossway_esv_mobile_wp7

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 1, 2012 @ 9:14 am