Home > Crossway Blog > Scripture, Set Free Into All Technologies

Scripture, Set Free Into All Technologies

At Crossway, we have the highest regard for Scripture. Our passion to reach people with the gospel and the truth of God’s Word is the driving force behind everything that we do. Including our use of technology.

When we released the English Standard Version of the Bible in 2001, we immediately made it available online, for free. Eager to get the Bible into as many formats as people will read, we’ve released the ESV as an iPhone/iPad app, Android app, and as an eBook for your Kindle or Nook.

Prefer to listen to Scripture? ¬†You can stream it at ESV Online. We’ve worked with our friends at Faith Comes By Hearing to offer several audio versions of the Bible, for free. Another set of audio files is available on YouTube.

For our technologically savvy friends, we’ve even made the API to our ESV Bible text and ESV audio available free of charge for non-commercial use.

Why make this content available for free digitally? Because the Lord has been generous to us by entrusting his Word to us, which is able to make us wise for salvation through faith in Jesus (2 Timothy 3:15). As we are able to by God’s grace, we want to make it easier for people worldwide to access this inexhaustible treasure.

The barrier is low; you’re but a few clicks away from being able to engage the very word of God.

January 4, 2011 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible News,Company Updates,Digital,Digital,ESV,ESV,News & Announcements | Author: Crossway Staff @ 9:29 am | (16) Comments »

1. This looks like a great way for more people to get access to the word of God. Thanks so much for making such a great translation and being so free with it!

Regards,
    Andrew

Comment by Andrew — January 4, 2011 @ 9:36 am

2. Any chance of a blackberry app soon?

Comment by Steve Dalton — January 4, 2011 @ 9:42 am

3. Thank you Crossway. This is something I have wondered why other publishers don’t do and the only conclusion that I can come to is that money is more a driving force than the gospel.

So a hearty thank you from just one of the people you have blessed.

Comment by James — January 4, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

4. Please consider the HP WebOS platform as well. HP has created a tool for porting from one develop platform to another. The Bible Reader Plus application uses the BibleGateway.com API, but that requires an Internet connection.

Comment by Shopharim — January 4, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

5. Please consider the HP WebOS platform as well. HP has created a tool for easily porting from one development platform to another. The Bible Reader Plus application uses the BibleGateway.com API, but that requires an Internet connection.

Comment by Shopharim — January 4, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

6. Thank you for doing this! Just curious if there are plans for a drm-free epub version being released at no cost also? I have a Sony Reader and can’t use the free Kindle/Nook versions. We own two nice ESV study bibles, but this would be sweet to carry around!
    Thanks from a Wheaton native in Seattle :-)

Comment by Ben — January 4, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

7. Can I add my voice to the thanks. I love the ESV translation, but the openness you show (as opposed to many other Bible publishers) just makes it all the sweeter.

Comment by mrben — January 5, 2011 @ 4:37 am

8. So great that this is offered for free.

What I am surprised by is that I am not able to find the ESV daily reader for the Kindle. That would be a perfect way of staying up with reading through the Bible. In fact there are only two versions of daily reading available for the Kindle and I really wish the ESV would join this small crowd. Of course this is something I would expect to pay for and gladly would. Any plans for this to happen?

Comment by Ryan — January 5, 2011 @ 8:53 am

9. Ryan — we had discussed including a reading plan with the Kindle eBook version of the ESV, but it didn’t happen. I wonder if you could use one of the following reading plans and formats to meet your needs:

Comment by Ted Slater — January 5, 2011 @ 9:20 am

10. Ben — I wasn’t as clear as I should have been when I wrote the original blog post. Yes, you may download an ePub version of the ESV, at no cost, via this page:

The ePub version of the ESV Study Bible is available as a $14.99 download via this page:

Hope that’s helpful!

Comment by Ted Slater — January 5, 2011 @ 9:28 am

11. REALLY would love a Windows Phone 7 native app. The iPhone app was well done & WP7 should get its own native app as well.

Comment by Glenn — January 5, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

12. Hi! I am a HUGE fan of the ESV Study + app and I use it EVERY day. I also own a print copy of the ESV Study Bible, the Reformation Study Bible and I have a Premium Compact ESV as well. As you can tell, I love my ESV!! I also make regular use of the ESV Online site thanks to it containing all of the stuff that makes the ESV Study Bible in print so great. What I can’t fathom, however is why you haven’t linked my notes, favorites and highlights from my ESV Study + App to the ESV Online website! I would love to be able to easily retrieve my notes and find my “favorites” on the nice monitor at my desk when I’m studying at home. Please Please Please do this!! It would really add value for those who spent their money on the Study + iPhone app.

Comment by Nick Schoeneberger — January 24, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

13. Nick — great minds think alike; our developers are working hard at adding that functionality, and expect to have it available within a couple of months.

Comment by Ted Slater — January 24, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

14. I recently noticed that the ESV Bible is now available in Apple’s iBookstore. What would be the advantage of using that version versus using an ESV app?

Thanks,
    Bobby

Comment by Bobby — February 27, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

15. Bobby — Great question. There is a lot of overlap between the eBook and app; we are simply providing both, for those who prefer one over the other.

We’ve provided the eBook version for those who prefer to flip through the pages of the Bible as they would a regular book, for example. The app, on the other hand, features “infinite scrolling” and a different method of reading footnotes.

In the future, the app will sync with the website, so that any notes you make in one platform will automatically show up in the other, provided you have an account and are logged in. Because of its limitations, this functionality will not be available for the eBook.

Comment by Ted Slater — February 28, 2011 @ 9:01 am