Home > Crossway Blog > Improved Navigation on ESV Study Bible, Kindle Edition

Improved Navigation on ESV Study Bible, Kindle Edition

Good news: We’ve released a significant update for the ESV Study Bible, Kindle Edition, and it includes a feature that allows you to quickly navigate to any verse.

If you own a previous version of the ESV Study Bible, Kindle Edition, you’ll want to replace it with the new file; you may have to go to Amazon.com’s “Manage Your Kindle” page to reinstall it. Please note that because this is an entirely new file, any notes and highlighting that you’ve made on an earlier version will be lost.

To quickly access to a verse, first open up the ESV Study Bible and click the “menu” button, and then the “index” option. Then start typing the book (using 2- or 3-letter abbreviations) and the chapter and the verse (each separated by spaces). Then click on the “find” button. That’s it!

You can read more detailed navigation instructions in the “How to Use the ESV Study Bible, Kindle Edition” section of the eBook, which you access by going to “Menu > Go To > Beginning.”

This may be a good time to also update your Kindle operating system; you can find the latest Kindle OS on Amazon’s site.

Note: The new navigation feature doesn’t work on the 1st Generation Kindle.

We really appreciate your constructive criticism; without it, we may not have revisited the ESV Study Bible’s navigation as quickly. Please leave additional feedback below, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions and pass your concerns along to our developers.

Feel free to spread the word to your friends about this significant update by clicking through to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. via one of the icons below.

March 8, 2011 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Angie Cheatham @ 6:00 am | (93) Comments »

1. Does this change affect the both the The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV) & the ESV Study Bible? I have both of them on my Kindle. One for my personal reading and the other for reading with my family. Thanks so much for all you guys do!

Comment by Grant Garber — March 8, 2011 @ 7:16 am

2. I have updated my latest generation Kindle to 3.1 and have also replaced my copy of the ESV SB, but I do not see an “index” selection after pressing the menu button when in the ESV SB.

Comment by Jerry — March 8, 2011 @ 8:45 am

3. Thanks for this update. Previously it was very difficult to get around the Study Bible. I’m downloading the new version now.

Comment by Kenny Kerr — March 8, 2011 @ 8:47 am

4. Am I understanding correctly that this is a free update? I deleted my ESV study Bible Kindle version and then went to Amazon.com and had it “resent” to my Kindle, but I do not have the “new navigation feature” (index) under Menu. And I have the 3rd generation Kindle.

Comment by Charlene — March 8, 2011 @ 9:00 am

5. I’m torn between being excited for this new navigation, since I love using the ESV Study Bible on my Kindle but I’m not crazy about the speed, and frustration at losing my highlights/notes. I know this is an issue with Amazon, not Crossway, but I have a LOT of notes saved up in that file and I can’t decide whether it’s worth it to try and replicate my notes and switch over to the new version, or hold off.

Comment by Caroline — March 8, 2011 @ 9:09 am

6. I use kindle on my mac and on my iphone. Can you give some step by step instructions on how to get the new upgraded version.

Comment by Todd Mogilner — March 8, 2011 @ 9:35 am

7. Thank you all for your feedback! If you purchased the ESV Study Bible from the Kindle store prior to the update, you will soon be receiving an email from Amazon Customer Service that will give you instructions on how to access the new file. This message will be sent to the email address that is connected with your Kindle account. You will not need to purchase the ESV Study Bible again.
    Unfortunately, if you choose to receive the updated file, all of your saved notes and highlights will be unavailable. Because of this, Amazon Customer Service will deliver the new file to your account only if you respond to their email instructing them to do so.

Thank you again for your feedback and your patience in this process! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment by Liz Young — March 8, 2011 @ 11:43 am

8. I am not seeing how to update this on my Amazon/Kindle. I have the latest Kindle version. Can you assist?

Comment by Sara Rankin — March 8, 2011 @ 11:46 am

9. saw the previous comment. thanks Liz!

Comment by Sara Rankin — March 8, 2011 @ 11:46 am

10. If you have not received the email yet from Amazon and wish to hurry the process a bit, you can go to the manage my kindle page and hit support. Then use their call back feature which is pretty close to instant (Call is instant, person may take a moment or two more) and ask to speak with a kindle specialist. Then simply explain you would like the update pushed to your account, they will be worried you are going to lose your notes and location info. If you are as well, don’t start this process, but as she said to me “this is like a totally new book, your OK with that?” I said yes and I saw it begin to download.

It’s here and I see the index, it is much quicker to get wherever your wanting to.

Comment by NRHJohn — March 8, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

11. I’ve tried several times, but I’m not getting the new version. I suspect it hasn’t migrated across to the Australian Kindle Store as yet.

Comment by Nathan W. Bingham — March 8, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

12. Thank you!! Followed Liz and “NRHJohn”‘s instructions to call Amazon and have them help me delete my old ESV SB then download the new file. No problem! Looks like it will be just what I’ve wanted!! I’m waiting now for the ESV to “index” itself, so I will “sleep on it” – it’s 11:30 pm now! and trust it will be ready to use for my quiet time in the morning!!! Thanks so much for all you’re doing to make the Word so available and usable!!!! Jen! (PS- why don’t you have this form say “email” instead of “mail” :-))

Comment by Jen White — March 8, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

13. LOVE the update — I ended up calling Amazon to get it pushed out. So much zippier than before. Thanks to the team for making the change.

Comment by Caroline — March 11, 2011 @ 7:36 am

14. I called Amazon this morning and they deleted my ESV Study Bible, issued a credit, and allowed me to repurchase. I am still not seeing this feature. I still love my ESV Study Bible, even without this feature.

Comment by Jonathan Smith — March 14, 2011 @ 6:21 am

15. I have contacted Amazon twice. They had me delete the ESVSB from my Kindle and re-download. I am still not seeing this feature either.

Comment by Mike Walters — March 17, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

16. I called Amazon yesterday. He had me delete my ESV Study Bible from my Kindle, and then they downloaded the new one with the update to my Kindle. However, there is no Index. It’s just like the old version. In fact, my highlights are still there. How do I get the updated version of the ESV Study Bible to my Kindle? Thanks!

Comment by Amy — March 27, 2011 @ 11:37 am

17. I have the new version I can see the index but the navigation feature doesn’t work.

Comment by Kyle Mullaney — April 4, 2011 @ 3:36 am

18. I guess you have to be in the index for it to work? Not as helpful directlink technology as was expected.
    I also bought this book when the amazon description (in December) said that we would get acess to the full online version but never got code for it. I just tried to use it and it says it is a trial version.

Comment by Kyle Mullaney — April 4, 2011 @ 3:39 am

19. Just got the ESV Study Bible for Kindle. The navigation is super. I use several Bible versions on the Kindle, but none of the them is as easy to navigate as the ESV Study Bible. Well done, Crossway. I hope other publishers follow your example.

Comment by Bruce — April 5, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

20. Thanks for the encouragement Bruce!

Comment by Angie Cheatham — April 6, 2011 @ 8:34 am

21. Is there a way to do a search on the ESV (Kindle 3 update) that would be like searching in the ESV concordance in the back of a Bible? When I did a search for the word “chosen” in the ESV it came up with 168 PAGES to go through. If I could have seen a list (Gen. through Rev.) like in most study Bibles, I would have known that I wanted to quickly look through Colossians or NT epistles, read through the short parts of verses and found what I was looking for. Going through 168 pages with just the location number (not the Book) is impossible! Is there something I’m missing? Please help! Thanks! (Your ESV Bible is still the best thing around and I love using it! I’m working at memorizing the 2 letter abbreviations for using your “index!”)

Comment by Jen White — May 16, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

22. Jen, Thanks for your comments. We are working on a solution to this issue now that will allow you to search and receive results that are more usable than the results from the search feature. The update will be announced on our blog once it is released so keep an eye out for the announcement. Thanks!

Comment by Liz Young — May 31, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

23. Is there a way to highlight an entire verse versus one word at a time?

Comment by Katie — June 27, 2011 @ 5:39 am

24. Please mention that the navigation technique that you implemented was designed by OSNOVA (i.e. me). I call it Direct Verse Jump 2 (DVJ-2).

Comment by OSNOVA — June 29, 2011 @ 6:43 am

25. I just purchased the Kindle John Macarthur esvsb,
    is this version transferable to the my ESV online account? Are the study notes transferable (as well as other bible notes,in combination with what already is included?

Comment by Carol — July 3, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

26. Carol, Kindle books are all self-contained, so any original content and added content (i.e. notes you add) are unique to that file. Unfortunately there’s no way of transferring any of that content across. The MacArthur Study Bible resources are available as their own module on ESVBible.org.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — July 5, 2011 @ 9:35 am

27. Hi, I am in the UK. I deleted my ESV Bible from my kindle 3 and go to amazon.co.uk to re-download it. It’s the same version with no index feature. Can you please confirm if the version on amazon.co.uk was updated or not?
    Cheers,
    John

Comment by John Z — August 22, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

28. John, Thanks for your comment. To receive the updated file you will need to contact Amazon customer service and request the update. Once you’ve requested it, they will push the new file to your device. Please note, you will lose any highlights and notes that you’ve made on the old version. Please let us know if you have any other issues. Thanks!

Comment by Liz Young — August 25, 2011 @ 9:38 am

29. I contacted Amazon.co.uk’s support and they solved the problem within 12 hours. Many thanks,
    John

Comment by John Z — August 26, 2011 @ 11:19 am

30. I noticed this feature on the text version of the ESV bible I bought for my Kindle for quick reading, having bought the ESV study bible for Kindle last year. So when I checked the description online for the ESV Study Bible for Kindle having added this feature–and the announcement here–I have spent two days trying to get my ESV STudy Bible on Kindle updated to no effect.

Long story made short, still can’t get the index version. I tried just deleting and reloading it from my “Manage your Kindle” site as suggested above. No go. I then contacted Amazon support. THEY said the only ESV Study Bible they have is from April of 2009 (long before March, 2011). I’ve even re-downloaded the bible to my PC and moved it over.. Still no go.

So just how does one get this feature?

Comment by Caine — September 13, 2011 @ 7:17 am

31. Caine,

The updated version is there…when I called, at first Amazon support couldn’t find it, but it is there. Maybe next time you call, you can point out that others have gotten it. I know the update is available and they will push it your Kindle and any other devices you might have it on.

Comment by Caroline — September 13, 2011 @ 9:33 am

32. I have what Amazon’s customer service says is the updated ESV Study Bible on my Kindle Fire. In the Bible’s comments on Direct Access to Any Verse, it says the index feature is not available on the Kindle Fire. If this is true, do you plan to make it available soon?

Comment by Lois Crum — December 20, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

33. Lois, we’re aware of this problem and are working with Amazon to sort this issue out. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 21, 2011 @ 7:27 am

34. How come the maps in the ESV Study Bible made for Kindle 3 also come out as grayscale even in the Kindle App for Android phones, but for the Kindle Fire they are in color? It would seem to me that the maps should come out in color on all color devices (such as smart phones).

Comment by Bruce — January 2, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

35. Bruce, the file we send to Amazon is a color file, and should display color maps on mobile devices featuring the Kindle app. We recommend contacting Amazon’s customer service to see if you have the most recent edition of the Study Bible. If you do, and it still doesn’t work, it’s a question for Amazon. Sorry we can’t help more!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 3, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

36. Deleted old esv Bible and downloaded again,but was not updated version. Called Amazon and they sent the new version with index. I am happy with new navigation, but concordance feature doesn’t work. Following instructions c..atonement takes you to Colossians. Is there another way to get the concordance to work?

Comment by carol — January 22, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

37. Carol, we’ve corrected the problem and are uploading the new file to Amazon today. You should be able to request the new, updated file from Amazon by the end of the week. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 23, 2012 @ 11:07 am

38. Hello Andrew,

Will the new file allow for better navigation on the Kindle Touch? I can’t seem to figure out how the use the awesome Index feature (which I loved on my Kindle 2) on the Touch. Thanks for any advice! Love having the ESV Study Bible on my Kindle. :)

Comment by Caroline — January 25, 2012 @ 7:24 am

39. Caroline, the file works with every device, but because each device functions uniquely the file works a little differently on each device. The updated files all have instructions on how to use the indexing on each device that uses indexing. I don’t have a Kindle Touch in front of me, so I’m afraid I can’t be more specific. I know for sure the Fire doesn’t have the index feature, so I suppose it’s possible the Touch doesn’t either. Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any more problems!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 25, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

40. Thanks for your speedy response, Andrew! I will give it another shot once I get the newly updated file. We will see if it does work on the Touch… hopefully so!

Comment by Caroline — January 25, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

41. The index feature on my Kindle 4 Touch is not working for the ESVSB. If I go Menu->Go to Index, I get pages and pages of a two columns that have sequential entries that look like this; 1ch 1 1, 1ch 1 10, 1ch 11, 1ch 12 etc.

Is there and update for the Kindle 4 touch?

Comment by Grant — February 6, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

42. Please ignore my previous post. Amazon has just sorted it out for me. I also now have cross references which I did not have before. I love my ESVSB, what an incredible resource.

Comment by Grant — February 6, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

43. Grant, glad to hear you were able to get what you needed from Amazon!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 7, 2012 @ 8:28 am

44. I just downloaded esv study bible again, and typing in c..tonement still takes me to colossians.

Comment by carol — February 25, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

45. I just called Amazon, as they sent me an email asking if they had solved the problem. Downloaded esv study bible again. The concordance works this time.

Comment by carol — February 25, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

46. Carol, glad to hear it’s working!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 27, 2012 @ 8:14 am

47. just bought kindle fire and esv menu and index option doesn’t work and kindle support was no nelp

Comment by patty — February 29, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

48. Patty, I’m sorry to say Amazon has a few things to work out with the Kindle Fire before the ESV Bible file is fully functional. We’ve been working with them since the first days of the Fire and are hoping this is something they can fix with a software update soon. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 29, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

49. Hi

Is there any way of accessing relevant maps/charts/diagrams/etc from within a chapter, rather than going through the TOC? If you have to guess when to look for one of those you might miss it more often that you’d like. Browsing through the TOC and different lists also takes time if you are going do it several times over.

Regards,
    Sakarias

Comment by Sakarias Ingolfsson — March 28, 2012 @ 10:06 am

50. We are about to release a updated version of the Study Bible, which will show the maps and charts in the study notes about where they appear in the text. Stay tuned!

Comment by Angie Cheatham — April 3, 2012 @ 9:32 am

51. Last time I asked Amazon to update my ESV Kindle, Amazon told me that they can’t give me a new “edition” for free – then I had to convince them it was a corrected text – nothing new. I wish there was a way to just do an update from your “Manage My Kindle” page – just like they do with their active apps.

Comment by jonathan — April 5, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

52. Jonathan, I know it’s a pain, and I’m really sorry for the inconvenience! Unfortunately this is the system Amazon has in place right now, so it’s what we have to work with. If they develop a more streamlined approach to updating Kindle files we’ll be sure to let everyone know. Thanks for your patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 5, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

53. When trying to use the ESV Study Bible for Kindle on Kindle for mac, it seems there is no index feature. Is this an update coming soon, or will I need to go to the table of contents each time I want to go to a different book, and then flip to the chapter manually? Would this be the same on an iPad?
    Thanks

Comment by Paul — April 5, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

54. Also, my maps on Kindle for mac seem to all black and white. Can this be fixed? I bought my copy in July 2011 and my kindle for mac is up to date as of January 2012.

Comment by Paul — April 5, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

55. Paul, I know Amazon has had some formatting problems with the index and maps features on several of their platforms, although I’m not sure if Kindle for Mac was one of them. I would suggest contacting Amazon customer service and asking for the most recent file version (unfortunately the only way to update your Amazon file). If that doesn’t solve either of your problems, let me know. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 9, 2012 @ 8:21 am

56. I am trying to use the ESV study bible(purchased in December) on my kindle touch since the recent software update (5.1) to kindle 8 format. There is no longer a link to the table of contents. Instead they have the entire table of contents in the go to menu. It is too slow to scroll through the entire list to get to the particular chapter you are looking for. I also find that it doesn’t work to go to the menu and click index as you mentioned above. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Comment by Charles — April 12, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

57. Charles, thanks for your comment. Amazon’s update changes the way the kindle reads the ebook file. We’re working on an update, but it will take a week or so for it to be available from Amazon. We have little control or notice over these coding issues. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 13, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

58. I’ve downloaded the free version of the ESV Bible and like it so much that I’d like to buy the study bible. However, I want to be sure it is the newest updated version (April 2012). There’s nothing in the Product Details to tell me which version is available. I’d like to suggest that you include this information. Thanks!

Comment by Jim S. — April 27, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

59. Also, there is some confusion as to whether purchase of the Kindle version includes an access key to the online resources. It would be nice if this info was included in the Product Information as well.

Comment by Jim S. — April 27, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

60. Jim, unfortunately the Kindle version of the ESV Study Bible does not come with free access to the ESV Study Bible resources on ESVBible.org. Updating the product information is a great idea and I’m doing so now.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 27, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

61. Thanks, Andrew. I hope your update to the product info will also include the version date. I’m ready to buy the ESV Study Bible but want to wait until the new update is released to avoid the problems mentioned by other users.

Comment by Jim S. — April 27, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

62. Jim, I sent you an email adrressing this in more detail this afternoon. I’m unfortunately not able to update the product info to say whether it’s the 2007 text or the 2011 text because we’re still in the transition period. Frankly we cant guarantee which text it will be. Many retailers and distributors have older inventory, and we’re still working through some ourselves. It’s unfortunate the transition takes so much time, but Bible printings happen in massive quantities and the reality is it takes quite a while for all inventory to be uniform. Thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience. Please see my email for a suggested solution. Thanks!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 27, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

63. I am having a lot of trouble with the navigation since the operating system was updated on my Kindle Touch. I can’t get to the table of contents and the index is by chapter, not book. It is nearly impossible to participate in a Bible study or do anything than read from beginning to end. Please update the Kindle version to work better with the new operating system.

Comment by Bill Walker — May 22, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

64. Also, how do I set up automatic notification once the version is updated for the new operating system? Does this come through Crossway or Amazon?

Comment by Bill Walker — May 22, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

65. Bill, I’m afraid your navigation difficulties are due to Amazon’s system update. We’ve optimized our Kindle files to what Amazon provides us, but they occasionally add and remove features. We’re aware of the problems and will fix them when and if we can.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 22, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

66. Bill, I’m afraid you’ll need to contact Amazon customer service to ask about notifications. That’s something they set up on their end.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 22, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

67. My wife and I both have the ESV Study Bible on our Kindle. When Amazon sent the notice about the update, I THOUGHT it would only update mine. Guess what? It updated both of our Kindles without us even being asked!! Consequently, my wife lost all of her notes.

In the past Amazon would require you to upload separately to each Kindle. Not this time.

Is there anyway to get her notes back?

Comment by Gary D — July 11, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

68. Gary (comment #67) — all your notes and highlights are saved in the My Clippings text file generated on your Kindle. If you copy that to your computer, you can save your wife’s notes. I know it’s a bummer if they aren’t in the Kindle file anymore, but they are not lost completely.

Comment by Caroline — July 12, 2012 @ 7:29 am

69. Caroline (comment #67) – thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I can find the notes in My Clippings, but how do I copy them to my computer?

Comment by Gary D — July 12, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

70. Gary, just connect the kindle to your computer via the USB cord. The Kindle will show up as a driver/peripheral device on your computer. Open the drive and then open the folder called documents. In the documents folder, you will find a text file called “My Clippings” — just copy that text file to your desktop or another place on your computer, and safely eject the Kindle.

Unless your wife only took notes on the Bible, there will be other books’ notes jumbled in that file too. You can use https://na1.salesforce.com/01t30000003xHtZ to make a file of a single book’s notes. Hope this helps!

Comment by Caroline — July 13, 2012 @ 7:18 am

71. Thank you so much Caroline for your specific help. At least we now have the notes on the computer. Thanks again.

God Bless You,

Gary Deeds

Comment by Gary D — July 13, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

72. Well, we printed out the notes with the location number, but apparently when the Bible was updated the location number is changed. So, we don’t know where in the old version her notes are from.

In other words, we have the notes, but can’t find the location in the updated Bible.

Comment by Gary D — July 13, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

73. Hi! Pressing the forward toggle switch on the Kindle used to bring me to the next chapter of what I was reading in the ESV. Now it brings me to the next book of the Bible. Is this part of the update, or a glitch?

Comment by Roxanne — October 18, 2012 @ 8:05 am

74. I’m having the same problem Roxanne is regarding skipping to the next book from the 5 way controller rather than the next chapter. Actually, mine skips to a table of contents for the next book. Very frustrating as it takes you totally out of context. Is this a bug or was it intentional? Will it be fixed?

Comment by Steve — November 3, 2012 @ 11:20 am

75. When I updated my kindle touch software I like others was disappointed to see that navigating on my ESV became very difficult – it worked well on the earlier version. SO I decided to update my ESV in the hope that it would be configured for easy use on the newer amazon kindle software but not so. Given that the main issue that was being promoted for the new was the better navigation I am disappointed that it is worse than it was originally. What would make it better would be if you could put back the “contents page” link that we could use to chose the book we wanted.

Comment by mick — November 7, 2012 @ 8:00 am

76. I¡¦ll immediately clutch your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me realize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

Comment by a kasse regler — December 5, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

77. I agree with mick (Nov. 7, 2012 @ 8:00 am). The free ESV (not the Study Bible) downloadable from amazon.com worked very nicely for Kindle Touch, until the Kindle Touch software changed, and now it works badly. Today I have been trying to navigate the ESV on a Kindle Paperwhite, and it has the same problems.

For example, if I’m reading in Revelation and want to go to Ezra (with menus, not by typing abbreviations), I have to tap the top of the screen, select Go To, select Beginning (because I can’t select Ezra, and I don’t see any way to scroll), tap the top again, Go To, The ESV Bible, and then page to Ezra. I can’t find an easier way to get to the Table of Contents than that if I’m in a late book of the Bible.

The instructions for using the concordance also do not work exactly as described in the instructions. To search for “Job”, I have to tap the top of the screen, select the search icon, type “c..job”, and then (instead of hitting the carriage return or “enter”), I change This Book to Index Items, and then select “c..job”.

I appreciate the free software, and it appears someone else caused the problem by changing the Kindle’s own software or something, but if this ESV software could be fixed, it would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment by Duane — January 3, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

78. Update of my post above: I found out how to scroll through the menu after hitting “Go To”, just by sweeping vertically through the items listed, so that may address the first of the two items I listed.

Comment by Duane — January 4, 2013 @ 12:57 am

79. Will the full navigation features be available on Kindle apps for tablets?

Comment by tport — March 4, 2013 @ 10:13 am

80. Angi Cheathum,
    Do you have any info for android tablet users for the Kindle Reader App. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I have other reader apps on my devise. I want to download the Esv Study Bible. I have the printed version but have trouble resding it as I am 70. My thoughts are if I use the tablet I can make the text as large as I need to. But I don’t want to loose the study notes that make this Bible so great for me.

Comment by Frank Fulmer — April 9, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

81. [url=http://oakleyoakley.blogspot.com/]オークリー レイダー[/url]

[url=http://oakley-stores.blogspot.com/]オークリー ヘッドカバー[/url]

[url=http://oakleywatchs.blogspot.com/]オークリー パーカー[/url]

[url=http://oakleymonsterdogsd.blogspot.com/]オークリー half jacket[/url]

[url=http://oakleyhghjinx.blogspot.com/]オークリー ハイジンクス[/url]

Comment by SleewsJexpels — April 9, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

82. Amazon’s product description posted on August 10, 2010 describes the Kindle version of the ESV MacArthur study Bible as “Kindle’s index feature can be used to navigate directly to any verse.” This was true at that time, but since the Bible was revised, Crossway used a different format, and as a result it no longer has a direct verse navigation feature. I notified Amazon of this error but so far they have not corrected the product description. The product description also fails to show the Kindle version was revised – only customers who previously purchased it and were offered the update have knowledge of this fact. As some of the previous posts show, Amazon’s product description does not show what Kindle version is being offered for sale, which is another problem. Crossway is listed as the Publisher of this product, so I also notified customer service of this issue.

Comment by Rambling Tech — May 4, 2013 @ 9:53 am

83. The ESV MacArthur Study Bible Kinde version that does not have the indexing feature for direct verse navigation now has a concordance (extra 125 pages.) So, if this Kindle version of the Bible has the concordance, it no longer has the index menu feature to access verses quickly and easily. In the Kindle version with the concordance, the navigating instructions state it has something to do with using the KF8 format. After reading the previous posts, it looks like this issue has been going on for quite awhile and isn’t being addressed. My question is, what company can correct this issue – Crossway or Amazon?

Comment by Rambling Tech — May 4, 2013 @ 10:11 am

84. I reinstalled a saved copy of the previous version of the ESV MacArthur Study Bible (one without a concordance) onto my Kindle. The saved version had the index feature. After a reinstall, I once again had the direct verse access feature but no longer a concordance! Because my Kindle operating system was the same for both ESV Bible version installs, I conclude that the formatting issue is related to the book itself and not the Kindle operating system/software. My Kindle keyboard model has version 3.1 operating software while the latest software available for this model is KF8. While the new version of the ESV Bible states in the book itself that the index feature does not work on the KF8 operating system/format, my Kindle using the old 3.1 system with the new ESV MacArthur Study Bible also did not have the index feature. My test showed that the operating system of the Kindle is not at fault for the lack of the book index feature, the new book format itself is to blame! What company is responsible for the Kindle ESV MacArthur Study Bible format – Crossway or Amazon?

Comment by Rambling Tech — May 4, 2013 @ 10:53 am

85. Does either of the MacArthur or the ESV Study Bibles work on the Kindle Fire HD? I see alot of issues with other devices, but would love to utilize all the advertised features on my device. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Comment by Rich V — May 23, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

86. Well, I took a leap and purchased the ESV Study Bible for the Kindle. (I have the Kindle Fire HD, 7″). I would guess that approximately 5% functions. Anytime I touch on a link (highlighted in blue), it goes nowhere. After a minute it states “Amazon Kindle is not responding. Would you like to close it”, then a wait or ok option. Well, the Kindle is working great for other books, including the ESV with cross-references from Crossway. Is there an issue with the ESV Study Bible working on the Kindle Fire HD? I really have my heart set on using this study bible, but struggle at the constant closing while trying to use it. Help? Ideas?

Comment by Rich V — May 26, 2013 @ 2:31 am

87. I have had a similar experience to Rich V (Comment 86) with the ESV Study Bible on a Kindle Fire HD 7″. When touching a link, more often than not the page freezes and the “Amazon Kindle is not responding” message appears. The product is therefore unusable and I have obtained a refund from Amazon within the 7 day returns period. I may consider purchasing again if I have assurance that these fairly basic issues have been resolved.

Comment by Rog E — June 10, 2013 @ 5:14 am

88. I discovered how to navigate to book, chapter, & verse on a Paperwhite. It works on the latest edition of the free Bible, as well as the previous one (for me, esv.2012.04.b.mobi). It is a bit more cumbersome than previous versions, but it works. Steps are

-Have the Bible as the book on screen.
    -select the MENU option (three horizontal lines).
    -select the GO TO INDEX option.
    (the page that appears has a listing of books.)
    -select the SEARCH option (the magnifying glass icon).
    -hit the button to the left of the field in which one enters one’s search (it will show THIS BOOK when opened)
    -choose INDEX ITEMS.
    -enter the book abbreviation, space, chapter, space, and verse number (the last item can be omitted, and it then goes to the start of the chapter when you do the next step)
    -press either RETURN on keyboard or the RIGHT ARROW

And you’re there.

Comment by Jon Arms — June 11, 2013 @ 8:33 am

89. Unfortunately, I couldn’t use this on my Kindle Fire HD. The pages kept freezing, there was no index and I couldn’t use the table of contents. I was really hoping I could carry around this Bible via my Kindle, but no such luck. I’ll try again when the kinks are worked out. I returned it for a refund today after messing with it for 24 hours without success.

Comment by Eliza P — June 16, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

90. BTW, I am having the exact same issues as Rich V. and Rog E.

Comment by Eliza P — June 16, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

91. After returning the ESV Study Bible due to the problems described in my Comment 87 (June 10 2013) I downloaded the Crossway ESV Bible with Cross References (which is free). This showed the same symptoms as the Study Bible, with pages freezing and “Amazon Kindle is not responding” appearing. By accident I found that when using a rather large size 8 font there was no longer a problem, but at any smaller font size the problem returned (this was with the Helvetica typeface). Unfortunately I find size 8 text rather too large, but this is less frustrating than having the pages freeze! It seems as if the fault may be related to having too many “locations” on the display screen. I would be interested to hear whether this works on the Study Bible as well.

Comment by Rog E — June 18, 2013 @ 3:15 am

92. Am having the same problem as the last few comments. When flipping from page to page it is ok but when trying to go to a book of the bible from the contents page it freezes. Thanks for your help.

Comment by Gary — June 21, 2013 @ 5:46 am

93. Ref the ESV Study Bible on a Kindle Fire HD 7″. When touching a link, more often than not the page freezes and the “Amazon Kindle is not responding” message appears

I had the same problem today … contacted Amazon Kindle customer service. They said the issue has been resolved and sent me (via cloud) the corrected version. Now working 100% on the Kindle Fire HD

Comment by Noel Murphy — July 20, 2013 @ 3:28 am