Home > Crossway Blog > Introducing ESV GreekTools

Introducing ESV GreekTools

We’re excited to unveil a new module for your ESVBible.org account that makes original language study of the New Testament simple, accessible, and super affordable.

ESV GreekTools was created to fill the need for an affordable Greek-English resource to aid students, pastors, and interested lay people in the study of the New Testament.  To that end, ESV GreekTools is packed with features for all levels of Greek proficiency.  For a one-time, introductory price of just $9.99, users get access the complete Nestle-Aland 27th Edition of the Greek New Testament, the updated ESV Reverse-Interlinear, and the all new, electronic-only ESV Interlinear.  With a quick click, users can toggle between these resources and access the Greek and ESV New Testaments in whatever display they’re most comfortable with.

What’s more, each of these resources comes fully tagged with an array of data.  For each word, users can view the English Word, Greek Word, Transliterated Greek Word, Greek Lexical Form, Transliterated Greek Lexical From, Parsing, and Strong’s Number.  The display is customizable so users can display as much or as little information as they find helpful for study or devotional reading.

ESV GreekTools also features a simple but powerful Advanced Search tool.  Users can search for Greek or English words by any combination of these four data fields: English Word, Greek Word, Transliterated Greek Word, or Strong’s Number.  The results of these searches give users results that are typically only available in an English, Greek, or Strong’s Concordance.  Better still, users can limit their results by a full set of morphological search options, giving you the power of an advanced word study tool.

And because ESV GreekTools is on the ESVBible.org platform, it works seamlessly with the rest of the resources that you’ve already purchased.

To learn more about ESV GreekTools, or to subscribe today for the introductory price of $9.99, visit www.crossway.org/GRKTLS or click on the content button within your ESVBible.org account.

April 15, 2011 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Digital News,ESVBible.org,Mobile Apps,News | Author: Andrew Tebbe @ 11:06 am | (28) Comments »

1. This looks great!

Will that Greek tools be added to or available on an iPhone app too? If so, will that be an additional cost or come under the same purchase?

Thanks

Comment by ayoungtheologian — April 15, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

2. I have the same question as ayoungtheologian. I would love to see this for the iPhone app. I bought the ESV Study Bible app when it was on sale for $9.99 and it would be AWESOME if the GreekTools could be integrated with the Study Bible app in a coherent whole (i.e. a single application)

Comment by Karl Dahlfred — April 15, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

3. Yeah, I agree. I would buy this immediately if I could know that I could also get it on my iPod. Think you could let us know before the discount runs out?

Comment by Jonathan — April 15, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

4. Excellent work; I didn’t even have to think twice before purchasing this. But I have an aesthetic complaint. The default font size is now a good bit too large, and clicking the minus sign makes it a good bit too small. Moreover, there seems to be no way to tweak the text size of a single frame.

I’ve noticed, also, that paragraphs are no longer indented. Is this change intentional?

Comment by P.S.H. — April 15, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

5. I believe I did see something months ago that the two projects would merge at some point. I also saw mentioned that the ESV iOS study bible app was only the beginning, it would soon be expanded with more buy-in modules.

It would be nice to hear about Crossways’s intentions..!

Comment by Jacques — April 15, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

6. I’m noticing a problem with GreekTools, when I select text, the highlight/copy/share window doesn’t pop up. I’ve tried this in Firefox 4 and Chrome 10, with the same result. Will this be repaired soon?

Comment by Chris H. — April 16, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

7. Chris – Thanks for the note. I’ll get this to our devs and see what the problem might be.

Comment by James Kinnard — April 16, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

8. I received the clarity. Highlighting is not currently available with GreekTools enabled. We hope to bring that additional feature/functionality soon.

Comment by James Kinnard — April 16, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

9. To those asking about integration with iOS apps – we’re working on it, but a solution will likely take some time. There are some pretty serious back end and user-interface challenges to overcome. As to whether or not it will be freely available to those who have already purchased it on ESVBible.org – there are complicated licensing issues so this remains to be seen. When we bring ESV GreekTools to iOS we’ll be sure to let everyone know!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 18, 2011 @ 8:37 am

10. P.S.H. – I’ve passed your comments on to our devs. That’s likely something they can fix in a future iteration. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 18, 2011 @ 8:38 am

11. Excellent!

It would be nice to have parallel Greek/English text instead of just interlinear options.

Greek Text – Full Verse
    ESV Text – Full Verse

Or you could even put the parallel text in a separate window.

Comment by Chris Taylor — April 18, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

12. Fantastic resource. I’ve been hoping for something like this. I’m buying it and have convinced friends to do the same. Here’s my wishlist:

1) Hebrew/Aramaic language tools.
    2) Septuagint.

Thanks for the great Bible tools.

Comment by Stephen Barkley — April 19, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

13. Hi,
    I ordered and paid for the ESV GreekTools about two week ago and so far I haven’t received it. Maybe I did something wrong?

Comment by Glen Francis — April 23, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

14. Glen,

The registration number should have been sent to you via e-mail. I’ve asked a member of our customer service department to follow up with you. They should be contacting you shortly. Thanks!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 25, 2011 @ 8:41 am

15. where can i download the greek font? tried using windows mobile 6.5 but couldn’t see greek font. thanks

Comment by wei yi — May 8, 2011 @ 8:32 am

16. Wei,

Unfortunately we don’t support GreekTools on mobile devices right now. It’s brand new and we’re working on creating a better user experience. Hopefully we’ll have something ready soon! Thanks for your patience.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 9, 2011 @ 9:27 am

17. how can I get this? when I buy it downloads automatically?

Comment by Rodrigo — May 13, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

18. Is the introductory offer of $9.99 still available? I see it’s $14.99 on the website.

Comment by Jonathan M. — May 15, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

19. Jonathan – The introductory price ended on the 13th.

Comment by James Kinnard — May 15, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

20. Rodrigo, when you purchase the registration key from crossway.org/GRKTLS after check out you will be sent a key via email. Use this key at ESVBible.org to unlock the GreekTools.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 16, 2011 @ 10:57 am

21. What is the default Greek font being used? I use Chrome 12 and the font looks a little “blocky”. Normally, I use the freely available TekniaGreek font.

Comment by John Swaney — June 12, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

22. John, we’re using GalatiaSILRegular as the Greek font. Our Manager of Digital Media suggests using a smaller font size to see if it helps with the blockiness. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — June 13, 2011 @ 9:43 am

23. Will you soon have Rahlfs LXX available too?

Comment by Bill — June 15, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

24. Bill, bringing the LXX to ESVBible.org would likely not happen any time soon, as there are a number of projects already in the queue that have priority. I believe it’s been discussed, however.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — June 15, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

25. I am using the trial version of greek tools and the only thing that is working is the advanced search. It is not displaying any greek text. (running OSX 10.7.2 with both google chrome and safari)

Comment by Daniel — October 18, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

26. Daniel, I’m sorry to hear about your trouble with ESV GreekTools. I wasn’t able to replicate the problem – it was working fine for me on Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. I’d suggest trying again later, and if the problem persists contacting our developers through our online forum: http://community.crossway.org/crossway/products/crossway_esvbibleorg

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — October 18, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

27. Can you search phrases as well as words?

Comment by John Mureiko — December 15, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

28. John, I don’t believe you can search by phrase at this point.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 19, 2011 @ 8:55 am