Home > Crossway Blog > 4 Reasons We’re Excited About the Single Column Legacy Bible

4 Reasons We’re Excited About the Single Column Legacy Bible

The Single Column Legacy Bible has just arrived in the Crossway warehouse and is starting to ship. We’re excited about this new edition for at least four reasons.

1. It features a fresh, new design. Every once in a while it’s fun to try new things, and with the Single Column Legacy Bible we started from scratch. It’s based off the Renaissance ideal for a perfect page (HT Robert Bringhurst), which means there’s a precise layout of the text and the margins – what Renaissance thinkers considered perfect proportions. Below is an example of the interior. You can also download a pdf sample.

2. We aimed for a high standard of excellence in production. This is one of the finest-quality Bibles we publish. Because of the nature of this project, we wanted to use select production materials and processes. The paper, binding, and printer were all carefully selected to ensure the quality of this edition.

3. It’s our first Bible that uses line-matching. Line-matching is a process that aligns the text on both sides of a page, minimizing the see-through of text. If you look at your current Bible, chances are you’ll notice slight deviations in how the text was placed on each page. This is because Bible printing presses run the paper at incredibly fast speeds, and it’s very difficult to get the text printed exactly the same on each page. Line-matching is a process that solves the problem and leads to a more visually appealing, readable edition.

4. It’s designed specifically for undistracted reading. Because we wanted this to be an ideal “reader’s Bible,” we chose a single-column format and opted to not include cross-references, introductions, or other special features (although there are maps and a concordance in the back). We also placed the section titles in the margin instead of in-line with the text. The result is an edition where the reader can move smoothly from passage to passage without jumping around or being distracted by added textual divisions.

You can read more about the Single Column Legacy Bible on its product page. It’s available in four covers: two TruTones, a genuine leather, and a top grain leather. We hope you check it out and are pleased with the results!

January 5, 2012 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible News,ESV,News | Author: Andrew Tebbe @ 1:00 pm | (101) Comments »

1. This single column edition looks really good. I have a question, though, about the font. Many printers are going to fonts that are lighter and lighter. It is not the size of the font, but the density and clarity of the font that often produces fatigue in the reader. I suspect these newer bibles are not actually intended to be read. My old NIV single column (circa 1982) is very clear and readable. The font almost looks like it’s in bold. How does this ESV compare?

Comment by John — January 5, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

2. Looks great! Any chance it will come in a more economical hardback edition?

Comment by Jon Marq — January 5, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

3. John, by my estimation this is one of our most readable editions. It uses the Lexicon font, which is widely regarded as one of the most readable fonts. There’s good spacing between the letters and the text lines, and there’s a stark contrast between the text and the paper. Also, the line-matching process makes a big difference in readability.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

4. Jon Marq, we don’t have plans for a hardback edition at this time. Depending on its reception, we might consider other formats in the future.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

5. John —
    The lightness of font issue that you have rightly identified has to do with the difference in ink spread with photo-set type vs digital set type. Digital type is accurate to a fault, which means that the fonts end up lighter on the page. Lexicon was designed for small sizes (dictionary, Bibles, etc) and has good visual blackness on a page, so that shouldn’t be an issue here!

Comment by Alex — January 5, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

6. Are these on display yet in Crossway’s on-site bookstore. I live here in Wheaton and would love to check one out. Thanks.

Comment by Craig — January 5, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

7. Craig, yes they are in the bookstore. Feel free to stop by!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

8. I certainly will, thanks.

One more thing — I hope this isn’t true in the print edition, but in the pdf sample, I’m pretty sure that the footnotes on pages 812 and 813 go with the text on pages 814 and 815.

Comment by Craig — January 5, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

9. Craig, sharp observation!. You are indeed correct. The page numbers are also off. I’m glad to say the footnotes appear on the correct pages in the final print edition. This interior sample was prepared months ago from an earlier proof. It was intended solely to give a brief taste for what the interior looks like.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

10. Phew.

Comment by Craig — January 5, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

11. I just ordered one on Amazon and they said it will ship today. The first paragraph of this post makes it sound like it won’t be shipping for a couple of weeks.

Comment by John — January 5, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

12. John, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll change the wording to make it more clear. Three of the four editions have arrived and apparently have already made their way to Amazon. We’re expecting the Top Grain Leather edition shortly.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

13. Thanks for that update, Andrew. I pre-ordered the Top Grain three weeks ago on Amazon and am *thrilled* to know I might have it before my birthday (24th). I can’t tell you how pumped I am about this edition – it is *exactly* what I’ve been looking for.

Comment by Matthew — January 5, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

14. Sounds like a great Bible, but I’m curious (and no one’s been able to answer my question yet) as to why you stopped making the Single Column Reference Bible? I was able to get one in leather before you discontinued them, but for those of us that switched to ESV from the NASB this Bible made the transition smoother and for me I like to study seeing each verse on its own line. Any chance you’ll be printing this Bible again? Thanks!

Comment by Michael Merriman — January 5, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

15. Okay, saw the verse-by-verse Bible coming out in June!! Thank you!!

Comment by Michael Lee Merriman — January 5, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

16. Matthew, you won’t be disappointed. I’ve looked over an advance copy and can say it truly is a beautiful Bible.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

17. Michael, we discontinued the Single Column Reference Bible for a number of reasons – including the fact that we felt we could make some improvements to the typesetting and layout. I’m pleased to say, however, that we’ll be bringing back a very similar single column edition in our Verse-by-Verse Reference Bible, due out June 2012. You can read more about it here: http://www.crossway.org/bibles/esv-verse-by-verse-reference-bible-none-tru/ or download a sample of the interior here: http://static.crossway.org/excerpt/bibles/verse-by-verse-reference/verse.by.verse.reference.interior.pdf

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 5, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

18. Would the Single Column Legacy Bible include the 2011 changes to the ESV text? I hope so. Many thanks.

Comment by esalisbury — January 5, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

19. This was the exact Bible that I was hoping for but I am concerned about the thickness and the weight. Is it much heavier than the Thinline Bible?

Comment by Phil Chambers — January 5, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

20. This looks to be a very well thought out Bible in design and production. Layout looks great! *I want one for reading :). Great job Crossway!

I have yet to see, touch, hold this Bible in person, but the “specs” look awesome! Yet I also think this Bible may be slightly too big for some pulpits–for the purpose of preaching/public Scripture reading. Thus, 2 concerns I have are the dimensions and weight:

At 6.0 in x 9.0 in and 46.8 ounces, this is a big Bible to carry into the pulpit. This comes in at almost 3 lbs! I understand that something has to give when producing a Bible w/single-column paragraphed text and such readability (9pt font, line-matching, paper opacity). Yet, I think there’s room for a smaller, lighter version of this!

Considering you’ve designed a really good Personal Size Reference Bible at 5.0 in x 7.25 in, and 23.0 ounces, I am thinking we can bring these dimensions to the SC Legacy layout!

It’d make the Legacy even better for carrying around in a more transportable size. Maybe just shrink it a tad to around these dimensions, and only a bit more heavier w/the better paper:).

Maybe a *Personal Size Single Column Legacy* could be something to be had in the future? Anybody else would like this?

Comment by Alex S. Leung — January 5, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

21. Yes, it does include the 2011 changes.

Comment by James Kinnard — January 5, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

22. Andrew, what is the page thickness / type for the Legacy Bible?

Comment by Daniel Viezbicke — January 6, 2012 @ 7:06 am

23. Phil, the Single Column Legacy Bible is almost exactly 1.5 inches thick, with the cover, and weighs 2.75 lbs. The Thinline Bible, by contrast, is 1.125 inches thick (with the cover), and weighs 1.3 lbs.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 6, 2012 @ 8:11 am

24. Daniel, we used 24# paper for the Single Column Legacy Bible. The type is 9 point Lexicon.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 6, 2012 @ 8:11 am

25. Alex, thanks for your comments. We’ve had a number of suggestions for variations on this edition in the past couple days. Depending on this edition’s reception, we can certainly consider larger/smaller formats for the future.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 6, 2012 @ 8:13 am

26. Will there be a thumb indexed edition? I’ve always wanted an ESV thinline with thumb indexed pages, but have never found one. Looking forward to the Legacy edition!

Comment by Jay Bre — January 6, 2012 @ 9:06 am

27. I just stopped by Crossway (thanks for the head’s up, Andrew!), where I was able to flip through the Single Column Legacy Bible, and let me tell you, it is stunning. This Bible is a game changer. Where to begin? The first thing that jumped out at me was the whiteness of the paper, the darkness of the print, and the virtual absence of ghosting. Seriously, the only other Bible I’ve seen that compares to this in terms of opacity is the calfskin NASB LP Ultrathin. It’s not quite to that level (the ESV’s paper is thinner but somehow almost as opaque as that used in NASB), but it’s awfully close and belongs in that category of quality, with everything else in another category. The page layout is fantastic – from the PDF sample, I was expecting the columns to feel wider than optimal. But no. They are perfectly proportioned and very easy on the eyes. And the poetry is just gorgeous. Generous 1.25″ – 1.5″ margins around the outside and bottom margins not only allow for ample notetaking but also create a beautiful frame for the text. Plus, it’s not huge. This is not the Single Column Reference, not by a long shot. More like a hardback novel – very easy to handle and not bulky at all.

Bottom line: The ESV has been a secondary translation for me. But the user-friendly quality of this edition might be enough to make my daily reader. Reading from this Bible will be utterly effortless, allowing the focus to remain entirely on God’s word, where it belongs. Full-time and part-time ESV readers should take a serious look at this Bible.

Comment by Craig — January 6, 2012 @ 9:38 am

28. Just to confirm: the page size is 6×9″???

Comment by Matt M — January 6, 2012 @ 9:40 am

29. Two years ago I purchased the Leather Single Column Reference Bible on sale – not realizing it was a single column. I don’t think I had ever read or used a single column Bible before, but I’ve enjoyed it so much I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a double column!
    So, glad to see this one & others coming out soon!

Comment by Aaron Wilson — January 6, 2012 @ 9:42 am

30. Jay, we don’t have plans for a thumb-indexed edition at this time. Sorry!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 6, 2012 @ 9:55 am

31. Matt, the Bible measures 6″ x 9″. Because the visible page curves into the binding, the functional page size is more like 5.75″ x 9″

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 6, 2012 @ 9:56 am

32. This looks great. I would love to have this as my preaching and teaching Bible.

Comment by Chris Land — January 6, 2012 @ 10:24 am

33. Andrew, will the top grain leather edition be leather-lined?

This Bible really blew me away when I saw it this morning at Crossway — I almost shelled out full price for the genuine leather right there on the spot. Almost.

Comment by Craig — January 6, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

34. I’m excited for this – I’ve been looking for an ESV Bible which is easier to simply read through (without headings breaking up text) – this appears to be a great format!

I’m hopeful and expecting the black, leather bound one to last me many years :-)

Comment by Alden — January 6, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

35. Paul, because his many trials that he endured while serving God are great examples for me how to endure the trial, be thankful for the trial and see that God remains glorified through my trial. Whatever obstacles that may be ahead, look to Paul and see how he persevered through it all. “Whatever gain I had, I counted loss for the sake of Christ.” Philippians 3:7, ESV.

Comment by Kurt Michaelson — January 6, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

36. Wow! This is the format I’ve been longing for. Thanks!

Comment by Larry Wilson — January 7, 2012 @ 8:14 am

37. For undistracted reading I really like single column and the omission of cross-references, introductions, etc… This looks great for home use, but I would like something more portable. I would love to see something similar for the Kindle. The current ESV for Kindle is single-columns, but the in-text cross-references are really distracting. Is it possible to turn off cross-references on the Kindle edition of ESV? Or is there a way to request a future Kindle edition without cross-references?

Comment by Scott — January 8, 2012 @ 8:07 am

38. My favorite is ALSO Paul. God gave Paul an unswerving dedication to truth. Paul loved doctrine AND practical application – a combination that is sorely lacking these days. Paul had to accept the fact that his entire life, everything he believed – was wrong until Jesus saved him. Paul, by Gods grace, seemed to adapt very well – and lived his life in a constant attempt to thank and glorify God. How I wish I could do this better myself!

Comment by Rob — January 8, 2012 @ 10:46 am

39. Scott, we’ve had a couple requests for a Kindle edition without cross-references. I’ll bring it up at our next production meeting.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 8, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

40. Craig, the top grain leather edition is not leather-lined.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 8, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

41. Do you know what kind of lining it will have? (ie paper, leatherette, etc)

Thanks

Comment by Matt M — January 8, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

42. Do you know what kind of lining it will have? (ie paper, leatherette, etc)
    Thanks

Comment by Matt M — January 8, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

43. Matt, the lining is made out of a synthetic material called Skinplast. It’s stronger than paper, and quite durable. We use it on a number of our Bible editions. All of the Single Column Legacy editions are guaranteed for life, so if anything goes wrong you can always trade it in for an edition of equal or lesser value.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 9, 2012 @ 8:40 am

44. Grateful for the excellence and diversity of Bibles you guys provide. I understand that you have to choose specifications based on what would sell the most rather than creating a lot of specialized Bibles based on personal requests. Thanks for what you do. I do have a question. Will a single column Bible always be more pages than a double column because of format? I would absolutely love this single column legacy Bible but want the thickness and weight of a Thinline. I know the wide margins increase the page count but was curious also if being single column increased the page count also.

Comment by Phil Chambers — January 9, 2012 @ 9:12 am

45. Phil, unfortunately the Single Column format necessarily leads to a higher page count. There are also tradeoffs in paper width (and opacity) margin size, and other factors. It’s possible at a future date we’d consider this type of Bible in another format, but as of now we haven’t had those conversations. Thanks for your ideas!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 9, 2012 @ 9:40 am

46. I forget what the answer was, but when are sellers like amazon wxpected Roget the cowhide edition?
    Thanks

Comment by Matt M — January 9, 2012 @ 9:53 am

47. Looks like a great edition. Will this level of craftsmanship be used in some of th eupcoming editions? I am specifically thinking of the Large Print Ultrathin Reference and the Verse by Verse Reference both of which are scheduled for this summer.

Comment by Brian Baker — January 9, 2012 @ 11:34 am

48. Matt, we’re expecting the Top Grain Leather edition into our warehouse either the end of this week or next week. We’ll immediately send it out to resellers like Amazon, who should start shipping it from their website by the end of the month, if not sooner.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 9, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

49. Brian, both the Large Print Thinline Reference Bible and the Verse-by-Verse Reference Bible will be quality editions – they will both have a lifetime guarantee. To save on bulk, however, both will use slightly thinner paper than the Single Column Legacy Bible. They will also be printed at a different printer. The binding and many of the cover materials will be the same.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 9, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

50. This is *almost* exactly what I’ve been looking for! But it’s not quite there (you can’t please everybody!). I don’t like the section headings in the margin. At least for me, they disrupt an otherwise very clean look. I’d lose them altogether. I’d like to get rid of the chapter and verse numbers too. For pure readability, I’d like the text of the Bible presented on its own, as though it were a novel or any other book, not a reference work.

I recently purchased the NIV edition “The Books of the Bible,” published by Biblica, and I think its format is wonderful. I had never thought that all the clutter got in the way until I started reading a Bible without it, and the text seemed to come alive. In addition to studying the Bible, I firmly believe we need to simply read it, to experience it as it was experienced throughout much of its history. There is a huge selection of Bibles available for study, but precious few that are optimized for reading. I think the Single Column Legacy is a step in the right direction, and I was wondering if there were plans to further refine this format in such a direction?

Comment by Bob Z. — January 9, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

51. The Single Column Legacy looks like my dream bible, except for the small print size. Is there any chance that there might be a larger print (10.5 or 11) in the future for us old folks with bad eyes?

Comment by Jim — January 9, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

52. Bob Z. and Jim, since this is a brand new edition for us we’ve only begun having conversations about future, similar editions. As of now we don’t have any firm plans for a refined edition or a larger print edition. Stay tuned!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 10, 2012 @ 8:02 am

53. Andrew, is the Top Grain available for inspection yet over at the Crossway bookstall? I’ve already bought the TruTone from Johnsen & Taylor and am thinking of upgrading, but at that price point, I would like to test drive one first. Thanks.

Comment by craig — January 10, 2012 @ 10:57 am

54. I second the request for a ESV Kindle edition without cross-references!

Comment by Alex S. Leung — January 10, 2012 @ 11:21 am

55. Craig, the Top Grain hasn’t arrived yet, but feel free to stop by and I can show you an advance copy in person. You can get in touch with me by e-mail: marketing@crossway.org.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 10, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

56. I love this Bible! The only suggestion I would make is this-2 ribbon markers instead of just 1. But still, what a fantastic Bible. Thanks

Comment by Michael — January 11, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

57. Andrew,

This Bible looks great! I have no doubt that the cowhide edition will be “tops” all the way. However, my question is about the Genuine Leather Edition. Is this a a fairly decent leather or is it the current thin stuff that seems to permeate leather editions of the Bible? Unfortunately, I think the genuine leather edition of the MacArthur Study Bible falls into this category. The leather is so thin that the enclosed “boards” end up curling and it does not close flat. How is the genuine leather on the Legacy Bible? Thanks!

Comment by Robert — January 11, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

58. Robert, the genuine leather is the same material we use in our other genuine leather Bibles – probably the thin variation you’re describing. I’m sorry about your experience with the MacArthur Study Bible. If it’s really bad you should be able to contact customer service and get it replaced. I personally own another of our genuine leather Study bibles and have found that it has worn well in the past 2.5 years and closes flat. If you decide to purchase this edition, I hope you have a better experience with it!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 11, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

59. I notice the page for the cowhide edition now says “backordered” instead of January 31. What does this mean for those (like me) who ordered from Amazon given what you’ve written above about the expectation of receiving them in the warehouse either in the next day or two or next week?

Comment by Matthew — January 11, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

60. The overall bible is beautiful. the Tru-Tone cover is the best I have seen and rivals the look and feel of $200 goatskin bibles (I have one). The text block and layout is the best I’ve every used – poetry and prose flow naturally across the page and sentences/phrases are not cramped/disconnected as in double-column bibles. The paper is the finest I’ve touched and is ivory in color, smooth, with minimal ghosting (text on other side of page visible through page). Printing density of text from page to page across entire bible is beautifully consistent. The wide margins allow ample space for making notes (I highly recommend a Pigma Micron #005 technical pen for notes).

This is the finest ESV bible I have ever used at any price. Well done, Crossway!”

Comment by Mike Sheppard — January 12, 2012 @ 9:58 am

61. Mike, glad you like it! I’ve also started using it for my personal Bible reading and am enjoying it immensely. Thanks for the kind review!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 12, 2012 @ 10:11 am

62. Andrew,

I just heard about this Bible from J Mark Bertrand’s blog, and I’m pretty excited about it already! I can’t wait to get my hands on it and take a look. I’ve been looking for a reading Bible to replace my ESV Study Bible, and this may be the one.

Of course, I would like to echo Bob Z’s request too! A plain text Bible of this craftsmanship without any headings (even in the margins) or verse and chapter numbers would be the most perfect Bible I could ever imagine. I have looked for a Bible like this for years and have never found one. I even designed and printed my own New Testament just to satisfy my need for a truly readable Bible!

I hope someday a Bible like this can be made! Until then, thank you for such a nice Bible, and keep up the good work!

Greg

Comment by Greg Masone — January 13, 2012 @ 1:12 am

63. So far, the plain ol’ 2-column Large Print is my favorite ESV. But I look forward to seeing this Legacy edition “in the flesh”; pdf’s never quite duplicate the real experience.

However, I’d sure 2nd the motion to have a “de-versified” ESV setting similar to the IBS/Biblica “The Books of the Bible” mentioned above. The book re-ordering and lack of chapter numbers may be a bit over the top for most, but I do believe that incessant verse numbers are a hindrance to reading & comprehension. This Legacy’s clever layout with section headings in the outer margins could readily be modified to include the conventional reference starting point (e.g. “The Flight to Egypt (2.13)” in the pdf sample of Matthew’s gospel) which would permit a “verseless” edition to still be functional in most group discussion situations for most people of average or above literary skills.

Comment by bill — January 13, 2012 @ 8:48 am

64. Greg, I’m glad to hear you’re excited about this edition. Thank you for your feedback on possible improvements that could be made.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 13, 2012 @ 9:26 am

65. Bill, thanks for your ideas. We’ve received a number of comments suggesting such an edition, and will consider it for the future.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 13, 2012 @ 9:27 am

66. Matthew, the shipment of Top Grain Leather Bibles was expected by our warehouse this week, but we just discovered that apparently there’s been a production issue. We’re looking into it as quickly as we can and should have more information after the weekend. I’m sorry I don’t know more right now – we’re still assessing the nature and extent of the problem. I’ll make sure we provide an update via our blog as soon as I can next week. Thank you for your patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 13, 2012 @ 9:39 am

67. Hi, Andrew.

I realize you may not know the nature of the delay with the top grain, but I was hoping to get a legacy soon…since I have the brown on pre-order. Is the delay enough that I should pick up another edition until the brown arrives? I was hoping to use it ASAP for my reading plan.

Comment by Matt M — January 13, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

68. Matt, I completely understanding your predicament as I’m personally trying to make the exact same decision! Unfortunately right now we’re just not sure what’s going to happen. It’s possible there will be a delay, it’s possible there won’t be. We will, however, know more next week. I would say if you can wait until the middle of next week to make a decision, we’ll be able to fully communicate what’s going on and what people can expect. Or if you’d really prefer, you can always order one of the other three editions right now, knowing things are a bit up in the air as to what will happen with Amazon.

Once again, I’m really sorry I can’t tell you more right now. I fully realize you and many others have been patiently waiting for this edition. We’re doing everything we can to get you the information you need as soon as possible.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 13, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

69. While certainly disappointed, I’m thrilled at how helpful you are, Andrew. I think I’ll pray for those in the world without access to a Bible and donate to Wycliffe while I wait. Those of us waiting for the top grain can probably afford it – who’s with me?

Comment by Matthew — January 13, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

70. Matthew, yes, we certainly do live in a world of privileged exposure to the Bible. Thanks for the important reminder!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 14, 2012 @ 9:11 pm

71. Andrew,
    Is the font in the Legacy the same type and size as in the New ESV Classic Reference?

Any word yet on the cowhide editions?

Comment by Steve — January 17, 2012 @ 9:26 am

72. Steve, the font in both editions is the same – Lexicon. The type size is also nearly identical – 9.0 for the Legacy and 8.85 for the New Classic Reference. I will say, however, that the line matching and opacity of the paper in the Legacy Bible lends itself to a (in my estimation) superior reading experience. I haven’t heard anything yet on the Top Grain Leather editions, but I’ve asked for an update. As soon as I know more I’ll be drafting something to post on our blog, Lord willing today or tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 17, 2012 @ 9:52 am

73. Thanks for keeping us updated on the Cow Hide ed…I got so worked up over the news and reviews that have been coming out :)

Should be great when ever it comes out…I may just have to grab a tru tone in the mean time.

Comment by Matt M — January 17, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

74. I received a notice from Evangelical Bible that they shipped my Cowhide Legacy today. Should be at my home on Fri.

Comment by Algo — January 18, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

75. Andrew,

Does Algo’s email from EB mean that Crossway has ok’d the Top Grain Legacies for release? I have one on order from the WTS bookstore and would love to see it soon!

Comment by Craig — January 19, 2012 @ 9:27 am

76. I also received an email from EVB stating that my cowhide had shipped. I asked them if it was a glitch since there seemed to be a halt on shipment. Evidently they received a shipment Inwhich the the editions were without defect.

Comment by Matt M — January 19, 2012 @ 10:13 am

77. Craig, we’re looking into the Evangelical Bible situation. I’m afraid this is all extremely complicated and we’re doing our best to understand what’s going on. As soon as I’m able, I’ll provide an update for everyone. Thanks for your patience. I know you and many others have been waiting for quite a few days. Please know getting you the information you need is a priority for me!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 19, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

78. This is really strange. In the span of a week, we went from “it will be here in a few days” to “its extremely complicated and we will let you know when we have an update.” I’ve already pre-ordered the cowhide and would like to know if it is going to be a matter of days, weeks, or even months (like the rescheduled ESV Clarion).

Comment by Bruce — January 19, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

79. Look at the new blog post, Bruce. 3 months.

Comment by Matthew — January 20, 2012 @ 10:30 am

80. Bruce, I’m painfully aware of how the message we’ve been stating the past couple weeks has kept changing. But please know at no point were we giving you the run-around, or spreading disinformation. The information I shared accurately reflected Crossway’s internal understanding of the scenario as it developed. Which is why I described it as “extremely complicated,” which it is. Please see our most recent blog post on this (published yesterday) that provides an update on the expected timeframe. The short answer is, it will be a matter of months as we have to redo this edition. We understand this will probably prove disappointing and inconvenient for you and others. If you have further questions, I’ll be happy to answer them. Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 20, 2012 @ 10:44 am

81. I visited my local Christian bookstore the other evening to buy an ESV Bible for the reading schedule I just started. In searching online tonight for other possible versions of this “Legacy Edition,” l just discovered that my new Bible is a very recently introduced edition. I am loving it already. It is definitely very readable! Another plus, imo, is that all the letters are black. I think you should add this fact to your list of features. I know there are other folks out there looking for not-red-letter Bibles

Comment by Christine — January 26, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

82. Two years ago I asked for you to consider printing a Bible this size in this format. Now you’ve done it. This is the ESV Bible I’ve been waiting for! What a great Bible! The single column, paragraph format is in my opinion the ideal format for a Bible. Yet previously you did not offer this in a regular size Bible that was not a study Bible. The quality of this edition is magnificent! This is my ideal reading Bible. I own several editions of Crossway Bibles, and this is going to be my favorite, I predict. Fantastic job, Crossway! This is VERY MUCH appreciated! Thanks for listening to your customers.

Comment by Martin Biggs — May 4, 2012 @ 12:17 am

83. Martin, glad to hear it! Thanks for your encouragement!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 4, 2012 @ 7:58 am

84. I am looking for the ESV double column and verse by verse. A slimline for something a little cumbersome to hold when in the pulpit. Any idea’s here, I have yet to find one.

Comment by Bob Lewis — July 17, 2012 @ 10:00 am

85. Bob, we’re working on a couple extra-thin double column editions right now. Stay tuned for more details in the coming months!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — July 17, 2012 @ 10:01 am

86. Andrew,

Would you mind telling me what the line spacing is on this piece of typographical brilliance? Thanks.

Daniel Kahr
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comment by Daniel Kahr — September 10, 2012 @ 11:18 am

87. Daniel,

Thanks for your question. This is from the typesetter who worked on the project: “The leading is set at just under 10.75 pt. Each stanza break or other empty line of space is one full line-space.” Hope that answers your question!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — September 10, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

88. Best format ever!!! The “spoiler” headings no longer interrupt the text, (!!) but being on the outside margin makes them so handy when looking up a passage. The clarity of the print is wonderful and the pages feel amazing! I love how the text has a little room to breathe. I hope you use this layout on a smaller bible someday, but in the meantime, I can’t keep my hands off of hubby’s because it’s so deliciously easy to read! Thank you for making such well made quality options at a very accessible price! Crossway, you’re doing everything right!

Comment by Lana — September 12, 2012 @ 10:36 am

89. Lana, thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. I’m thrilled to hear you’re enjoying the format. This is the Bible I personally use as well, and I think it would be great to see it in a smaller format one day. We’ll be sure to discuss it. Good suggestion!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — September 12, 2012 @ 10:41 am

90. I love the legacy but its too small of a print for my eyes. Any chance you will come out with an ESV, Single Column, Line Matching, Great paper, with indexing soon? Thanks!!!!

Comment by Carolyn Yarbrough — October 30, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

91. Carolyn, thanks for your question. We do have indexed editions of the ESV Study Bible coming out, which feature a single column of Bible text and high-quality paper, but I’m afraid they won’t feature line matching. Beyond that I don’t know of any plans for indexed Bible editions.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — October 30, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

92. I know I am jumping in really late on this thread, but I have to echo the request for a bible like this but without the chapter and verse numbers. I have the single column legacy bible and love it- but it would be amazing to read it as literary text, with no little visual ‘stop signs’ getting in the way. Any plans to come out with one like that? The only PRINT Bible like that I know of is ‘The Books of The Bible’ but that is NIV. What a dream to have an actual ESV printed bible in such a format!

Comment by Tamara — January 28, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

93. Tamara, we have a Bible coming out in May called the ESV Reader’s Bible that will have neither verse numbers nor section headings. You can check it out here: http://www.crossway.org/bibles/esv-readers-bible-cob/

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 29, 2014 @ 8:13 am

94. AWESOME! Can’t wait!

Comment by Tamara — January 29, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

95. Hi, wanna to test if my eyes is capable of reading 9-point text size. May I know if the PDF sample provided is the actual size? Thanks!

Comment by Anthony — March 4, 2014 @ 1:42 am

96. Anthony, yes, if viewed at 100% the PDF sample should provide an accurate representation of the text size.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 7, 2014 @ 8:30 am

97. Are there plans for a thinline reference Bible? I love the single column, reference, and size of a thinline. Is there a Bible currently like that? I know about the personal size but I prefer the height of the thinline. (I know you can’t please everyone but just thought I would ask)

Comment by Phil — March 7, 2014 @ 9:10 am

98. Hi Phil, we’ve actually recently published a Large Print Thinline Reference Bible. Although it’s double-column, not single column, I’m afraid. It would be difficult to produce a true thinline single column edition. Here’s the link to the Large Print Thinline Reference Bible: http://www.crossway.org/bibles/esv-large-print-thinline-reference-bible-tru/

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 7, 2014 @ 9:19 am

99. What a lovely Bible!
    How I wish I was born in America so I could have the priviledge of having expensive Bibles like yours. :)
    I am from a third world country, the PHILIPPINES. Is there anyone here willing enough donate a Bible like this even if it is a used one? I envy some American Christians who have like dozen of Bible and drool for cowhide/calfskin. Been wanting for years to have a Bible that last long for my daily reading and in leading Bible study and preaching. Praying someone wil donate a used leather Bible like this. :)
    God bless you all.
    Sorry for my english.

Comment by Anthony — March 7, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

100. Does Crossway make/sell an ESV with thumb indexing for the bible books?

I am needing an ESV bible, but one having a thumb indexing for all of the 66 bible books!

Thank you!

Comment by DT — April 21, 2014 @ 12:15 am

101. Hi DT, at this point I’m afraid we only offer indexed versions of the ESV Study Bible. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 21, 2014 @ 8:29 am