Home > Crossway Blog > Why Tracts?

Why Tracts?

Tracts are creative, short-form gospel presentations, convenient to use and economical to produce and distribute. They’ve been used by Christians since the 13th century and continue to aid in outreach efforts around the globe to this day.

Crossway, originally known as Good News Publishers, was founded in 1938 through the evangelistic ministry of Clyde and Muriel Dennis, two people who cared deeply about the advance of the gospel. The Dennis family found that tracts could have a unique and strategic role to play in the work of evangelism, printing over 50 million during World War II alone.

Crossway continues to distribute 16 million tracts annually to ministries and individuals actively sharing the gospel. The simple truth is that God still uses tracts today!

If you haven’t used tracts before and aren’t sure how to use them, here are some tips to get started:

• Tracts are tools best used as an outgrowth of relationship, not in place of relationship.
  • Know your audience; choose a design and an approach that fits with the person you’re talking to.
  • When leaving a tract at a restaurant, be generous and thoughtful with the tip amount. Remember that for many servers, you’re representing Christianity as a whole. Use the opportunity to reflect God’s grace and generosity.
  • Tracts are strategic tools, but they aren’t comprehensive. Be ready with other resources such as Christian books to help answer the additional questions that come up.
  • Have your Bible or Bible app close by; ready to read the Word of God with the people you’re caring for.
  • Pray for the people you share with consistently and, on occasion, let them know that you’re praying for them
  • Follow up with the person you’re sharing with and help them find a church.

What an opportunity we have share the good news with the world around us. Please join us in prayerfully considering how God might use you in someone’s life today.

“And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’”— Matthew 28:18-20

For more information on tract resources visit Crossway.org/Tracts or contact: tracts@crossway.org.

March 26, 2012 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Company Updates,News | Author: Crossway Staff @ 3:39 pm | (13) Comments »

1. Hi, I was looking around your website and glanced at a couple of your tracts. I think the one called “10 reasons Jesus came to die” should be reconsidered. I started reading the full text (from your site)and the first one listed (#10) is stretching the scriptures. Ephesians 2:14-… is talking about Jews and Gentiles, not the different races. The separation of Jew and Gentile is not based on race, it is based on their general “standing” with God. Though Jews are typically one race and Gentiles are all the other races. Saying this, I also can see how us sinful humans (Jew or Gentile) could turn this into something like what the tract is presenting, but that is not what the scriptures are saying. I would also like to hear your thoughts on this so please leave a followup comment or email me.

Comment by freeslave92 — October 12, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

2. Dear all;
    my name is Abraham mulatu i am living in Ethiopia Addis ababa i want ask tract

Comment by abraham — November 13, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

3. Found your tract Jesus & Qur’an one of the best tracts I have ever seen for Islamic people. Well done. I would like a supply of these to use in the UK and Ireland. Can U let me know where I can get them thanks? God bless your staff and Labours for Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Son of God who gave himself for us.

Comment by John Foster — November 30, 2012 @ 6:40 am

4. i am in need of tracts to share the Gospel of Christ with Bengali workers around our area. I am living in Kerala state, india.
    Can u help me by sending few valuable Bengali/Hindi tracts?
    Thanks you

Comment by thomas mathew — January 30, 2013 @ 8:33 am

5. need tracts for homeless pple and abused woman

Comment by ola — February 6, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

6. God bless your organization for the work of God. I will like to have tracks for evangelism in my locality in Nigeria, thanks. I shall expect your response

Comment by John Adeyemo — March 31, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

7. I need as many as you can provide – Bible tracts for distribution.

Comment by Nicholas Onsomu Oyaro — April 25, 2013 @ 2:01 am

8. Send some hindi christian tracts

Comment by Dhiraj kumar jal — April 27, 2013 @ 11:24 pm

9. l am nay lin aung. I live in Myanmar

Comment by Nay Lin Aung — May 5, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

10. Pls.send me a tagalog Christian tracts for evangelism….thank you looking forward to grant my request for the glory of GOD….God bless you all in your ministry….

Comment by joseohine — June 14, 2013 @ 6:16 am

11. I would request you to send me as many as you can hindi good news tracts/booklets/pamplets for distributing it to the unsaved souls so that they too may know our Lord is the King of Kings, a Saviour, who died on the cross for our sins and the One who gives us Salvation. God bless your ministry abundantly and each and every person who are working in your ministry. God bless you all.

Comment by Ms. Rudha Jogdand — July 17, 2013 @ 5:51 am

12. Do you still have the tract La Oracion de las Gomitas de Dulce? and do you have a similar one in English?

also is there a tract for 3 things God can’t do?

we have an upcoming out reach we would like these tracts for

also a wordless book (braclet or jelly bean )tract do you have them?

Comment by Janet LaFara — September 30, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

13. Dear Janet,

Thank you for contacting Crossway and Good News with your request. As of September 1, 2012, Good News Publishers and American Tract Society (ATS) have entered into a joint publishing agreement, for the publication and distribution of gospel tracts throughout North America. Due to this slow migration, we do not carry or publish the tract “Jelly Bean Prayer” in Spanish at this time. We understand that there can be some uncertainty or some inconvenience with this change. As a publisher of gospel tracts for nearly 75 years, we would like the opportunity to continue to provide gospel tracts for your ministry purposes.

We also do not carry any wordless booklets or tracts. You can view our current tracts at http://www.goodnewstracts.org, you can reach our children’s list by clicking on the following link: http://www.crossway.org/tracts/choose/#category=CH. If you have any questions with regards to ordering feel free to contact our sales team at sales@crossway.org or at 1.800.635.7993.

Comment by Matt Tully — October 1, 2013 @ 11:46 am