Home > Crossway Blog > 5 New ESV Editions Available Before Fall 2012

5 New ESV Editions Available Before Fall 2012

We have lot of exciting Bible editions in store for the ESV in 2012. We’ve listed below five of the new editions, each available for order from Crossway.org or your favorite retailer by the end of the listed month (the Large Print Compact is already available). We have even more in store for 2012, so keep an eye out in the coming months.

April

Large Print Compact Bible The goal for the Large Print Compact Bible was to combine the convenience of a smaller trim size with the readability that comes with larger type. It features line-matching, a production process that aligns ink on both sides of a page, minimizing show-through. We’ve released it in four TruTone editions, but have plans for more cover options. You can download a pdf excerpt of the interior and compare it to the interior of the original Compact Bible. Below are some comparison photos between the two (Large Print Compact on the left):

May

Vintage Thinline Bible – This is a premium Bible at an affordable price. It features an interior identical to that of the original Thinline Bible, and will come in four cowhide covers available for $99 each. Each cover is crafted by hand, but comes from three pieces of leather instead of one. This makes for a high quality cover with lower production costs. The four covers are pictured below:

June

Verse-by-Verse Reference Bible – The ESV Verse-by-Verse Reference Bible features the Bible text in a single-column format. Displaying each verse on its own line, the Verse-by-Verse Reference Bible was especially designed for preaching, teaching, and in-depth Bible study. We’ve had a lot of requests from pastors for a Bible like this, and hope it’s a helpful edition for everyone who studies and teaches God’s Word! It will be initially released in three covers. Download a pdf excerpt of the interior.

July

Large Print Thinline Reference Bible – This Bible combines the Thinline features with cross-references and a larger type size. The cross-references are located in the bottom corner of each page to help keep the bulk down. Even though the type size is very readable, the Large Print Thinline Reference Bible is still close to one inch thin. This is another edition that will feature line-matching. It will be initially published with four cover options, including a top grain leather edition. Download a pdf excerpt of the interior and compare it to the interior of the original Thinline Bible. Below are photos comparing the two (Large Print Thinline Reference on the left). (Please note the Large Print Thinline Reference Bible below is a pre-production mockup. It’s pictured here for dimension comparisons only.)

August

Single Column Journaling BibleBuilding off the popularity of the original Journaling Bible, we’re releasing a single-column version. Like the original, it will feature two-inch lined margins, but each line of Bible text now has its own line for writing sermon notes, prayers, or other observations you might have. It will be initially published in three cover options. Compare the interior of the Single Column Journaling Bible with that of the original. Below are photos comparing the two (Single Column Journaling Bible on the left). (Please note the Single Column Journaling Bible below is a pre-production mockup. It’s pictured here for dimension comparisons only.)

May 11, 2012 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible News,ESV,News & Announcements,Uncategorized | Author: Andrew Tebbe @ 8:00 am | (19) Comments »

1. SWEET!!! I cannot express the abundant thanks and joy in my heart as I wait in excited anticipation for the new ESV “verse by verse” reference bible to arrive in stores in June! It has everything a biblical student like myself desires – ESV, 2011 text revision, leather bound, reference, verse by verse… I was sad to see 2007′s be discontinued, however glad to hear the 2012 edition will be arriving in less than a month! I can’t wait! I am one satisfied bride!

For His Glory,
    Grace

Comment by grace — May 30, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

2. Grace, thank you so much for your kind words. We’re also excited about this edition and hope it’s helpful to your study of God’s Word!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 31, 2012 @ 8:08 am

3. Do you know if the large print compact will come wrapped in premium leather (calfskin/lamb skin) in the future?

Comment by Jonathan — September 2, 2012 @ 2:04 am

4. Do you ever think you will make a journaling bible for NLT version? I love the journal bound ESV with flap but I prefer NLT version.

Thanks

Comment by Meredith — November 22, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

5. Meredith, I’m afraid we only publish the English Standard Version. I’d recommend contacting Tyndale about such an edition.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 26, 2012 @ 8:09 am

6. Are your ESV large print offerings available in black letter? Red-letter text is harder to read, and red ink fades over time.

Comment by John — December 28, 2012 @ 8:43 am

7. John, we do offer one Large Print Thinline Reference edition in black letter: http://www.crossway.org/bibles/esv-large-print-thinline-reference-bible-tgl/. We’re looking into ways to improve the Large Print Bible in the future, so it’s possible there are other black letter editions in the pipeline. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 28, 2012 @ 8:58 am

8. Does this Bible have the words of Jesus in red letter text?

Comment by Lyn — January 8, 2013 @ 10:25 am

9. Lyn, yes three of the four editions feature words of Christ in red.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 8, 2013 @ 11:27 am

10. Do you know if the large print compact will come wrapped in premium leather (calfskin/lamb skin) in the future? I am thinking of sending my LPC to get rebounded in goatskin but I would wait for a calfskin version from crossway. Please advise

Thanks

Comment by Jonathan Viramontes — January 8, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

11. Jonathan, we don’t have any immediate plans for a Large Print Compact edition in premium leather, but it’s a real possibility for the future. I would recommend you consider getting it rebound, as if such an edition did come out from us it would likely not feature goatskin. Good luck!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 8, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

12. Until recently I have been unaware of a journaling Bible and I really like the layout. I pastor a church and was looking at doing a multi year Bible study and wanted to find a new bible with wide margins to contain my notes as they related to the study. Would you be aware of a Bible with the journaling layout which has a larger print, Christ’s words in red and is leather bound. The actual size of the Bible is really a moot point for myself as the former is of greater importance to me and I do realize that to accommodate larger single column print and the journaling column it would be a large Bible. Thanks for your time, Curt

Comment by Curt — November 22, 2013 @ 9:18 am

13. Curt, we do offer a Single Column Journaling Bible, but I’m afraid the type size isn’t any larger than the original Journaling Bible. It also does not contain Words of Christ in red. Here’s the link, in case you’re interested: http://www.crossway.org/bibles/esv-new-journaling-bible-cow/

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 22, 2013 @ 10:42 am

14. My goal is to find an ESV single column verse by verse Bible that has the words if Christ in red. Does this exist? If yes, where? If no, when will it? Lastly will the ESV SC verse by verse be offered in a premium leather cover anytime soon?

Comment by Matthis Gehring — December 2, 2013 @ 2:26 am

15. Matthis, we offer a single column verse-by-verse Bible, but I’m afraid it does not feature the words of Christ in red. Right now we don’t have any plans to create an edition with red letters, or to offer the Verse-by-verse Reference Bible in a premium leather cover. Sorry to disappoint!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 4, 2013 @ 8:20 am

16. I really, really love the ESV Journaling Bible!!! I was wondering if you guys have plans or I could give you the genius idea of putting margins on both sides of the text. I personally have trouble with not having enough room for all the things I want to write down in my Journaling bible and was wondering if an extra column could be put in these bibles on each page? Thank you! :D

Comment by Melissa Burns — January 21, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

17. Melissa, thank you for this suggestion!

Comment by Lizzy Jeffers — January 22, 2014 @ 10:58 am

18. Hi Is the ESV Large Print Compact Bible smaller enough too put into a jean or coat pocket?

I am looking for a good pocket bible with a readable type, an maker ribbon and a good concordance.

Comment by Josh — March 5, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

19. Hi Josh, it might be just a little big for most pockets on jeans, but I think it would fit most coat pockets.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 7, 2014 @ 8:16 am