Home > Crossway Blog > Introducing “Powered by Glo” ESV Bible Apps

Introducing “Powered by Glo” ESV Bible Apps

Crossway and Immersion Digital have collaborated on two new apps for the iPhone and iPad that pair the award-winning 2009 Bible of the Year (ESV Study Bible) with the award-winning 2010 Bible of the Year (Glo Bible).

The ESV “powered by Glo” apps will allow users to access any Bible chapter or verse in just two taps. Every page of the Bible features relevant videos, artwork, photos, and virtual tours, resulting in an interactive experience that gives users the full 360-degree view of the Bible. The entire Bible and related media are also organized through unique browsing “lenses,” allowing users to sort and search the Bible in a variety of ways, including the “Me” lens, which contains a journal and Bible reading plans. This lens also gives users the ability to connect to social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter, integrating relevant posts so users can see what their friends are sharing from the Bible.

The ESV Bible app is available now for free in the app store, and the ESV Study Bible app is available at an introductory price of $19.99. Users of the original Glo Bible app can now get the ESV translation in-app for $2.99 as well as unlock access to the ESV Study Bible resources.

November 19, 2012 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Apps,Bible News,Digital,Digital,ESV,News & Announcements,Study Bibles | Author: Lindsay Tully @ 8:00 am | (24) Comments »

1. Has the original ESV study bible app been abandoned? It hasn’t been updated for iPhone 5..

Comment by Zhi Wei — November 19, 2012 @ 8:27 am

2. Zhi Wei, no the original Study Bible app has not been abandoned. We’re still hard at work on it, and an update is on its way! This was a side project done completely by a third part, Immersion Digital.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 19, 2012 @ 8:41 am

3. Andrew – thanks for the update here. It’s good to hear the news on an update for iPhone5. My family and I are very grateful for the excellent work being put into these apps.

Comment by Mike — November 30, 2012 @ 6:50 am

4. does the original app refer to the “ESV Study +” app? if so, what is the time frame on the update. It seems that an update that utilizes iCloud syncing has been pending for over one year. there was the faint of an update in April though that did not include syncing.

perhaps the development of this app should by chance be licensed or sold to a third party to integrate syncing more quickly since the sync update is always in the distant future?

Comment by doug — December 12, 2012 @ 9:56 am

5. Doug, the “original Study Bible app” does refer to the ESV Study + app. Thanks for your suggestions on licensing the development of the app to a third party. It actually is being developed by a third party. Cloud syncing, although commonplace in apps these days, is a complex and expensive feature. In our particular case it’s involved an extensive restructuring and recoding of ESVBible.org and related Crossway accounts, which has been the cause of some of the delays.

We are painfully aware of how long app users have been waiting for syncing, and I can only assure you we’re still hard at work on it. I can personally resonate as I waited nearly 2 years for the implementation of cloud-syncing on a separate (award-winning and heavily funded) app. It is indeed exasperating, so thank you for your patience with us.

I won’t offer a firm time frame for its deployment, as that hasn’t served users well in the past (when unforeseen delays and technical hurdles have meant we couldn’t keep the date), but I’ve been told by our developers it should be ready “soon.”

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 12, 2012 @ 11:03 am

6. Andrew & Team, we’re grateful for the commitment to continued development of the app. I can appreciate the complexities of developing and partnering to develop such an app. Our consulting firm is usually the one doing the partnering to help our customers deliver on their web and smartphone app needs. So it’s good to hear that you all are reaching out for specialized strengths. :)

We look forward to it when it’s ready for public use. God bless.

Comment by Mike — December 12, 2012 @ 11:17 am

7. When will the ESV Bible + app integrate/sync with ESVBible.org? I am compiling a number of notes on Iphone app during sermons and am hopeful that somehow I can get them into my online account. Appreciate the work that has gone into the app already! Thanks.

Comment by Will — February 21, 2013 @ 9:31 am

8. Will,

Thanks for your question! We’re currently working on tying ESVBible.org into our mobile apps and hope to have something soon. It’s high on our priority list!

Thanks for your patience!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 23, 2013 @ 10:27 am

9. This App has not been updated since April 9th 2012. I need iCloud syncing between my decices. This was promised in a prior post regarding version 1.4 in July 2011. When will this happen? Until then, can any one suggest an esv bible with this feature? And one with an option for a inverted view feature (black background, white letters)?

Comment by Neil — March 24, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

10. Disregard last comment. Wrong APP. Thanks!

Comment by Neil — March 24, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

11. I noticed in march that you mentioned linking the app with esv.org

Any update on when that may happen? I love my esv app, but am fearful of losing all my notes and not having a back-up.

Thanks,

Keith

Comment by Keith Johnson — May 8, 2013 @ 10:18 am

12. Keith, unfortunately I can’t provide an update on syncing with the ESV app. We’re working on it and should hopefully have more information soon!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 8, 2013 @ 11:53 am

13. Will we ever be able to sync our notes in the ESV study bible on the iphone to the ESV study bible on the iPad? I would really like to see it get to the place that I can write a note in app on my phone and then have it show up in app on my iPad…thoughts?

Comment by Josh — July 1, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

14. Josh, we’re working on it, and hope to have something to report in the coming months.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — July 1, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

15. Will the study bible, with ability to take notes, be available for Android OS in the future?

Comment by Clemson — November 11, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

16. Clemson, I don’t know of any current plans for the ESV Study Bible on the Glo platform to be released as an Android app in the future. Sorry to disappoint!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 12, 2013 @ 8:46 am

17. Sorry I was actually referring to the ESV stand alone Study Bible like the one available for iOS. I have it installed on my old iPad and would really like to install it on my new Samsung Note 8.0.

Comment by Clemson — November 12, 2013 @ 9:45 am

18. Just curious, when will the standard (free and paid) iOS ESV apps be updated? (Not the Glo version). Still hoping for multi-colored highlights, iOS 7 redesign, etc.

Comment by David — November 12, 2013 @ 9:57 am

19. David, we’re working on updates right now. We’re expecting them to be released within the next 4–5 weeks. Stay tuned!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 12, 2013 @ 11:25 am

20. Clemson, oh I see. I do know we have plans to develop an Android version of the Study Bible app, but I’m afraid I can’t provide a firm timeframe for it right now.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 12, 2013 @ 11:26 am

21. Andrew,

I received an email recently saying that iOS notes sync was forthcoming. I always get disappointed when I lose my notes when I reinstall iPhone software or get a new device. It would also be great to be able to take notes on my computer and sync them to my phone and vice versa. Is this actually an upcoming feature?

Comment by Shane Barker — November 14, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

22. Shane, yes, this is an upcoming feature. We’re expecting an update to the app very soon!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 15, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

23. Possibly the best Bible app out there except one little thing! The background color. There is no Sepia option which allows for a much easier read especially for longer periods. Does anyone know why they did not make this option available in the app????

Comment by Jon — November 15, 2013 @ 10:58 pm

24. Thank you for this feedback, Jon – I will be sure to pass this on!

Comment by Lizzy Jeffers — December 18, 2013 @ 9:39 am