Home > Crossway Blog > Introducing the New ESVBible.org

Introducing the New ESVBible.org

We are pleased to announce that a redesigned ESVBible.org is now ready for public beta testing. It features a clean, minimal design, improved navigation, mobile web compatibility, and a new platform that sets the stage for future integration with mobile apps.

The new ESVBible.org is now available to all users. If you don’t already have an ESVBible.org account, it’s quick and easy to set one up. To access the new ESVBible.org, sign in to your ESVBible.org account, navigate to the bottom of the screen, and click on the “Try the new site” link.

Here’s a preview of the new site:

The redesigned ESVBible.org will remain in beta for some time. We will continue to add features and improve the performance of the site before transferring all accounts over. In the mean time, you can switch back and forth between the old and the new sites.

Improvements users can look forward to include:

• Infinite scrolling
• An option for a wider Bible text column
• Improved site performance
• Additional interface themes
• Increased compatibility with Crossway’s ESV mobile apps, including syncing of notes, highlights, reading plans, etc.
• Numerous smaller user interface improvements

On Syncing with ESV Mobile Apps…

Please note that implementing syncing of notes and reading plans between ESVBible.org and the ESV mobile apps will be carefully rolled out in multiple phases in the coming months. We know this is a common feature request many of you have been patiently waiting for. While we can’t provide a definitive timeline, we can tell you the plan is to first provide syncing integration with a new Global Study Bible mobile app, and then integration with the other ESV mobile apps in the early months of 2013.

Mobile Web Compatibility

The new ESVBible.org features responsive design, meaning it automatically adjusts to fit smartphone and tablet screens. This is what it looks like on a smartphone:

To access study notes, personal notes, and other material for a verse, simply tap on a verse number, and a pop-up window will give you available options at the bottom.

Your Feedback and Questions

Some of you will have navigation questions and feature requests. We encourage you to direct all questions and feedback to our online forum, where you can dialogue directly with our developers. You can also subscribe to our tech development blog or follow our developers on twitter. If you’d like to hear from us when we’re ready to roll out significant features, you can sign up to receive ESVBible.org updates.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and the opportunity to serve you through ESVBible.org.

November 2, 2012 | Posted in: Uncategorized | Author: Andrew Tebbe @ 9:03 am | (27) Comments »

1. With the prices of the Logos 5 upgrades, this site might just take off like a rocket!

Comment by Doc B — November 2, 2012 @ 9:58 am

2. Excellent work; this looks very promising. I especially like the ability to color-code my notes.

One caveat: When Greek tools is enabled, the main ESV text column becomes redundant for those using reverse interlinear mode (except, I suppose, for cross references). It should be possible to hide it. It’s also too bad nothing can be placed to the left of the ESV text column, as to my taste annotations would fit better in the far-left margin.

Comment by P.S. Huff — November 2, 2012 @ 11:12 am

3. P.S. Huff, thanks for your encouragement and suggestions. The new ESVBible.org is in public beta (which basically means it’s operational, but improvements still coming) and we’ll be putting the finishing touches on a number of features. We’re working with some limitations, but we are implementing some more flexible options for the windows.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 2, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

4. Just started using the beta and absolutely love it so far.

Comment by D. Zaremba — November 3, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

5. I have the App Version of this program (@ $35, if I recall) . Do I need to purchase this, or are they linkable at this point?

Thanks,
    Dave

Comment by David — November 4, 2012 @ 6:47 am

6. D. Zaremba, really glad to hear you’re enjoying it!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 5, 2012 @ 8:11 am

7. Dave, the mobile app sells for $14.99 in the app store. At this time it’s not linked to the ESV Study Bible Resources module on ESVBible.org, although we are working on it. Regardless, even once it’s linked I’m afraid the two will need to be purchased separately (this is due to restrictions on Apple’s part).

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 5, 2012 @ 8:13 am

8. I’m glad some of you are enjoying the new beta version. The only thing I can access on the beta is the ESV text — not my Study Bible content OR my Greek Tools. AND I can’t revert to the old version where I could access those. If someone with Crossway or ESV is monitoring these messages, please contact me. Thanks.

Comment by Craig Beard — November 6, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

9. Craig, I’m sorry to hear your beta isn’t working well. It sounds like you have some specific issues you’re encountering. I’d encourage you to contact our developers directly via our online forum: http://community.crossway.org/crossway/products/crossway_esvbibleorg_beta. They’ll want details so they can look into the problem(s).

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 6, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

10. I can not open the website and open my esvstudybible online

Comment by Israe — November 6, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

11. When I open the new site on my MacBook it only has the Bible text, and it is only one chapter. I can’t keep scrolling, and I have to click on an individual verse to see the notes. Is that how it is supposed to be? Is there a way to make the notes appear to the side of the text?

Comment by Jared — November 7, 2012 @ 8:42 am

12. Israe, I would recommend trying again later. It should be working on all major web browsers.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 7, 2012 @ 9:16 am

13. Jared, we’re working on “infinite scrolling”, but as the new site is still in beta it hasn’t been implemented yet. To add your study notes as a column next to the Bible text, simply click on the cloud icon at the top and select the study notes.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — November 7, 2012 @ 9:18 am

14. Andrew, I found out that the beta seems to work fine on Google Chrome. The problems I experienced were on Firefox.

Comment by Craig Beard — November 7, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

15. I was wondering I could write an email to the ESV app developers. I love the app not to mention the offline use. Yet I have one small critizism, can the application come with a black or dark gray background. Not only for battery life, but I find it to be excessively bright during night use and adjusting the brightness of my phone/Ipad soley for this app gets bothersome. Honestly I have found myself going back to the daily bible app merely cause of that feature.

Comment by M.Fernandez — December 25, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

16. M. Fernandez, thanks for your comments. I’ve passed them on to our app developers. While I can’t speak to our ESV mobile apps (will counce the idea off our developers), I can say we’re developing themes for ESVBible.org web app, including a night reading theme. The themes should translate across to the mobile version of the web app as well. Hope that helps some!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — December 26, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

17. I hate this version. What was wrong with the version you have now? I love it? Why the need to change something that works so well? And how do I get to the old version. I can’t seem to get to it.

Frustrated

Comment by andy hines — February 16, 2013 @ 6:29 am

18. Andy, thanks for your comment. I’m sorry to hear about your frustrations with the new ESVBible.org site. You should still be able to access the old site if you wish – there is a link at the bottom of the page that reads “try the old site.” Eventually, however, we will be porting all ESVBible.org users over to the new interface.

Part of launching the new ESVBible.org was building out on the back-end in a way that will let us grow and expand into the future. The old site had constraints on it that we simply couldn’t work around. It’s important to note that the new site is still in beta status – we have many improvements and features we will be adding in the coming months and weeks. If there was functionality you liked in the old site, but that’s missing in the new one, chances are good that same functionality is either on its way, or an equivalent is being created.

Once again, I’m sorry for your frustrations. The changes to the site were necessary and inevitable. We’re confident the new interface will actually serve user’s needs better, although, as with any redesigned product, it will take some time getting to that point. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 16, 2013 @ 10:15 am

19. Do you have an estimated date or month that the mobile app will be improved (updated)?

Comment by Alfie — February 18, 2013 @ 3:51 am

20. Alfie, sorry it’s taken me a few days to get back to you. I’m afraid I don’t have an estimated date for the mobile app to be updated. We’ve encountered some unexpected (and unavoidable) delays, but we should have something very soon. Thanks much for your patience! This is something we get asked about every week (if not every day), and it’s very high on our priority list!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — February 23, 2013 @ 10:32 am

21. New site not working for me. Can’t access, can’t find my old notes taken for over a year. Can’t locate old site and would at least like to see where I was in reading so I can choose a similar plan maybe on Gateway. Going to look around.

I was going through the Bible at my own rate and can’t locate where I was and don’t even know which plan I was on. I had it set up where it opened automatically.

I’m very upset as I feel that I’ve invested hours of study time and personal notes and it’s vanished.

I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE OLD SITE ONCE MORE TO ORIENT MYSELF. If I’m unable to use the new site (that I paid for by purchasing a hard copy Bible) I’d like to at least know where I was in order to pick up somewhere else.

Comment by Rhodema Cargill — March 20, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

22. why can’t I get my cross reference up

Comment by Roy Hamilton — March 20, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

23. Rhodema, you can still access the old site for the next few months. There should be a link at the very bottom of the page that reads “try the old site.” You should be able to see all your notes under the “My Notes app”, toggled under the cloud icon at the top of the screen.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 21, 2013 @ 11:08 am

24. Roy, you should be able to toggle cross-references under settings, found under the profile icon in the upper right corner.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 21, 2013 @ 11:16 am

25. I use this program to teach at Faith Academy and I have not been able to log into the esvbible site. If you can please help.

keith mcdougal

Comment by keith mcdougal — May 3, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

26. Keith, we recently combined our crossway.org and ESVBible.org logins. I’m guessing you had a separate crossway.org account and now your ESVBible.org password is no longer working. I would suggest clicking on the “Forgot your Password?” link on the login page. You can of course always reset your password after you gain access. If you continue to have trouble, you can always contact our customer service: service@crossway.org. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — May 6, 2013 @ 11:10 am

27. Look, I like the dual tab interface for online access to the ESV and study notes for mobile. That’s great.

But if I’m not online, I have no access to the notes, and that’s what I really need, why I really bought the ESV Study Bible in the first place.

Any chance that’s coming soon? Please? Pretty please?

Comment by Steve — September 24, 2013 @ 11:35 am