Home > Crossway Blog > Update on iOS ESV Bible App

Update on iOS ESV Bible App

Last month we released a major update to our free iOS ESV Bible app. The update brought several changes to the iPhone app, including a new interface and account syncing.

The big goal of this update was to make “cloud syncing” available between the mobile app and ESVBible.org––our most requested feature. For a variety of reasons, this was an enormously complex project.

While most users haven’t had any trouble with the updates, some have experienced crashing and a few have reported losing personal notes and highlights. If you were one of these people, we sincerely apologize.

We want you to know that we’re working with our developers to fix the bugs as quickly as possible. Because of the complexity, we can’t promise a quick fix, but we’re committed to getting this right.

If Your Data is Missing

Many crashing issues stem from problems related to integrating old user data into the new app. To sync the app with ESVBible.org, we had to rework the way user data was stored in the mobile app. This reworked architecture seems to be what’s causing problems for some.

If you have a backup of the old app on iCloud or on your computer, you should be able to recover your user data. If you do not have a backup, deleting the app from your phone and re-downloading it from the iTunes store will make the app work, but you’ll lose your notes (you’re essentially just downloading the brand new app file).

If you created highlights and notes in the old app, do not delete the app from your phone. We’re working on an update right now that should soon give you access to your notes and highlights. For more instructions on recovering user data from a backup, go here.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for the difficulty this has caused many of you. We are working hard to fix the app as quickly as possible. For specific questions or concerns, please visit our online forum.

January 10, 2014 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible News,Digital News,Mobile Apps,News | Author: Andrew Tebbe @ 10:27 am | (10) Comments »

1. How about syncing and similar features for the paid app: ESV study plus?

Comment by Doug Plank — January 10, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

2. Thanks for the update ( on the update). I haven’t lost any notes but I still can’t open the app on my iPad. It works fine on my iPod.

I appreciate your efforts to provide a great free Bible app. I did want to let you know I’m still having some problems though.

Comment by Philip — January 12, 2014 @ 3:12 am

3. Doug, we have a blip post scheduled for this afternoon that should provide an update on that. Hope that helps!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 13, 2014 @ 6:44 am

4. Thanks Philip. Sorry to hear the iPad app isn’t working for you. We’re working hard on a solution!

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — January 13, 2014 @ 6:46 am

5. Hi,

I noticed the above information is from January, My wife has just updated to io7 and the ESV app at the same time. It is still crashing as many other uses have reported above and on other sections of this website. Is there any updates in the pipeline or some more information about a solution. I haven’t been able to find any current info?? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment by David Hayes — March 16, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

6. Hi David,

I’m meeting with our Digital Projects Manager today to discuss an update. We hope to have something posted soon. Very sorry for your wife’s troubles with the app. Perhaps she can contact customer service and troubleshoot?

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — March 17, 2014 @ 9:18 am

7. This is now April… Still have problems. The ESV study notes no longer scroll with the Bible pages. Actually, they are several chapters ahead of the Bible all the time. Solution for this coming too? When?

Comment by Marcia Swann — April 27, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

8. Hi Marcia,

We hope to have something ready to share soon. Thanks for your patience.

Comment by Andrew Tebbe — April 30, 2014 @ 9:30 am

9. I am using the ESV study bible+ app, I recently got an iPad, but all my notes and highlights are on my iPhone. Is there a way to sync the two?
    Thanks
    – steve

Comment by Steve — July 6, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

10. It’s now July…I would like to use the new apps in the Fall for when I teach. Is there any new information you can give us that is less vague? Thanks.

Comment by Josh — July 7, 2014 @ 11:26 pm