Home > Crossway Blog > ESV Updates for Kindle PaperWhite

ESV Updates for Kindle PaperWhite

Digital Header Image

Amazon Releases Software Update for Kindle PaperWhite

Amazon recently released a software update for both the First- and Second-Generation Kindle PaperWhite devices. First Gen Paperwhite devices should now be running software update 5.4.4.1 and Second Gen devices should run update 5.4.3.1.

While the updates do offer some improvements for accessing notes, managing cloud collections, and reading PDFs, they did cause some issues for readers using our ESV Bible and ESV Study Bible Kindle files. Links within the ESV files displayed incorrectly and caused navigation issues.

Updated ESV Bible and ESV Study Bible E-Books

Updates to the ESV Bible and ESV Study Bible e-books have been released and are currently available. If your Automatic Book Update setting is turned on, the new file should be delivered automatically when you are connected to WIFI. You may need to delete the old file and download it from your cloud account again to receive the update.

To download the new file manually, visit amazon.com/myk to sign into your account and access your bookshelf. There you will see an option to download the update to your chosen device.

ESV Screenshot 2.png

Make sure the Annotation Back-Up setting is turned on before you download the update so all your notes and highlights will be saved.

Check to make sure you have the updated file by navigating to the Copyright page. A version number will be listed under the Text Edition information. The updates will show version number 2014.04.a.mobi.

If you do not receive the update by following these steps, you may need to request the update by contacting Amazon’s Kindle Support.

E-Book Update Fixes

The updated versions of the ESV Bible and ESV Study Bible e-books have removed the link back from study notes, chapter headings, and cross-references. These links have been removed to remedy the linking issue caused by the Kindle PaperWhite software update. To navigate back to the text you were reading before viewing a note or cross-reference, use the Back button on your device or application.

paperwhite.JPG

Read more information about the updates here: First Gen Update; Second Gen Update.

For more digital and tech updates, follow us on Twitter (@CrosswayDigital).

April 30, 2014 | Posted in: AAA - BLOG UPDATE,Bible News,Digital,E-Books,ESV,ESV Study Bible,News & Announcements | Author: Matt Tully @ 8:15 am | (8) Comments »

1. I had to request the update from Amazon, but unfortunately now I’ve lost all of my notes and highlights. Any idea how to get them back?

Comment by Steve Testardi — May 20, 2014 @ 11:04 am

2. Steve,

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, we don’t have any control over notes and highlights since they are saved in your Amazon account. The blog post mentioned turning on “Annotation Back-Up” before downloading the new file. If you did this, you should be able to access your notes and highlights via https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights.

Thanks,
    Matt

Comment by Matt Tully — May 20, 2014 @ 11:17 am

3. Thanks, Matt. I had Annotations Backup turned on, and can indeed see the notes and highlights https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights, but I really want them on my Kindle. I’m working with Kindle Support to see if we can restore them, and I’ll let you know what they find.

I have another question about the update: I think in the prior version I was able to see page numbers in the reading progress, but now it’s not available as a selection. Was that change intentional?

Thanks.

Seve

Comment by Steve Testardi — May 21, 2014 @ 7:27 am

4. Steve,

We don’t do anything with page numbers, so I’m not sure what that change could have been caused by. Sorry that we can’t be of more help! I’d suggest you contact Amazon to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Matt

Comment by Matt Tully — May 23, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

5. Thanks, Matt. Do your Kindle bibles have physical page numbers enabled (e.g. same as the printed editions), or just locations?

Thanks.

Steve

Comment by Steve Testardi — May 25, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

6. Hi Matt,

One more question for you. Amazon has so far been unable to restore the notes and highlights to my Kindle. Can you confirm that the new version of ‘The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References)’ is compatible with the notes and highlights file from the prior version I downloaded on July 20, 2013?

Thanks!

Comment by Steve Testardi — May 27, 2014 @ 10:50 am

7. Steve,

Regarding page numbers, no changes were made to the settings of this ebook or print book since the last update which would affect the page numbers appearing in the ebook. I will check with Amazon to see why they are now missing from the ebook.

Concerning your notes and highlights, sometimes specific locations change due to the adjustments we must make to the files after a Kindle software updates. This may affect the location of your note, but it would not change your ability to access the notes in your account. Your notes are stored in you Amazon account, so Crossway does not have control over how they are stored or displayed.

I apologize for the inconvenience this update has caused. Crossway’s digital team strives to provide the best digital products and keep up with software updates, but sometimes we come up against device or platform limitations and issues that we cannot control.

Thanks,
    Liz

Comment by Liz Young — May 27, 2014 @ 11:43 am

8. Thanks, Liz.

A quick update on this: Amazon’s tech team has so far been unsuccessful restoring my notes for version esv.2014.04.a.mobi. Meanwhile, I’ve been able to access them on Kindle for the PC which was using version esv.2013.05.a.mobi.

Unfortunately today, my Kindle for the PC was updated to v. esv.2014.04.a.mobi, and now all my notes are missing there as well.

So the problem appears to be that notes associated with v. esv.2013.05.a.mobi are incompatible with esv.2014.04.a.mobi. I am asking Amazon to roll back my Kindle to esv.2013.05.a.mobi in hopes that solves the problem, and I’ll let you know the result.

In the meantime, you may want to have your digital team look into the incompatibility, and warn readers of the risk of losing their notes if they upgrade.

Thanks.