Join Scott Anderson as he talks with authors Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert about their newest book What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission. This is a two part interview: Part One spends time getting to know the authors and the backstory of this book as well as talking about “higher level” issues while Part Two (beginning at 47:45) spends time talking about more specific topics and questions raised in the book. Watch the full video or skip ahead to some central themes:
- 16:57: DeYoung and Gilbert share the back story of What is the Mission of the Church?
- 22:24: What do the terms “mission”, “missional”, and “missions” mean? Are these terms still functional?
- 39:39: Should there be a distinction between the mission of the universal Church and the mission of the local church? What is a believers’ individual mission?
- 47:45: DeYoung and Gilbert answer the question “What is the mission of the church?”
- 57:10: A discussion on the nature of Jesus’ mission in the world, how it relates to our mission, and why they are not the same.
- 1:10:40: Why the chapter on Story is so important in relation to shalom, social justice, and God’s mission.
- 1:16:58: What does Scripture say about social justice?
- 1:26:53 – The place of “good works” in the church
- 1:34:08 – Reflection on Jeremiah 29:7 and what it means to seek the welfare (shalom) of the city.