Delighting in the Law of the Lord: God's Alternative to Legalism and Moralism
By Jerram Barrs
... show all
Availability: In Stock
About Delighting in the Law of the Lord
God’s people have neglected God’s law.
We are steeped in a culture in which people hate being told how to live and idolize uninhibited “freedom.” What’s more, many Christians seem to think the law only leads to legalism and therefore doesn’t have a role to play in the Christian life. Yet, regardless of what society or even fellow believers say, we need guidance to truly honor God in everything we think, say, and do.
Jerram Barrs helps us recognize and articulate the immense importance of God’s commands for godly living as he clears away unbiblical ideas that have crept into our thinking. Looking to the teachings of Jesus, this book will lead you to delight in the eternal beauty and life-changing significance of God’s perfect law.
—William Edgar, Professor of Apologetics, Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia
—Nicholas Perrin, Dean, Wheaton College Graduate School
—David Clyde Jones, Professor Emeritus of Systematic Theology and Ethics, Covenant Theological Seminary; author, Biblical Christian Ethics
—Michael Williams, Professor of Systematic Theology, Covenant Theological Seminary
Table of Contents
1. The Good Life: Do We Need God’s Laws Today?
2. The Good Life: Where to Turn: Christianity or Postmodernism?
3. Humanity as the Source of Law, or God?
4. The Beauty of the Law
5. The Giving of the Law at Sinai
6. Law and the Image of God
7. Law and the Image of God II
8. The Spirit of the Law
9. Jesus Expounds the Law
10. Jesus Fulfills the Law
11. Jesus Overcomes the Curse of the Law
12. How Substantial Is the Healing We Can Expect?
13. How Have Different Traditions Understood the Law?
14. Jesus Challenges Additions to God’s Law
15. Jesus’ Attack on Legalism
16. Rules for the Family and Church?
17. Jesus Applies the Law
18. When Should We Use the Law?
19. How Can We Apply Jesus’ Use of the Law?
20. To Which People Ought We to Show and Tell the Law?
21. The Law of God and Our Secular Society
22. Living as Salt and Light in and for the World
23. Old Testament Law: How Should We View It?
24. The New Covenant and the Law
|Size:||6.0 in x 9.0 in|
|Published:||September 30, 2013|