The Three Divine Sisters
Faith, hope, and love are often referred to as three theological virtues—or three divine sisters. The whole Christian life, in terms of our living in response to God and his new work in us, springs from faith, hope, and love. Everything we do as Christians relates to these three virtues.
These theological virtues are graces given to us from a gracious God. With faith, hope, and love, we may say to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ in response to his promises, “a threefold cord is not quickly broken” (Eccles. 4:12).
1. What is saving faith?
Saving faith is the Spirit-enabled embrace of and resting on our faithful God in Christ for the redemption offered by him through the promise of the gospel.
2. What does it mean that faith is supernatural?
That faith is supernatural means that it cannot be experienced according to the natural order of things, specifically the natural ability of man.
Love is the greatest, because it alone will remain in eternity.
3. How should we respond in the trials God sends us?
We should respond by faith in trials, which come as gifts from a good, wise, and powerful God, as he refines and perfects our faith.
4. Is hope necessary for the Christian?
Yes, because we are born into a living hope through regeneration, this grace necessarily manifests itself in this life in expectation of good things from God.
5. Of what use is hope in times of suffering?
In suffering, hope comforts our souls and allows us to live patiently while the church waits for her entrance into glory.
6. How do we show our love for God?
As Christ did before us, we show our love for God by keeping his commandments.
7. What is the chief end of our love to others?
The chief end of our love to others is to glorify God and Christ by loving them first and foremost.
8. Of faith, hope, and love, which is the greatest?
Love is the greatest, because it alone will remain in eternity and because it makes us most like God.
This article is adapted from Faith. Hope. Love. by Mark Jones.
- How to Hope in God When Life Gets Hard (Philip Graham Ryken)
- 4 Things to Remember When Fighting for Faith (Crawford W. Loritts Jr.)
- What’s So Important about Faith, Hope, and Love? (Mark Jones)