In this video, Justin Taylor talks with author and pastor Joe Thorn about walking through difficult seasons and finding refuge in the triune God. Joe is the author a new book entitled Experiencing the Trinity: The Grace of God for the People of God.
- 00:00 - In the book, you talk about "the most difficult season" of your personal life. Can you tell us a little more about what you were struggling with?
- 02:16 - How did the Lord use his grace and other people to help you get through this difficult season?
- 04:40 - The Puritains often noted that sometimes we need something in addition to prayer and the gospel in the midst of trials. Is that a heretical notion?
- 05:30 - Does looking for help from other means necessarily entail a lessened dependance on prayer?
- 06:42 - Why did you want to write this new book? What are you trying to do in the book and who did you write the book for?
- 07:59 - Where does the idea of preaching to yourself come from?
- 09:25 - How would you respond to someone who is in a similar situation—suffering through grief, depression, or anxiety—yet doesn't like the idea of someone "preaching" at them?
- 10:50 - Why is the Trinity so important to the structure of the book?
- 12:47 - What were you praying as you wrote the book?