Honoring Our Pastors
October is Pastor Appreciation Month—a great opportunity to express our affection, respect, and gratitude for spiritual leaders in the church. Pastors and elders bear a heavy load, entrusted with “shepherding the flock” (1 Pet. 5:2) that God has placed under their care.
Although imperfect, spiritual leaders are called to be “above reproach” in all things, that they might be qualified to “care for God's church” and not “fall into disgrace” (1 Tim. 3:2, 5, 7). We, in turn, are called to obey and submit to our leaders “with joy and not with groaning,” since they are “keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account” (Heb. 13:17).
Win a Free Resource Library for Your Pastor
In light of all this, we want to express our love and appreciation for our spiritual leaders this October. Over the next two weeks, we’re inviting you to enter to win a free resource library on behalf of your pastor/elder. In total, there will be 10 randomly selected winners.
2 winners will receive:
- the ESV Pastor’s Bible
- the brand-new ESV Systematic Theology Study Bible
- the ESV Reader’s Bible, Six-Volume Set
- the Preaching the Word commentary series (35 volumes)
- the Theologians on the Christian Life series (14 volumes)
8 winners will receive:
- the ESV Pastor’s Bible
- The Pastor and Counseling: The Basics of Shepherding Members in Need by Jeremy Pierre and Deepak Reju
- Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson by D. A. Carson
- How Does Sanctification Work? by David Powlison
- Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus by Mark Dever
- Reset: Living a Grace-Paced Life in a Burnout Culture by David Murray
- Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry by Paul David Tripp
- The Pastor’s Justification: Applying the Work of Christ in Your Life and Ministry by Jared C. Wilson
- The Imperfect Pastor: Discovering Joy in Our Limitations through a Daily Apprenticeship with Jesus by Zack Eswine
Remember: The purpose of this drawing is to honor and bless pastors/elders; you are entering the drawing on behalf of your pastor/elder. However, if you are a pastor/elder, please feel free to enter for yourself!
How to Enter
To enter the drawing, simply fill out this form, in which we'll ask for:
- your first name
- your email address
- your pastor’s first name
- your pastor’s email address
- your church’s city and state
- how you would complete this sentence: “In the last year, I have appreciated my pastor/elder because . . .” (if you're a pastor, simply write 'N/A')
In early October, we will publish a selection of responses to question 6 in an article aimed at celebrating the many reasons we appreciate our spiritual leaders. Each response featured in the article will also include the respondent’s first name and the church’s city and state.
Enter the drawing on behalf of your pastor or elder today!
Note: Unfortunately, we are only able to offer this drawing to pastors/elders with a mailing address in the United States. Only one entry per person (however, multiple people can enter on behalf of the same pastor/elder).
We are often tempted to find contentment in our circumstances: If things were only going better, then I would be happy.
There are three important factors that will help pastors combat burnout: hardness, honesty, and humility.
When life and ministry demand of you, where do you turn?