Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible: A Guide to Reading the Bible Well
Edited by Wayne Grudem, C. John Collins, Thomas R. Schreiner, Contributions by Darrell L. Bock, David Chapman, Paul R. House, David M. Howard Jr., Dennis E. Johnson, Vern S. Poythress, Gordon Wenham, John DelHousaye, David Reimer, J. Julius Scott Jr.
... show all
About Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible
How do I get more out of my Bible reading?
What was going on during the gap between the Old and New Testaments?
How do all the books of the Bible fit together as a whole?
This book answers these questions and puts clear, readable Bible study aids at your fingertips. It contains thirteen essays from some of today’s best evangelical scholars including C. John Collins, Thomas Schreiner, Gordon Wenham, and Darrell Bock, and will help you to:
- See the big-picture storyline of the Bible
- Understand the theology of the Old and New Testaments
- Read the different sections of Scripture effectively
- Know what happened between the testaments
In addition to essays on each genre of the Bible, the book addresses the general Greco-Roman world and specific Jewish groups at the time of the New Testament. To aid in putting Bible passages in context, it also includes timelines of the Old and New Testaments and intertestamental events.
Useful as both a general overview of the Bible and as a tool for more specific reference and training, this book will help you grow in your understanding of Scripture and your ability to apply the Bible to life.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Old Testament
1. The Theology of the Old Testament by C. John Collins
2. Introduction to the Pentateuch by Gordon Wenham
3. Introduction to the Historical Books by David Howard
4. Introduction to the Poetic and Wisdom Literature by David Reimer
5. Introduction to the Prophetic Books by Paul House
Part 2: Background to the New Testament
6. The Time between the Testaments by J. Julius Scott Jr.
7. The Roman Empire and the Greco-Roman World
at the Time of the New Testament by David Chapman
8. Jewish Groups at the Time of the New Testament by John Delhousaye
Part 3: New Testament
9. The Theology of the New Testament by Thomas R. Schreiner
10. Reading the Gospels and Acts by Darrell Bock
11. Reading the Epistles by Thomas R. Schreiner
12. Reading Revelation by Dennis Johnson
Part 4: Time Lines
13. Old Testament Time Line: An Overview
Intertestamental Events Time Line
14. New Testament Time Line
|Size:||5.25 in x 8.0 in|
|Published:||May 31, 2012|