As I look back on the life that I have lived, I would like to be remembered as a voice—a voice that focused on the authority of the Bible, the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the wonder of his substitutionary sacrifice and atonement for our sins.
I would like to be remembered as a voice calling Christian people to holiness and challenging lapses in Christian moral standards.
I should like to be remembered as someone who was always courteous in controversy, but without compromise.
I ask you to thank God with me for the way that he has led me, and I wish, hope, pray that you will enjoy the same clear leading from him—and the same help in doing the tasks that he sets you—that I have enjoyed.
And if your joy matches my joy as we continue in our Christian lives, well . . . you will be blessed indeed.
—J. I. Packer
Commemorating a Remarkable Life
As we remember the life of J. I. Packer, join us in thanking God for his profound writing ministry and the legacy of his faithful service to the church. Below you'll find free content commemorating Dr. Packer as well as a listing of published books he wrote, contributed to, and edited.
- Watch the Documentary Video
- Download a Free Ebook by J. I. Packer
- Listen to an Interview with Sam Storms about His Life
- Read Articles Related to His Life and Ministry
- Watch a Biographical Video of J. I. Packer
- Watch Videos of Packer Explaining the Christian Faith
- Browse Books by J. I. Packer
In this 15-minute documentary video entitled J. I. Packer: In His Own Words, listen as J. I. Packer reflects on God’s gracious leading and provision in his own life and how he hopes to be remembered.
Interview with Sam Storms
In a special episode of The Crossway Podcast, we remember J. I. Packer. Born in 1926, Packer is widely recognized as one of the most influential theologians of the 20th century. Sam Storms, author of Packer on the Christian Life: Knowing God in Christ, Walking by the Spirit, discusses Packer's remarkable life and ministry. He reflects on how Packer came to faith, the impact that his many books have had on generations of Christians, and how he thought about his own death.
- 10 Things You Should Know about J. I. Packer (Leland Ryken)
- J. I. Packer's Life and Legacy (Justin Taylor, Leland Ryken, and Sam Storms)
- 50 Books J. I. Packer Thinks You Should Read
- A Brief Bibliography of the Writings of J. I. Packer (Sam Storms)
- J. I. Packer’s “Last Crusade”: The Renewal of Catechesis (Joel Scandrett)
- A Brief Word to Packer on His 90th Birthday (Sam Storms)
- J. I. Packer on One of the Most Urgent Needs of the Church Today (J. I. Packer)
- When J. I. Packer Walked Out (Sam Storms)
- 4 Exemplary Character Traits of J. I. Packer (Leland Ryken)
- Where There's Hope, There's Life (J. I. Packer)
- The Fuzzification of Faith (J. I. Packer)
- 17 Questions about Salvation (J. I. Packer)
Watch J. I. Packer answer crucial questions about the Christian faith:
- What Is Repentance?
- What Is Faith?
- What Is the Church?
- What Is Doctrine?
- What Is Christian Unity?
- Who Is the Holy Spirit?
- What Is the Lord's Supper?
- What Is Baptism?
Below is a list of resources that Dr. Packer has written, contributed to, and edited.
Written by Packer
Contributions by Packer
Edited by Packer
The ESV Study Bible—created by a diverse team of 95 leading Bible scholars and teachers—features 20,000 study notes, 80,000 cross–references, 200+ charts, 50+ articles, 240 full–color maps and illustrations, and more.
With 360+ pairs of questions and answers, as well as Scripture references to support each teaching, this catechism instructs new believers and church members in the core beliefs of Christianity from an Anglican perspective.
Thank you, Dr. Packer, for consistently demonstrating a passion for God's glory and a love for his people.